Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How do I install ICC profiles in Lightroom?

I downloaded an ICC profile from a printing service, and I don't seem to be able to use it in Lightroom.

Here's what I tried:
-- Right-clicking on the downloaded ICC profile and accepting Window's option to install it
-- Verifying that the ICC profile was, in fact, installed in the correct Windows system folder
-- In Lightroom, checking "Soft Proofing" in the "develop" window
-- Under "Profile," selecting "Other,"
-- In the dialogue box that comes up, selecting "Include Display Profiles"

...and the ICC profile I downloaded does not show up in the list of options I can check. After much googling, I am stumped. Does anyone have any advice?

(I'm using Windows 7 and Lightroom 5.5).

Thanks!

02-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The icc profiles should be in C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color.
02-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I verified that the ICC profile in question is in that folder, but it doesn't appear in the list of ICC profiles that are available to use in Lightroom. How do I fix this problem?
02-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
I verified that the ICC profile in question is in that folder, but it doesn't appear in the list of ICC profiles that are available to use in Lightroom. How do I fix this problem?
Does the file name end in .icc or .icm? Although I cannot find a definitive answer on the web, it appears to me that Lightroom will recognize only .icm profiles.

02-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It end in .icm. I tried installing some other printers' ICC profiles without problems, so I ended up writing this printing service to see what they have to say. Anyway, I"ll let you know!
02-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
It end in .icm. I tried installing some other printers' ICC profiles without problems, so I ended up writing this printing service to see what they have to say. Anyway, I"ll let you know!
From the blurb.com support website:
QuoteQuote:
Soft proofing and ICC Profiles in Lightroom
Lightroom does not support the CMYK color space, so our profile will not appear in Lightroom's ICC profile list.

Blurb's ICC profile is designed specifically for use in CMYK supported applications such as Adobe Photoshop.
Could this problematic profile of yours be for the CMYK colour space?

Last edited by cpk; 02-10-2019 at 03:47 PM.
02-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quite possibly; the printing service doesn't indicate what color space the ICC profile uses.

02-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think most printing services use CMYK, although you would think that either LR would support CMYK profiles for softproofing or that the services might provide a standard profile.