Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 192 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is my attempt with the latest darktable release. Knocked the saturation down a bit. Noise reduction via two instances of the equalizer module, one for luma and another for chroma, with manual tweaking. - Jack

10-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Quite excellent. Do you have a dstyle or some file you can upload?
10-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a dropbox link to the dtstyle I used:

Dropbox - iso25600.dtstyle - Simplify your life

I added some sharpness via another equalizer instance. Not quite as smooth as the previous but has more edge definition.

Jack
10-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Thanks!

10-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Typically, RawTherapee is rendering the bananas scene too warm. Darktable probably is more faithful to what the actual scene looks like. And the Darktable noise reduction results look pretty good, thought a big part of it is that the Darktable scene seems about a full stop darker. That means it's about 12800 in terms of noise compared to the RawTherapee scene.
10-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For white balance, I spot metered off the grey fabric swatch to the right of the bananas. As for exposure, I kept the histogram inside the highlight clipping boundary since you never know how someone's screen is calibrated.
10-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
As for exposure, I kept the histogram inside the highlight clipping boundary since you never know how someone's screen is calibrated.
The RawThrapee picture above shows a lot more detail in the shadows, while the highlights are just a little more shifted to the bright side. It's a different tone curve, basically adding 'brightness' from 'contrast brightness saturation' and not so much an EV shift in 'exposure'. This still keeps the highlights from clipping, but makes noise reduction a lot more difficult in the shadows. I especially find the color noise on the under- or frontside of the bananas difficult to deal with.

10-17-2019, 01:58 PM - 3 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've been playing around with the PP3 files in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder. Some of the NR settings have been changed, there are some addtional Bright & Natural "Pentax TSM" color profiles with some different settings, & even have some wavelets sharpening stuff. Download them & give them a try. "See what they taste like."

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 11-06-2019 at 10:17 AM.
10-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your continued work on these! I use them as a starting point for my own procession. You’re doing a great service for the open source and Pentax world.
10-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Thanks for your continued work on these! I use them as a starting point for my own procession. You’re doing a great service for the open source and Pentax world.
You're welcome. I'm basically sharing what I've learned in the past 5 years. I hope they help out a lot of people. The RawTherapee developers are a great bunch of people. It's amazing that RawTherapee is free.

If you really take your time, you can fully automate RawTherapee to do everything for you. Once you set the dynamic profiles in the settings, it's as easy as going into a folder, right click select all, & reset to default. RawTherapee will automatically pick the correct PP3 file for each ISO & any other PP3 files you set along with it for each ISO, camera, lens, & so forth & so on. The amount of customization in the dynamic profiles setting is mind blowing. Then you send them all to queue & batch out the entire folder. Good stuff.
10-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really need to set this up. I'd love to have it automatically do the basic development by ISO and by lens as you said. It's always a balancing act--do I spend my limited "me" time shooting, processing, or configuring software? But I really should do it, so I can save processing time later.
10-18-2019, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You should try setting it up. If the PP3 files are installed correctly, you'll be able to access them in the Dynamic Profiles Rules settings.

^ The possibilities are endless. You can specify ISO range, camera model, lens model, & everything else. Like apply this profile to this camera, but not that camera kind of thing.
10-19-2019, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really just trying to pad my post totals here, but I went back and gave another go at your ISO 25600 test file. And I don't know that I'm that happy. The color cast isn't there, but the noise isn't great, either.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-19-2019, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So how about some B&W? This is using the Kodak TMAX 3200 3 Alt film simulation.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
10-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That TMax version looks really good Thor.