Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ The old wavelet PP3 files work on that one, but eventually they won't work in the long run once the updated wavelets become a part of the releases.

I personally haven't been using wavelets for a while now. They add another set of complexity to the images & for a lack of a better way of explaining it, the seem to add & reduce fine detail to the images at the same time while adding some high & low contrast. I guess I'm going KISS? Hahahaha!

05-12-2020, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #152
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new batch of PP3 files & a new Windows 64bit dev build on my Google Drive.

What's new? Some tweaking in noise reduction. Particularly the luminance section. There are some minor changes to the capture sharpening when using the "fixed mode. I also moved a few folders around to make better sense of the PP3 files & what they do. That's pretty much it.

All I use for my K-50 files are the basic ISO PP3 files, the Pentax Bright PP3, & fixed capture sharpening. I have these set in my Dynamic Profile Rules. They consist of:
  • ISO 100 - 1600 Non-Pixel Shift PP3s for each ISO
  • ISO 3200 - 51200 Non-Pixel Shift Aggressive NR PP3s for each ISO
  • Pentax Bright PP3 for all ISOs (I basically use the Pentax K-3II Bright DCP file from the Adobe DNG Conveter)
  • Capture Sharpening - Fixed PP3 for all ISOs
That's it. I don't really use anything else. No median filter, luminance curves, wavelets, or any other additional form of noise reduction. It's a less is more kind of thing. I get some mighty fine looking images up to ISO 12800 & it only takes a few clicks for RawTherapee to automatically apply all the proper PP3 files to each image with different ISOs to a few, hundreds, or thousands of RAW files. After that I can send them to the queue & batch them out in no time. It's ridiculously easy. It's almost a crime. Hahaha!

RawTherapee does offer a ton of options, but after years & years of playing with several different settings, I have come to the conclusion that less is more. Sometimes a few more options will work on a certain photo, but for the most part, less settings give you a "cleaner" picture in the end with more color & fine detail.

But yeah! There are a ton of PP3s to play with for those that want to experiment.

OK! Stay safe & have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 06-01-2020 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Weird colorcast issue in latest RawTherapee build.
06-01-2020, 09:43 AM - 3 Likes   #153
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I finally got around to fixing the msys2 installation to compile RawTherapee. There's an issue with the recent GCC 10. All the images come out with a pink color cast. I had to revert to GCC 9.3. With that out of the way, I've been toying around with RawTherapee & have done a few more tweaks to the PP3 files. Mainly noise reduction stuff. I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files on here & a Windows 64bit installation on my Google Drive.

OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 06-29-2020 at 10:35 AM.
06-29-2020, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I have uploaded a new set of PP3 files. There are some noise reduction tweaks & other minor adjustments.

I added 5 new Pentax color tone PP3 files that use the auto-matched tone curve feature in the Exposure tab for those that use jpeg "enhancements" like D-range settings & similar in their cameras. They're located inside the TSM - PP3 Optional - Color folder. They rely on the .dcp files that are included in the zip file. Basically, they won't work correctly, unless you install those .dcp files where they need to go or you edit the PP3 files to point to the correct location of the .dcp files.

Before using a Pentax color tone - Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 file, try using the regular one. If you don't like the result or the brightness & contrast looks a lot different from the OOC jpeg, then use the auto-matched PP3 file. RawTherapee will match the OOC jpeg's tone curve when using the Pentax color tone - Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 file. Keep in mind that there will be times where RawTherapee won't be able to match the tone curve & the image will look washed out. You'll then need to play with the tone curve and/or add contrast or something. The auto-matched PP3 files are set to sRGB color space to avoid shifting the colors a bit too much. You can change it to ProPhoto after if you like. These are meant to be used with the Standard tone curve in the Exposure tab. You can change the tone curve to Standard after applying the PP3 file or keep using the default Film-like curve if you like it.

I have a Windows 64bit build on my Google Drive that uses the Standard tone curve by default instead of the Film-like tone curve used in the regular builds. The PP3 files are already included into the build. You just need to install the .dcp files on your own if you haven't done so already. The instructions are inside the zip file.

One More thing that I did was change the Output Profile to sRGB Color Space Profile instead of using the default RTv4_sRGB profile in the Color Management area of the Color tab. Most image viewers tend to struggle with RTv4_sRGB images. You can still change it if you like, but RawTherapee doesn't show a preview for it. You only notice the difference after comparing a RTv4_sRGB jpeg to an sRGB Color Space Profile jpeg with an image viewer.

OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 07-31-2020 at 08:54 AM.
06-29-2020, 04:42 PM - 2 Likes   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally got a shot of a red squirrel on holiday... Nikon F5, 500mm F4 P, Portra 400 pushed to 800

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was the "other-brand-camera-squirrel-photos" thread... I saw "squirrel" in the title and went ahead

Last edited by RedRuff; 07-12-2020 at 11:26 AM.
06-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Does Nikon makes Pixel Shift pictures?
06-30-2020, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
I finally got a shot of a red squirrel on holiday... Nikon F5, 500mm F4 P, Portra 400 pushed to 800
I've been looking for that fool! He owes me a sack of acorns! Hahaha!

Nice picture. Love the grain.

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Does Nikon makes Pixel Shift pictures?
Not if taken with a Nikon DSLR. The Nikon Z mirrorless cameras with IBIS might eventually get something similar to Pentax's Pixel Shift feature if Nikon can stay afloat in this pandemic & contracting camera market.

07-11-2020, 04:04 AM   #158

Thank you for this work. It is great to see life being made easy for Pentax raw processing as well. Thank you so much!

Last edited by brainwave; 07-11-2020 at 06:42 AM.
07-11-2020, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
I finally got a shot of a red squirrel on holiday
How do you know he was on holiday? maybe he is responsible for cleaning up the forest floor.

Nice shot, in any case.
07-31-2020, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #160
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files. There are some minor changes to the luminance & sharpening settings in the Detail tab.

I added a couple of PP3 files to the TSM - PP3 Optional - Exposure folder. They're PP3 files that use the Auto-match tone curve feature. They use either the camera standard profile or the auto-matched camera profile IF there is a .dcp file for your camera that RawTherapee provides. If not, it defaults to the camera standard profile.

On another note, I've been trying to match the colors & contrast that you get from the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 (PDCU5). I've changed a few contrast & exposure settings for the standard Bright & Landscape PP3 files (not the auto-matched ones) in the TSM - PP3 Optional - Color folder that get much closer to what you get out of PDCU5. The rest of the PP3 files are still the same. The one color tone that is almost 100% the identical to PDCU5 is Natural. What you get out of PDCU5 is the same thing you get out of RawTherapee, but with a bit more color.

Mind you that the PP3 color files are for the K-5 & everything going forward. If you use one of those Pentax color tone PP3 files on the K-7, K10D, & other older cameras, they will end up looking funky.

I did include an additional Natural TSM Edition PP3 file that will give the images some punch. The images have some contrast that is very similar to the Bright PP3, but without the additional saturation of the colors. It's almost close to what DxO puts out as well. Some might like it, some might not, but it's there to toy around with.

Once again, there is a a Windows 64bit installation on my Google Drive for those that just want to install the program & use it.

And there you have it. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 09-16-2020 at 11:03 AM.
08-02-2020, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
On another note, I've been trying to match the colors & contrast that you get from the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5 (PDCU5). I've changed a few contrast & exposure settings for the standard Bright & Landscape PP3 files (not the auto-matched ones) in the TSM - PP3 Optional - Color folder that get much closer to what you get out of PDCU5. The rest of the PP3 files are still the same. The one color tone that is almost 100% the identical to PDCU5 is Natural. What you get out of PDCU5 is the same thing you get out of RawTherapee, but with a bit more color.

Mind you that the PP3 color files are for the K-5 & everything going forward. If you use one of those Pentax color tone PP3 files on the K-7, K10D, & other older cameras, they will end up looking funky.

I did include an additional Natural TSM Edition PP3 file that will give the images some punch. The images have some contrast that is very similar to the Bright PP3, but without the additional saturation of the colors. It's almost close to what DxO puts out as well.
Hello The Squirrel Mafia,
thank you so much for your kindness. I do not use the PDCU5, it doesn't work so well on my computer (unstable with MacOSX) but that's good news for RT users. I work sometimes with Silkypix and I dare to understand that's a similar product to PDCU5 about rendition.
About DxO PhotoLab, that's a pretty good idea to compare noise reduction between the two softwares.
Thank you again.
08-02-2020, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #162
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ You're welcome. The only thing I use PDCU5 for is to extract the embedded jpegs for quick viewing. I don't really use it for anything else, but I do have settings for it where I could process photos. The only problem is that PDCU5 seems to "clip" come of the bright colors & tends to shift them over to a pale color. For example, this will happen when I photograph a scene with very bright colors, like bright lights or something. I'm careful not to overexpose either, but it seems like PDCU5 just "clips" the bright colors. I have gone through just about every single setting & color space combo on PDCU5 & it doesn't matter. It clips the bright colors. RawTherapee & DxO don't do that. The colors are nice & bright. Weirdness.
09-16-2020, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #163
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded some new PP3 files. There are some NR revisions to typical ISO PP3 files. There are some tweaks to the color PP3 files. The images you get from Natural, Bright, & Vibrant are very close to what you get out of the same default color settings in PDCU5. I can't seem to match Landscape & Portrait. I tried to match the brightness & contrast of Landscape, but the colors could be an Adobe .dcp color thing. Portrait doesn't come close to Portrait in PDCU5. Could also be an Adobe .dcp thing.

For those that just want to download & install, you can get a Windows 64bit build from my Google Drive.

OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 10-15-2020 at 09:50 AM.
10-15-2020, 09:48 AM   #164
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've simplified the PP3 files in this latest batch. I'm K.I.S.S.ing it. Hahaha!

As you can see, there are now only 2 noise reduction options: conservative & aggressive. All of the ISO PP3 files are set to either the default AMaZE or RCD+VNG4 demosaicing patterns.

But what about Pixel Shift images? It's quite simple. After applying one of the ISO PP3 files, you can either use the Pixel Shift PP3 file or set the demosaicing manually to pixelshift. Don't apply pixel shift first & then apply an ISO file after. It'll revert to the PP3 file's demosaicing pattern. Make sure that your Processing profile fill mode button is depressed like in the green image below, not the red one.

Want it even easier? You can set up Dynamic Profiles in settings that will automatically do everything for you. You can set them to ISOs, regular images, pixel shift images, by camera, & so forth & so on. It takes a few minutes to do. Give it a try. This is how you'll be able to select all, right click, reset to default, & then send to queue. Send 1 image, 10 images, 100 images, 1,000 images, or whatever you want to the queue with the most minimal amount of input from you. Once you set up the Dynamic Profiles, you'll just need to switch the For raw photos: setting to (Dynamic). The image below give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

So yeah! For those that have Dynamic Profile settings already, you'll need to re-edit them again, since the PP3 names have changed. There is a new dynamicprofile.cfg file that has the basic ISO PP3 files to start with if you want to use it. The instructions are inside the zip file. There is also a Windows 64bit installation in my Google Drive.

OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 10-27-2020 at 12:05 PM.
10-24-2020, 04:33 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to cross post this from the thread about iPhones (that kind of went off course to post-processing):

QuoteOriginally posted by me:
I have a pretty substantial desktop system that I run RawTherapee and I'm still sometimes surprised at the processing power and time it takes to do some tasks. It's a Ryzen 9 3.8GHz 12-core processor, 32G of fast RAM, Sabret Rocket M.2 drive, 8G Radeon video card. And if I turn on capture sharpening, tone mapping, dynamic range compression... it can take 3-4 seconds to crank out a 1:1 rendering of a 24MP K-3ii image. If I look at the system resources I get all 24 threads at 50% or more capacity. I can imagine a mid-level system taking 30 seconds to show you the image, and you'd need to shovel coal in the boiler if the code didn't support multi-core.

I can watch jpeg exports peak briefly at 80% utilization of all 24 threads/cores.
Is this everyone else's experience with RawTherapee? I'm very happy using it for RAW processing, but I'm a little surprised how a few of the functions like capture sharpening and tone mapping take an obvious 3-4 or more seconds to complete even on a higher-end machine. Anyone using a six or eight year old computer or 30+MP files probably takes a coffee break every time one of those functions is called, or you have to export jpgs.