Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2019, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded some new PP3 files. There are some minor NR tweaks in the regular ones. There is an experimental folder that has some new profiles for high ISO images. It's still a work in progress, but they basically get rid of most of the low frequency color blotching at the slight expense of losing a bit color. However, the images still look better than the OOC jpegs. Give them a try.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 05-20-2019 at 09:48 AM.
05-20-2019, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded some new PP3 files with some minor NR changes. I also have an updated build for Windows 64 bit in my Google Drive that has the same PP3 files.

I've been playing with some high ISO settings lately. For those that feel OK shooting up to ISO 12800 or even 25600, try the PP3 files in the TSM - High ISO Aggressive NR folder. They'll eliminate a lot of the low frequency color blotching, but at the slight cost of losing a bit of color. The converted images still look better than the OOC jpegs.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 06-10-2019 at 08:55 AM.
05-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks a lot for going to all this trouble.
05-21-2019, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ You're welcome. These are settings that I basically use for my K-50. I've been playing with RawTherapee for several years now. It's my main RAW converter, but I also use PDCU5 & DxO at times. It doesn't take too long for me to make massive changes to the PP3 files when I use Notepad++. Compiling a Windows 64bit build is also quite easy for me now. I've figured out how to change a few settings in the rtengine folder & other stuff to make a build the way I want it. It doesn't really take me much time at all to do this stuff. The developers at RawTherapee have been very helpful too. If it wasn't for them, none of this would happen.

06-10-2019, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

For those of you on Windows 64bit machines that want a simple to install already configured version of RawTherapee, I have uploaded a new build to my Google Drive that has a new batch of PP3 files in it. You can download the zip HERE.

For the rest of you using the builds on the website or compiling your own builds, I've attached a recent set of PP3 files. There are a couple of new folders that have some aggressive noise reduction. Play around with them & let me know what you think. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 06-28-2019 at 11:06 AM.
06-28-2019, 11:06 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I have a new build on my Google Drive with some revamped PP3 files included. The included "ISO" PP3 files have the most basic noise reduction. They will get rid of most of the color noise possible, but still retain most color. The "Aggressive" ones eliminate almost all color noise, but it comes with a cost of losing a tiny bit of color. Neither of those "ISO" PP3 files do much to the luminance (grain) noise. This keeps most of the fine detail intact as the ISO gets higher.

If you don't want any luminance noise in your pictures, then go to the TSM - PP3 Optional folder, you will see 3 files with noise reduction settings. Use these after you apply an "ISO" PP3 file.

Noise Reduction - 1 Wavelets Fine Grain
^ This one refines the luminance noise. The image looks a bit smoother, but still has luminance noise.

Noise Reduction - 2 Smooth
^ This one almost wipes out the luminance noise, at the cost of smudging fine detail a bit. This one reduces the image file size by quite a bit.

Noise Reduction - 3 Wavelets Fine Grain & Smooth
^ This is the most aggressive one. You lose quite a bit of fine detail.

Please note that I have 2 builds in there. One of these has all the "ISO" PP3 files set to the sRGB color space. This is close to what you'll get out of DxO, PDCU5, & your camera. The other one has all the "ISO" PP3 files set to ProPhoto that has a wider color gamut. I personally prefer the sRGB color space, but I know that a lot of folks here love the ProPhoto color space.

The only modification that I do to the RawTherapee build is changing the default Film-like tone curve to a Standard tone curve. I do this by changing FILMLIKE to STD in the improccoordinator.cc & simpleprocess.cc files before compiling.

For the rest of you that download a build from the RawTherapee site or compile your own builds, I'm attaching 2 sets of PP3 files. One with the sRGB color space & the other with the ProPhoto color space. These are the same ones included in my builds. Keep in mind that the website builds use the Film-like tone curve & unless you change those files specified above in your build, you're also using the Film-like tone curve. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 07-08-2019 at 09:38 AM.
07-06-2019, 03:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
UPDATE!

I have a new build on my Google Drive with some revamped PP3 files included. The included "ISO" PP3 files have the most basic noise reduction. They will get rid of most of the color noise possible, but still retain most color. The "Aggressive" ones eliminate almost all color noise, but it comes with a cost of losing a tiny bit of color. Neither of those "ISO" PP3 files do much to the luminance (grain) noise. This keeps most of the fine detail intact as the ISO gets higher.

If you don't want any luminance noise in your pictures, then go to the TSM - PP3 Optional folder, you will see 3 files with noise reduction settings. Use these after you apply an "ISO" PP3 file.

Noise Reduction - 1 Wavelets Fine Grain
^ This one refines the luminance noise. The image looks a bit smoother, but still has luminance noise.

Noise Reduction - 2 Smooth
^ This one almost wipes out the luminance noise, at the cost of smudging fine detail a bit. This one reduces the image file size by quite a bit.

Noise Reduction - 3 Wavelets Fine Grain & Smooth
^ This is the most aggressive one. You lose quite a bit of fine detail.

Please note that I have 2 builds in there. One of these has all the "ISO" PP3 files set to the sRGB color space. This is close to what you'll get out of DxO, PDCU5, & your camera. The other one has all the "ISO" PP3 files set to ProPhoto that has a wider color gamut. I personally prefer the sRGB color space, but I know that a lot of folks here love the ProPhoto color space.

The only modification that I do to the RawTherapee build is changing the default Film-like tone curve to a Standard tone curve. I do this by changing FILMLIKE to STD in the improccoordinator.cc & simpleprocess.cc files before compiling.

For the rest of you that download a build from the RawTherapee site or compile your own builds, I'm attaching 2 sets of PP3 files. One with the sRGB color space & the other with the ProPhoto color space. These are the same ones included in my builds. Keep in mind that the website builds use the Film-like tone curve & unless you change those files specified above in your build, you're also using the Film-like tone curve. Have fun!
Thanks again. Just ran some tests on various high-ISO RAW files and the results look good.

I haven't taken the time to build 5.6, still on 5.5. Do you see any major difference? I looked at the feature list and didn't see much to push me to migrate.

07-06-2019, 04:04 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's an example of a K-3ii file using the new, most aggressive ISO 3200 profile. 100% crop. I think that's pretty impressive for that camera. Used the 55-300 PLM.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Picture looks good. I love the fine grain in it. I wouldn't bother upgrading for now. I have my process almost semi-automated, so I do it every Monday.

I've been working on some PP3 files for the luminance noise. I decided to remove the luminance NR from the main ones 'cause some people love the grain & some don't. I'll be releasing them later. ;D
07-08-2019, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I have uploaded some new PP3 files with some different options. You can see my post above for relevant information.

The only changes are the Noise Reduction PP3 files found in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder. These files reduce the luminance grain. They range from weak to strong. These are the ones that will smoothen out the grain in your higher ISO photos. Each PP3 file has a different combination of Luminance Curve (LC), Median Filter (MF), and/or Wavelets Denoise & Refine (WDR) settings.

I also have some new builds in my Google Drive. Once again, it's a matter of choosing the color space you want: sRGB or ProPhoto.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 08-12-2019 at 09:32 AM.
07-10-2019, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some random thoughts. I've been toying around with even higher ISO photos like a lot of ISO 12800 & ISO 25600 on my K-50. When I'm too lazy to shoot manual or too much in a rush to adjust settings, I can comfortably say that I can leave the auto ISO from 100 to 12800 & even use 25600 in a pinch. I don't use any type of noise reduction settings in the camera, except for the long exposure NR. The camera tends to get really aggressive with NR, especially at higher ISO. I don't mind the luminance noise (grain), but I don't like the high ISO color blotching noise.

For instance, take a look at this test.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/download-image?s3Key=918af...88646846d6.jpg
^ Download this ISO 25600 OOC jpeg.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/download-image?s3Key=87cfb...685767f4df.dng
^ Download this ISO 25600 RAW file.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k50/FULLRES/K50hSLI25600NR0.JPG
^ Same thing with this ISO 25600 OOC jpeg.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k50/FULLRES/K50hSLI25600NR0.DNG
^ Same thing with this ISO 25600 RAW file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y3VkdyABu4p1-T8LOiu8Td0PWuOgENc-
^ Download this PP3 file, apply it to the RAW files, & make jpegs with RawTherapee.

Now compare the OOC jpegs to the RawTherapee jpegs. There's less color smearing, better color, & more detail in the RawTherapee jpegs. It's a better image overall. Obviously ISO 25600 is not really ideal, but it kind of give you an idea of how far one can push their camera in a pinch.

For the first time ever, I think I have exceeded what PDCU5 & DxO can do at those ISOs, although the PRIME NR engine in DxO can do some very interesting things. I still think that PDCU5 has the best color output overall, but RawTherapee has better noise reduction options. All I can say is that processing files in RawTherapee has gotten a lot better throughout the years.
08-12-2019, 09:12 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

There's a new build in my Google Drive & I've uploaded some new PP3 files. The main changes are in the Optional Folder. The basic ISO PP3 files only contain very basic NR settings. To control the luminance (grain noise), you'll have to apply 1 or more of the optional Noise Reduction PP3 files in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder. You'll have to try them out.

The 2 - Optional dynamicprofile Installation folder contains a couple of setting files that you can use to automate RawTherapee for you. The instructions are in there on how to install them. Once you install them, you can process an entire batch of RAW files by simply selecting all the RAW files & then right clicking on any one of them & selecting Processing profile operations > Reset to default & RawTherapee will automatically apply the appropriate PP3 file to each image. It can't get more simple than that. Then you could even right click & send to queue & have RawTherapee batch everything for you. You'll need to specify a few settings in the queue area.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 08-27-2019 at 10:20 AM.
08-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #28

Thanks!

Just wanted to say thank you. This is fantastic work. I have been trying to get used to RawTherapee for a while, and this makes it so much easier.
08-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ You're welcome. I'm glad it's helping you out. The learning curve is pretty steep, but once you understand how it works, it's quite easy to use. Did you download a build from my Google Drive or just the PP3 files?

This is basically my #1 RAW converter. I do just about everything with this. PDCU5 & DxO are the next 2 that I use, but it's only on occasion.
08-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ You're welcome. I'm glad it's helping you out. The learning curve is pretty steep, but once you understand how it works, it's quite easy to use. Did you download a build from my Google Drive or just the PP3 files?

This is basically my #1 RAW converter. I do just about everything with this. PDCU5 & DxO are the next 2 that I use, but it's only on occasion.
I just downloaded the PP3 files, and also using the dynamic profiles. I only found this thread a couple of days ago, but it immediately made using RawTherapee much easier.

I've been using Lightroom since V1, but trying to switch now. Checked out many RAW converters, and liked the optics part of DXO and the Prime NR very much, but for all other features RawTherapee seems to be absolultely no contest better.