Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Indeed. The PRIME NR in DxO can deliver some amazing high ISO results, but it does take a bit of time to compute.

RawTherapee is free, though. You can't beat free! Especially when it works. Hahaha!

08-27-2019, 10:19 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I have attached some new PP3 files. They're all the same as previous, with the exception of some new "Pentax" PP3 files found in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder & some new DCP files that use them. There are 3 folders inside the zip files & the how to install directions are in there.

Those "Pentax" PP3 files have the same color settings in your Pentax cameras. Yes. The basic Bright, Landscape, Natural, Portrait, & Vibrant settings are in there. These are meant for the K-5 & all DSLR cameras after that up to the current K-1 Mark II. They don't really work with the K10D & related, but you can give them a try.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 09-11-2019 at 01:05 PM.
08-28-2019, 05:43 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a question I just thought of after processing a ton of vacation photos in RawTherapee. LensFun doesn't have the 55-300 PLM, so I have to go manually select a LCP Adobe profile for that lens.

Can I set up a dynamic profile to auto-detect if the 55-300 PLM was used and apply just the LCP profile to that file (not changing anything else)? I think I can but I haven't tried it out. I've set up dynamic profiles to auto-apply some of the Squirrel Mafia's pp3s to different ISO levels, but I'd also like to do the lens correction, too. I really need to take some time to set this kind of thing up, it would really speed up post-processing and help me to not forget steps.
08-28-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Start by setting up the LCP settings in RawTherapee & saving it as a PP3 file. Then go to that PP3 file & look for [LensProfile] setting. Copy the settings, erase everything in that PP3 file, & then paste the [LensProfile] settings in it. You'll have to put that PP3 file where RawTherapee picks it up. Then you create a dynamic profile setting with that PP3 file in the preferences area. There's an option to type in the lens name so that it recognizes the lens & automatically applies the PP3. I think you'll have to type in the exact lens name that appears in the quick info to get it to work. Then it should automatically apply the LCP every single time when the lens is detected.

09-11-2019, 12:10 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

RawTherapee 5.7 has been released.

I'll get around to making a new build on my Google Drive & uploading some recent PP3 files that I've been messing with. They have some new NR settings that have less color smearing. I'll post back when I do.

Have fun!
09-11-2019, 01:15 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

And here are the new PP3 files. These have some new NR settings. Previously, as the ISO got higher, the colors tended to "smear" a bit. These new ones have far less color "smearing", especially the aggressive PP3 files. The zip files contain everything you need.

There are some PP3 files in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder that require the installation of the DCP files located in the zip. The Pentax Bright, Landscape, Natural, Portrait, & Vibrant PP3 files will not work unless you install those DCP files in the correct place or you edit the PP3 file with your own location.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 10-01-2019 at 10:48 AM.
09-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Thank you for warning us. Nevertheless, the MacOs version seems not to be released yet...

09-12-2019, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I would just like to say that while the 5.7 upgrade doesn't seem like it brings a whole lot, in my not-so-fast laptop, loading and processing seems a bit faster. To me that is a very welcome improvement
Still going over it but it seems nice and stable, hundreds of bug fixes as they said, makes for a smooth performance.
Thanks for the heads up TSM!
09-12-2019, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #39

UPDATE!

And here are the new PP3 files. These have some new NR settings. Previously, as the ISO got higher, the colors tended to "smear" a bit. These new ones have far less color "smearing", especially the aggressive PP3 files. The zip files contain everything you need.

There are some PP3 files in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder that require the installation of the DCP files located in the zip. The Pentax Bright, Landscape, Natural, Portrait, & Vibrant PP3 files will not work unless you install those DCP files in the correct place or you edit the PP3 file with your own location.

Have fun!
I think there's a small mistake in the newest PP3 packages. The Prophoto zip contains the Auto-Match sRGB file instead of the Auto-Match ProPhoto one.
09-12-2019, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asok Quote
I think there's a small mistake in the newest PP3 packages. The Prophoto zip contains the Auto-Match sRGB file instead of the Auto-Match ProPhoto one.
Thanks for pointing that out. I uploaded a new set with the correct PP3.
09-13-2019, 11:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Hello,
has Rawtherapee MacOs update been abandoned?
09-14-2019, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rebuilt the application from source code, pretty simple and straightforward, just replaced the old app and it launches like nothing changed. I don't have an interest in the main new feature (Film Negative Tool), but hopefully the bug fixes and other improvements help out in the background.

I tried The Squirrel Mafia's new PP3 files on my test case high ISO file (kids playing indoor soccer in abysmal lighting) and I don't know that I see any improvements. I don't exactly recall how I got my best results previously, but I can't quite get there with the new version/files. I'm sure it's user error. What might be helpful is a thread where us RawTherapee users try to squeeze the most out of some tough RAW files we make available for download...

---------- Post added 09-14-19 at 09:16 AM ----------

Here, if anyone would like to try a challenge in RT. This is a link to the RAW file I use to test high ISO processing. It's nothing special, but was both underexposed and ISO12800 on a K-3ii, so it's borderline unrecoverable.

I believe the jpg here was processed in Google Nik's noise reduction app, I forget which one that is. I don't use it often anymore because it requires me to boot Windows. I haven't really been able to match or exceed that with RT.

2018-03-10 Scorpions Indoor-8701-1

---------- Post added 09-14-19 at 09:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hello,
has Rawtherapee MacOs update been abandoned?
I doubt it, but it looks like no one has posted the Mac build for 5.7 yet. You could build it from source code yourself, instructions here. I don't know if it's harder on Mac than Linux, but I've compiled on Linux several times without issue and I don't have a computer science degree.
09-17-2019, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Here, if anyone would like to try a challenge in RT. This is a link to the RAW file I use to test high ISO processing. It's nothing special, but was both underexposed and ISO12800 on a K-3ii, so it's borderline unrecoverable.

I believe the jpg here was processed in Google Nik's noise reduction app, I forget which one that is. I don't use it often anymore because it requires me to boot Windows. I haven't really been able to match or exceed that with RT.

2018-03-10 Scorpions Indoor-8701-1.
Challenge accepted. Hahaha!

It's the best that I could do for now. The NIK one seems to have the color a bit smeared. The one I did in RawTherapee has less color smear, but comes with the slight cost of keeping a bit of chroma noise. That link has the image, the PP3 file, & the dcp file I used, so you can load it if you don't have it installed.
09-21-2019, 07:33 AM   #44
Veteran Member

MacOs version has been released. Thank you very much!
09-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Challenge accepted. Hahaha!

It's the best that I could do for now. The NIK one seems to have the color a bit smeared. The one I did in RawTherapee has less color smear, but comes with the slight cost of keeping a bit of chroma noise. That link has the image, the PP3 file, & the dcp file I used, so you can load it if you don't have it installed.
That was pretty good, on par with the Google Nik version. I'll have to look at your settings in the PP3 file and try to take some lessons from it. Thanks!