Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 194 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Found the solution to my Favorites menu. Somehow, some way, the options file tied to my new 5.9 build is in ~/.config/Rawtherapee5-dev/, not anywhere I logically thought it would be. Probably as a result of some earlier compilation of code for RT where I set up some directory preferences. I have no recollection of this, but the Favorites menu is working, so as long as I remember that I'm good.

I think the missing K-3 Mark III may be tied to lensfun. I'll have to figure out how to update that.

12-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The answer to the K-3 Mark III being recognized in 5.9 was simply "sudo lensfun‑update‑data". I'm guessing that would have fixed the problem in 5.8, too! So looks like I have 5.9 all up and running and customized.

But... it really seems like it takes longer to render/process RAW files that 5.8. Anyone else noticed that?
12-05-2022, 08:34 AM   #318
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Are you using wavelets? That slows down processing by quite a bit.

The camera specific PP3 files that I have use wavelets (i.e.: K-50, K-3II, K-70, KP).
12-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Are you using wavelets? That slows down processing by quite a bit.

The camera specific PP3 files that I have use wavelets (i.e.: K-50, K-3II, K-70, KP).
I'll have to check, most of my standard PP3 files are ones you developed. Although I haven't updated them in quite a while.

12-07-2022, 08:13 PM   #320
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ A lot of them also use double demosaicing as well. That can also slow down RawTherapee a bit.
01-06-2023, 11:28 AM   #321
Pentaxian

dcp files work in ART as well.
01-11-2023, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #322
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files. They have minor tweaks here & there.

For those that shoot their cameras with the D-range (Highlight & Shadow Correction) settings turned off, check out the Highlight & Shadow Correction PP3 files in the TSM - PP3 Optional - Color & Exposure folder. They will reduce overexposure & enhance the dynamic range a bit more. I typically use the Highlight & Shadow Correction 050 -150 PP3 file the most on my K-3II & K-50. Keep in mind that if you shoot a scene with multi-colored lights (i.e.: night scene at Disneyland), you might get some weirdness going on. I still stress that you need to be more careful with exposure out in the field.

By the way, for those that insist on using the D-range settings in their camera & still want to process their RAW files, Digital Camera Utility 5 offers far better results than RawTherapee.

I also have a Windows 64bit build in my Google Drive.

Remember to backup you old PP3 files just in case you don't like the new ones. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 05-05-2023 at 01:05 PM.
02-23-2023, 07:17 AM   #323
Pentaxian

Hello, there's something strange going on with RT 5.9 on my notebook.

I recently ditched Windows 10 and installed Linux Mint XFCE. All is fine, except with RT 5.9 which I got from flathub, as the system package still is version 5.8. The picture shows the issue, RT 5.9 recognizes and shows my sd cards but I cannot access them. I know one has to do a doubleclick. RT 5.8 is working as it should.

When I copy the content of the card into a folder on the harddrive, RT 5.9 gives me access to the raw files, it only isn't possible directly from the card. Having RT 5.9 is important for me, because for several lenses I use, there are no profiles still in RT 5.8.

Hopefully anybody does have an idea what's going on here.

EDIT: Even if I click the arrow beneath "Folders" there is nothing to see.
Uninstall and Install again didn't solve it. When still using Windows RT 5.9 worked fine.

EDIT II: Parsed Extensions are set.
Attached Images

Last edited by Simon K; 02-23-2023 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Added remark
02-23-2023, 07:47 AM   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simon K Quote
Hello, there's something strange going on with RT 5.9 on my notebook.

I recently ditched Windows 10 and installed Linux Mint XFCE. All is fine, except with RT 5.9 which I got from flathub, as the system package still is version 5.8. The picture shows the issue, RT 5.9 recognizes and shows my sd cards but I cannot access them. I know one has to do a doubleclick. RT 5.8 is working as it should.

When I copy the content of the card into a folder on the harddrive, RT 5.9 gives me access to the raw files, it only isn't possible directly from the card. Having RT 5.9 is important for me, because for several lenses I use, there are no profiles still in RT 5.8.

Hopefully anybody does have an idea what's going on here.

EDIT: Even if I click the arrow beneath "Folders" there is nothing to see.
Uninstall and Install again didn't solve it. When still using Windows RT 5.9 worked fine.

EDIT II: Parsed Extensions are set.

Quirk of the build likely since you've grabbed a generic one. I'd see if you can find the system package maintainer and see when it will be updated. Or build it yourself if you are up to it. (I see RT 5.9 is now available on several other Linux distros, so you could always just switch -- try a persistent live usb of another distro maybe and install RT 5.9 on it and see if it works)

Last edited by vonBaloney; 02-23-2023 at 01:04 PM.
02-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Quirk of the build likely since you've grabbed a generic one. I'd see if you can find the system package maintainer and see when it will be updated. Or build it yourself if you are up to it. (I see RT 5.9 is now available on several other Linux distros, so you could always just switch -- try a persistent live usb of another distro maybe and install RT 5.9 it and see if it works)
Thanks, I might try that, finding a 5.9 version somewhere else. Building it by myself would be interesting at least, as I never did something like that before.
02-23-2023, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently ditched Windows 10 and installed Linux Mint XFCE. All is fine, except with RT 5.9 which I got from flathub, as the system package still is version 5.8. The picture shows the issue, RT 5.9 recognizes and shows my sd cards but I cannot access them. I know one has to do a doubleclick. RT 5.8 is working as it should.When I copy the content of the card into a folder on the harddrive, RT 5.9 gives me access to the raw files, it only isn't possible directly from the card. Having RT 5.9 is important for me, because for several lenses I use, there are no profiles still in RT 5.8.
Flatpacks use a sandboxing mechanism, which is maybe what's preventing you to use your files directly from the card - permissions can be added, see the Flatpack documentation. You could also try the AppImage directly available from the RawTherapee project, it does not use any sandboxing.

In general, to minimize wear on your memory cards, copying them to your PC is not a bad idea, this way the pp3 sidecar files will be written there. A great program to do so is RapidPhotoDownloader. I can keep track of what you copied already, so even if you don't delete them from the memory card, you're not ending up with a mess. It can sort files into a directory tree and optionally rename files. I sort them into a 'staging' area by date, which I use for culling, before moving the relevant ones to their final destination, created by hand.

Last edited by JensE; 02-23-2023 at 02:51 PM.
02-23-2023, 02:52 PM   #327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Flatpacks use a sandboxing mechanism, which is maybe what's preventing you to use your files directly from the card - permissions can be added, see the Flatpack documentation. You could also try the AppImage directly available from the RawTherapee project, it does not use any sandboxing.

In general, to minimize wear on your memory cards, copying them to your PC is not a bad idea, this way the pp3 sidecar files will be written there. A great program to do so is RapidPhotoDownloader. I can keep track of what you copied already, so even if you don't delete them from the memory card, you're not ending up with a mess. It can sort files into a directory tree and optionally rename files. I sort them into a 'staging' area by date, which I use for culling, before moving the relevant ones to their final destination, created by hand.
AppImage is interesting...never heard of that. Seems like the way to go.
02-23-2023, 03:53 PM   #328
Pentaxian

Flatpacks use a sandboxing mechanism, which is maybe what's preventing you to use your files directly from the card - permissions can be added, see the Flatpack documentation. You could also try the AppImage directly available from the RawTherapee project, it does not use any sandboxing.In general, to minimize wear on your memory cards, copying them to your PC is not a bad idea, this way the pp3 sidecar files will be written there. A great program to do so is RapidPhotoDownloader. I can keep track of what you copied already, so even if you don't delete them from the memory card, you're not ending up with a mess. It can sort files into a directory tree and optionally rename files. I sort them into a 'staging' area by date, which I use for culling, before moving the relevant ones to their final destination, created by hand.
Thanks for the links, sure will have a look into the Flatpack documentation.
02-24-2023, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #329
Pentaxian

Since Linux is new territory for me, I was not familiar with AppImage. Tried it and RT 5.9 runs without quirks now.
02-24-2023, 05:12 AM   #330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, I might try that, finding a 5.9 version somewhere else. Building it by myself would be interesting at least, as I never did something like that before.
I now build RT at each major update, just so it's optimized for my machine. The AppImage is probably fine, but may be a bit slower.

I have a technical background but am certainly not an advanced programmer, so it's not without challenges. Every time I do it I have to re-remember some quirks. But there are some reasonably good instructions here. With RT's recent Pentax-like release schedule I don't have to do it often.