Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2020, 05:59 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I usually keep it simple & typically only use an ISO PP3 file & usually the Pentax Natural PP3 file or the Bright on occasion. RawTherapee is much faster on my newer Ryzen 5 3600 machine with 64GB RAM than my previous FX-8350 machine. It takes about +-4 seconds for each image to process once I send all the RAW files to queue. It would take about +-10 seconds per image with my old FX-8350 machine & about +-14 seconds per image with an old Intel Intel i5-2300 machine. Kind of gives you an idea.

10-27-2020, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #167
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I have some new PP3 files with a few more NR options. I've included a set of L*a*b* noise reduction PP3 files. I have to change the names of the NE PP3 files a bit because of that.

What's the difference between RGB & L*a*b* noise reduction?
  • At higher ISO, the RGB NR is a bit more "cleaner". There is less color noise & false coloring in the images, but it comes with a slight color loss penalty.
  • At higher ISO, the L*a*b* NR has better color retention, but comes with a slight false coloring & color noise penalty. There are times where bright colors can get a little weird too.
  • Each type of NR has it's own luminance & chrominance settings, due to the way how each type of noise reduction works.
And there you have it. More options for you to help you get a "better" image out of whatever camera you use. Mind you that the differences are mainly noticeable at 100% pixel-peeping levels, but you will notice a slight difference when viewing them at regular view. With some of the PP3 files having been renamed, you will need to re-link them in the dynamic profile settings. You can edit the settings in RawTherapee or use the updated dynamicprofile.cfg file in the zip file to get you started. The instructions are inside the zip file. There is also a Windows 64bit installation in my Google Drive.

OK! Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2020-10-27 - PP3 & DCP.zip (458.1 KB, 20 views)
11-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just downloaded RawTherapee for a trial. It seems fairly easy to use, except for one thing. I need help with saving my work as a jpeg or 16 bit tiff. I made a folder to save them in. When I try to save a pic the little red lines moves across showing the program is working. At the very end, a message pops up saying it can't be saved. Think I'm following the downloaded instructions correctly.

Thanks,
barondla
11-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ That's weird. Are you on a Mac, Windows or Linux machine?

11-03-2020, 02:00 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ That's weird. Are you on a Mac, Windows or Linux machine?
Dell i5 8gb Ram Windows 10 laptop that is about 1.5 years old. iirc after hitting save it says it's doing one thing, little red progress line goes all the way to right. It then says it's doing a 2nd thing and the red line also completes. Then it says it's saving. Red bar goes over all most to the end and says it can't save the file. Is it possible I got a bad download and need to delete and re download the program?

Thanks,
barondla
11-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #171
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe it's some weird setting. There's an option file inside the hidden AppData/Local/Rawtherapee folder that you can delete & RawTherapee will return to default. You'd have to redo whatever settings you had again, though.

Did you download it from the RawTherapee site or the one on my Google Drive?
11-03-2020, 08:21 AM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Maybe it's some weird setting. There's an option file inside the hidden AppData/Local/Rawtherapee folder that you can delete & RawTherapee will return to default. You'd have to redo whatever settings you had again, though.

Did you download it from the RawTherapee site or the one on my Google Drive?
From RT. Don't think I changed any default settings. Only worked on one picture and tried to save it. The other thing I notice is images look very soft when opened. Changing the sharpening settings doesn't seem to change anything. Other settings are working in real time, like exposure, color, etc.

Thanks,
barondla
11-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #173
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ That's weird. The only other thing I can think of would be a permission thing in Windows. Try making another folder in a different place.

As far as seeing changes to the image, you have to go 1:1 zoom. If you view it at regular view, you won't really notice anything happening.

11-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #174
Pentaxian

Maybe re-download and re-install? Did you get the officlal release, or a beta release?
11-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #175
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've just started using raw therapy. (Thanks auto-correct). Thasks for excellent thread.
11-03-2020, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I downloaded and installed the windows version from Google Drive yesterday. Following installation, I had a similar issue with the first image that was tested: the save failed. Selecting a an existing folder for the output location folder for the queue solved the problem. I don't remember what the "default" folder location was before the change. I don't know if it matters, but I tend to install new builds in separate folders rather than overwriting an existing installation.
11-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Maybe re-download and re-install? Did you get the officlal release, or a beta release?
The official release. I'm not comfortable enough with computers to use beta software. I may try re-downloading and re-installing.

---------- Post added 11-04-20 at 12:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrill Quote
I downloaded and installed the windows version from Google Drive yesterday. Following installation, I had a similar issue with the first image that was tested: the save failed. Selecting a an existing folder for the output location folder for the queue solved the problem. I don't remember what the "default" folder location was before the change. I don't know if it matters, but I tend to install new builds in separate folders rather than overwriting an existing installation.
Good to know it isn't just me. I will check it out when time permits.

Thanks everyone,
barondla
11-18-2020, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #178
Pentaxian

Original Poster
User tips.

Want to have the least amount of post processing issues with RawTherapee & even some other programs like DxO & similar? It's quite simple. Turn off all D-range settings, noise reduction, lens corrections, aberration corrections, & any other type of jpeg "enhancements" in your camera. Since you are going to be post processing in RawTherapee, you might also want to consider shooting in RAW only. You can shoot in RAW+JPEG as well, but you'll eventually see that what you get out of RawTherapee is much better than the OOC jpeg. The RAW file has a small embedded jpeg as well. You can use that as a reference point. You can extract it with PDCU5 or other jpeg extracting software like dcraw & similar. The embedded jpeg is not as good as an actual OOC jpeg at it's highest quality setting, but it will be a good reference point for you.

Once you turn off all those jpeg "enhancements", you'll notice that the camera is actually a little bit quicker too. You're also probably wondering why you should turn off those jpeg "enhancement" settings. Easy. RawTherapee can't read a lot of those settings. Your camera will "fix" some exposure errors that you might make as you take a picture & when you "chimp" the LCD screen, you'll think that the image came out fine, only to find out that it comes out super dark or super bright in RawTherapee & it looks nothing like the camera's jpeg. Then you'll have to manually try to match the contrast & brightness & that can lead to a lot of frustration. With those settings turned off in the camera, you now have to expose more properly & get the correct shot. When you compare the embedded RAW jpeg or OOC jpeg to the RawTherapee jpeg, they're pretty much dead on when it comes to contrast & brightness. Do keep in mind that the camera tends to oversharpen everything, so OOC jpegs will look a lot more "crisper" than the RawTherapee jpegs.

So what now? What do you do in RawTherapee to make everything quick? If you've set up RawTherapee with the PP3 files & .dcp files correctly, you can batch all your RAW files with a few clicks. The trick is setting up the Dynamic Profile settings so that RawTherapee can apply the correct PP3 files to your RAW images automatically without you doing much. You'll also have to set the Default Processing Profile to (Dynamic). Here are a couple of screen shots to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Once the Dynamic profiles are set, it's just a matter of selecting all your RAW files, right click, reset to default, & then send to queue. RawTherapee will batch them all with the correct settings & you can see the images after. You will have to set the queue location beforehand. Once you compare the RawTherapee jpegs to the OOC jpegs, you're gonna like what you see.

These settings will be similar to other camera makes. Turn off all their jpeg "enhancements" to get the best results in RawTherapee.
11-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using RT for years, and have been quite happy with it. I recently updated my Linux Mint to 20 (latest) and installed RT 5.8 from the repositories. Works fine, except that now it doesn't display the .pef raw files from my old 6 mp *ist D. It will load the thumbnails, but when I select one, the thumbnail and editor screen both go black. It displays all the file information, camera info, exposure info, etc - just not the photo itself. It processes files from my K10D and K5 normally. Any ideas? BTW, thanks for all your work in this thread!
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #180

It may be worth running from the command line and seeing if anything is logged at the terminal. I don't see a verbose switch option unfortunately