Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 194 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2020, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

RawTherapee 5.8 is out!

I've uploaded some PP3 files with some NR revisions & have some Windows 64bit builds on my Google Drive too.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 03-02-2020 at 10:54 AM.
02-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
UPDATE!

RawTherapee 5.8 is out!

I've uploaded some PP3 files with some NR revisions & have some Windows 64bit builds on my Google Drive too.

Have fun!
Tell me what (if anything) I'm doing wrong. I went back to my build-rawtherapee script, as described here, and re-ran it. That should update to the latest version. But when I open RawTherapee I have version 5.7-449-g160aae721. Which I guess is the latest dev build? What do I need to do to compile 5.8?
02-04-2020, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Ah. You'll need to enter these lines.

git checkout releases

cmake -G "MSYS Makefiles" -DLENSFUNDBDIR=share/lensfun -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="release" -DPROC_TARGET_NUMBER="2" -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX="" ..

^ What's in red are the changes. I don't think there's a dev version yet. If you are doing some type of custom configuration in the files, do them after you run git checkout releases.
02-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^ Ah. You'll need to enter these lines.

git checkout releases

cmake -G "MSYS Makefiles" -DLENSFUNDBDIR=share/lensfun -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="release" -DPROC_TARGET_NUMBER="2" -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX="" ..

^ What's in red are the changes. I don't think there's a dev version yet. If you are doing some type of custom configuration in the files, do them after you run git checkout releases.
Awesome, thanks, I'll try that tonight.

One other thing... when rebuilding with the script it appears to have deleted/overwritten the rawtherapee/profiles folder so I have to go find all your pp3s and my lens profiles, etc and copy them over. Is there a way around that?

02-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I guess it all depends on how you build & install it. I have a folder where I download the files & make the build there. I usually empty it all out before making a build. I have another folder that contains my PP3 files. I have one more folder that contains all the files that I have to copy over into the installation like the icons, dll files, lensfun, & junk like that.

I'll usually download the github files into the build folder & once it downloads all the files & it finishes processing them, I'll go to the \rtdata\profiles folder & delete the generic PP3 files in there & paste my own PP3 files in there. Then I go the rtengine folder & modify dcraw.cc, improccoordinator.cc, & simpleprocess.cc with a few settings that I use. Then I start doing the scripts in mysys2 & do the build. Once the build is done, I copy the rest of the dll files & junk that RawTherapee needs to work & paste them into the build folder. This is for the dev version. The release versions require running the git checkout releases first, before modifying anything 'cause it won't let you "checkout" with modified settings, but you can trick it to build after with the modified settings.

Before compiling it, I do cd release & then ./rawtherapee.exe to run it. I'll see if any errors occur & fix them as necessary, which is usually a rarity. Once It's all good, I'll compile it & then I'll install it into its own folder that the installation specifies. Once it's installed & running, I'll uninstall the previous version & sometimes I'll have to manually delete the leftover version folder inside \Program Files\RawTherapee. It'll usually have PP3 files that I've changed since the last installation that wasn't in the uninstall.dat.

And there you have it in a nutshell. I basically always copy my PP3 files into the builds & remove previous versions.
02-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
^ That's quite interesting. I haven't heard anything about that, but it would be quite welcome.

I'm not a developer for RawTherapee, so I really don't know what's in store for the future. I just ride along with the development builds & find new features as they get added.
As you are a power user, you should definitely try to reach out to them. I'm not a RT dev either, but I have contributed to some projects in the past. Having passionate users suggest changes is a big driver, and good feedback.
02-06-2020, 05:55 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^ I guess it all depends on how you build & install it. I have a folder where I download the files & make the build there. I usually empty it all out before making a build. I have another folder that contains my PP3 files. I have one more folder that contains all the files that I have to copy over into the installation like the icons, dll files, lensfun, & junk like that.

I'll usually download the github files into the build folder & once it downloads all the files & it finishes processing them, I'll go to the \rtdata\profiles folder & delete the generic PP3 files in there & paste my own PP3 files in there. Then I go the rtengine folder & modify dcraw.cc, improccoordinator.cc, & simpleprocess.cc with a few settings that I use. Then I start doing the scripts in mysys2 & do the build. Once the build is done, I copy the rest of the dll files & junk that RawTherapee needs to work & paste them into the build folder. This is for the dev version. The release versions require running the git checkout releases first, before modifying anything 'cause it won't let you "checkout" with modified settings, but you can trick it to build after with the modified settings.

Before compiling it, I do cd release & then ./rawtherapee.exe to run it. I'll see if any errors occur & fix them as necessary, which is usually a rarity. Once It's all good, I'll compile it & then I'll install it into its own folder that the installation specifies. Once it's installed & running, I'll uninstall the previous version & sometimes I'll have to manually delete the leftover version folder inside \Program Files\RawTherapee. It'll usually have PP3 files that I've changed since the last installation that wasn't in the uninstall.dat.

And there you have it in a nutshell. I basically always copy my PP3 files into the builds & remove previous versions.
I finally got 5.8 built, it took a fair amount of trial and error and using your help. I couldn't get the automatic script to do it, so I ended up with the manual mode and eventually it took. I haven't had a chance to do anything in 5.8 yet, but probably this weekend.

And I got the folder structure to stay in place with nothing erased - I don't quite know what was going on the other day. So my dynamic profiles are still intact. Although I have some issues with my 55-300PLM. It's not in LensFun so I have to use an Adobe lens profile with it's own dynamic pp3, and if I don't set that up just right it doesn't want to work.

In any case, I'll get there and I'm looking forward to playing with capture sharpening.

02-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As of right now the latest dev version is at 5.8-20 in case anyone wants to compile their own or download the next recent one from the Automated Builds section on GitHub.
02-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As of right now the latest dev version is at 5.8-20 in case anyone wants to compile their own or download the next recent one from the Automated Builds section on GitHub.
I regularly do a test build on Fedora 31, and have just tried to build 5.8-20 but it fails...looks like a code error has crept in, so will probably fail on all systems...unless there is something odd about my system.
I'll notify, but suspect it will have been seen and be fixed pretty soon.

Cheers,
Terry
02-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Regretfully the latest and greatest still doesn't want to run on Mac. I'll have to go and fire up my PC.....
02-08-2020, 03:31 AM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you all know if RT is doing better at highlight recovery? That to me is the biggest negative compared to Lightroom (I'm still running version 6). For some reason Lightroom does a better job of getting highlights back on images where they are almost blown. On RT they tend to just look white and if you push the sliders, you just make the transition between blown and not blown look harsher.
02-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #117

Rondec, by all accounts (and my experience) RawTherapee should be a LOT better at highlight recovery. Make sure to use Color Propagation as the method. And for truly blown highlights (all three channels maxed out) don't expect miracles.
02-08-2020, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Do you all know if RT is doing better at highlight recovery? That to me is the biggest negative compared to Lightroom (I'm still running version 6). For some reason Lightroom does a better job of getting highlights back on images where they are almost blown. On RT they tend to just look white and if you push the sliders, you just make the transition between blown and not blown look harsher.
I've always been pretty happy with the highlight reconstruction, highlight compression, and dynamic range compression aspects of RT. Here's two pictures. One without any of that stuff turned on, the other with it. I don't know if that's a great example, someone else could probably do a better job manipulating the RAW file. But it was one of the first things I found in my archives with obviously blown or close to blown highlights.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
02-08-2020, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #119
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Regretfully the latest and greatest still doesn't want to run on Mac. I'll have to go and fire up my PC.....
There have been a lot of issues with the mac version.

RawTherapee - New 5.8 Windows Installer, macOS Build Ready
^ Supposedly the new version is ready now.

RawTherapee - New 5.8 Windows Installer, macOS Build Ready
^ A thread about the macOS issues. A member by the name of carlos1960 said that the latest version was working perfectly on this mac, but you'd probably have to see is it'll work on your mac.
02-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problems I encountered when trying to build 5.8-20 have now been fixed in the git repo, if anyone's interested.

Cheers,
Terry