Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 193 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Yes. There is definitely way less haloing & artifacts. As the ISO climbs, one needs to use the median filter to avoid over sharpening artifacts. I start using the median filter at about ISO 800 when using Capture Sharpening. I wonder how version 6.0 will eventually turn out.
Any rumors about when a new version will be released? I looked around a little for a schedule and couldn't find anything.

12-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I have no idea. My guess is sometime early next year if it doesn't appear around the holidays.
12-21-2019, 02:10 AM   #93
Veteran Member

and what about a MacOs release without issue?
12-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ It looks like they're still trying to resolve the issue. Version 5.6 is the latest trouble free version for now. I'm guessing is that version 5.8 will hopefully be good to go.

Have you tried building a recent version to see if it works?

MacOS - RawPedia

^ Here's a link with the instructions.

12-28-2019, 03:27 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Squirrel mafia, many thanks for all the work you've done here. I've been using RT for a few years now but bon't appear to have scratched the surface on variety of different functions it can perform. I guess I just need to take the time to work out what does what, but I always feel I need a number of different images to try the same functions on to see the difference.

Oh and the MacOS 5.7 is useless at the moment, Mac put an update out which means 5.7 just run at all. Good job I still have the PC to fall back on.
12-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #96
Veteran Member

^ It looks like they're still trying to resolve the issue. Version 5.6 is the latest trouble free version for now. I'm guessing is that version 5.8 will hopefully be good to go.
Have you tried building a recent version to see if it works?
Hi The Squirrel Mafia,
no I did not!
I should but I am happy with the older version...
Thank you very much!
01-02-2020, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded some new PP3 files. There are some NR tweaks & other stuff. Some folders have been organized & renamed.

There are new builds on my Google Drive too.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 02-04-2020 at 02:54 PM.
01-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #98
Veteran Member

UPDATE!I've uploaded some new PP3 files.
So I'll play dumb for a moment (some would say I have a lifetime of practice} and just ask for clarification in small words and big pictures.

These magical PP3 files are, as far as I can determine, a file of preset settings. When the file is selected and applied, these settings are applied to whichever image is open at the time, giving the user the ability to apply the same preset settings over and over again to many different images. Is this correct?

I'll admit that I've been using RT for a while but have always made changes to the image based on, well I suppose you would say the state of the image itself. If I brighten it or adjust the contrast it is because I feel the image needs to be enhanced in some way.

I have never used presets but that may be because I have never taken the time to see the benefit. So, and with all respect to The Squirrel Mafia for doing this work, what benefits do presets give you if the source images will each be different variations or combinations of light/dark/colours?
01-03-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ No worries. These presets make the process faster & easier for most. They're just starting points. RawTherapee has way too many settings that overwhelm a lot of people. These PP3 files make it very easy to start you off. Eventually one learns how to use RawTherapee & create their own PP3 files or no longer have the need to use them.

I personally use these presets & have RawTherapee automated to select all, reset to default, & batch them out in a flash. Once I see the jpegs, I might spend a few more minutes tweaking a few of those images. This is far faster than manually going one by one when doing several hundreds of RAW files at a time.

One thing that I have noticed is that some settings in the camera like, D-range & shadow correction, for example, will affect how the jpeg looks, but not the RAW file. What ends up happening is that you get either a nice bright jpeg or a dark one, but the RAW file looks completely opposite. Those settings artificially "pump up" the jpegs in the camera. To avoid getting those "extremes", I usually turn off all the enhancements in the camera to get the jpeg to look very close to the RAW file. This way you don't get tricked into thinking that is how the RAW file is going to look.

And there you have it.
01-03-2020, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing that I have noticed is that some settings in the camera like, D-range & shadow correction, for example, will affect how the jpeg looks, but not the RAW file.
D-Range actually does change the raw data - it lowers the sensitivity of the sensor and boosts the data in post-processing (with a shallow curve in the highlights) to compensate for it but retain a lot of the range of the scene. This is why the minimum ISO starts at 200 when D-range is enabled..
01-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #101
Veteran Member

^ No worries. These presets make the process faster & easier for most. They're just starting points. RawTherapee has way too many settings that overwhelm a lot of people. These PP3 files make it very easy to start you off. Eventually one learns how to use RawTherapee & create their own PP3 files or no longer have the need to use them.

I personally use these presets & have RawTherapee automated to select all, reset to default, & batch them out in a flash. Once I see the jpegs, I might spend a few more minutes tweaking a few of those images. This is far faster than manually going one by one when doing several hundreds of RAW files at a time
Thank you for that clear and concise explanation, I appreciate it. I think the critical point for me in your description is when you mentioned doing several hundred RAW files at a time, my current method tends to be to take a number of images then critique them in RT and pick out the best before post processing. It's a minor point but the difference between processing one or two as opposed to processing hundreds would certainly make the investment in the PP3 files worth it.

I'm not saying I won't be using presets, but what I am saying is that for me the volume of images to be processed is not reaching the point where presets are justified.

Again, thanks for the response.
01-03-2020, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ You're welcome. I used to shoot JPEG+RAW, but quite often I'd be post processing several files anyway 'cause the older Pentax jpeg engine kind of sucks. I eventually stopped shooting jpeg all together & stuck with RAW only. Now with a few clicks, I batch everything out without much effort. That's basically my main reason for the presets. Time saving purposes.
01-04-2020, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^ You're welcome. I used to shoot JPEG+RAW, but quite often I'd be post processing several files anyway 'cause the older Pentax jpeg engine kind of sucks. I eventually stopped shooting jpeg all together & stuck with RAW only. Now with a few clicks, I batch everything out without much effort. That's basically my main reason for the presets. Time saving purposes.
Not just time savings for me. I'm not confident in my ability to squeeze a lot out of a high ISO file in RT yet, so whenever the ISO creeps over 1000 step #1 in post is "go find a Squirrel Mafia PP3 for that ISO level." Technically that is time savings, because I'm not at all sure that I could get the same results and I'd be fumbling around in the dark for a long time.
01-26-2020, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've lost the link, but somewhere this morning I saw a thread that seemed to indicate RT 5.8 is slated to go final in early February, and would include Capture Sharpening. Local adjustments will probably not make it in, they'll be saved for a future 6.0 or similar release.
01-27-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Ah yes.

Roadmap for 5.8 · Issue #5446 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

That seems to be the thread. I'm guessing that 5.8 will appear sometime in February or March, unless some major obstacle presents itself, like the Mac OS issue that they're currently dealing with.