Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2020, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #136
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Thanks a lot for the information. I will give RT another shot, especially since I want to try to DSLR scan my negatives and slides. And I find DCU a bit lacking in terms of possibilities regarding shadow/highlight etc tweaking. I just wondered if one could avoid applying extra LCPs in RT but, ok, if I find out how to copy profiles or batch-process, then I am ok.
PDCU5 is very limited as far as what it can do. I mainly use it to extract jpegs out of the RAW files for quick viewing or sharing. It's a matter of selecting all RAW files, right clicking, & Extract jpeg to whatever location you need to extract them to. You can do the same thing with dcraw.c, but that requires commandline entries in Windows Command Prompt.

If you install the PP3 files correctly into the RawTherapee system folders, you can set those PP3 files as different rules with the Dynamic Profile Rules in the Preferences menu. Go to the lower left hand side of RawTherapee, click on the Preferences button, click on the Dynamic Profile Rules tab, & start entering the order of how you want the PP3 files to run.

^ That will give you an idea of what I'm talking about as far as setting rules.

03-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot.

Ok, next question, I seem to remember a function to reduce "dust", ie spots etc from the file. Does this function exist? I cant find it. Maybe I am wrong and used it on Gimp...
03-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ If you're talking about some kind of spot removal, as in dust removal on the sensor, none of the release or dev series have this. I think the newlocallab version might have something like that, but I've never tried it. Basically if there's dust on the sensor, I'll take it out with GIMP, ignore it, or discard the photo completely. I try to keep my sensor clean as much as possible with an air blower or even a very occasional swabbing to remove really stubborn dirt. But yeah. Even then, sometimes dirt comes right back in. Hahahaa!
03-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ If you're talking about some kind of spot removal, as in dust removal on the sensor, none of the release or dev series have this. I think the newlocallab version might have something like that, but I've never tried it. Basically if there's dust on the sensor, I'll take it out with GIMP, ignore it, or discard the photo completely. I try to keep my sensor clean as much as possible with an air blower or even a very occasional swabbing to remove really stubborn dirt. But yeah. Even then, sometimes dirt comes right back in. Hahahaa!
I've been going back recently and finding some of my best pictures over the 8-9 years since I first got a Pentax camera and making backgrounds for my new 4K monitor. At least a few from years ago had sensor dust or spots. I fired up GIMP, which I'm not all that well versed in, and in a couple minutes they were very easily taken care of with the healing/spot tool.

03-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #140
Veteran Member

No, I dont mean sensor dust. I mean the dust which is on a negative when I DSLR-scan it. Of course I have a blower, but this doesnt seem to remove all. If there is not such a function I might confuse it with GIMP, so I would use that afterwards.
03-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gimp would be my tool of choice when several spots and/or difficult areas need to be touched up. Darktable has a module as well, which I use as long as things are easy enough and not too many spots need fixing, so that I can stay in one program.
03-31-2020, 01:40 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,
Since I've installed RT5.8 over 5.7 I can't find the Pixel Shift profiles.
How can I recover them ?

03-31-2020, 07:25 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Did you have a specific set that you created? If not, you can download a new batch from HERE & install them into RawTherapee. It's a matter of picking your color space.
04-02-2020, 12:37 AM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^ Did you have a specific set that you created?
No they was there when I installed RT5.7 (they are located in C:\Program Files\RawTherapy\releases-win64-5.7\profiles).

Perhaps I can copy them from there to RT5.8... Or how can I change the type of Pixel Shift (Low, Medium, High and No Motion) ?
04-02-2020, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #145
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Yes. You can copy them over. They'll work.
04-08-2020, 09:39 AM - 4 Likes   #146
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For the past couple of weeks, I've been doing more slower photography like people sitting around doing things & still life. Manually focusing, manual exposure, manual shutter speed, manual aperture, manual ISO, & stuff. Basically manual everything type shooting. It makes you think about the type of shot you want to get & how to get it. It's quite enjoyable.

I've also been playing with RawTherapee a lot more these past few weeks trying to extract the last bit of color & detail out of every single pixel available! Hahaha! I've gone & revisited the differences between L*a*b & RGB type of noise reduction & the subtle differences between ProPhoto & sRGB color space. In my many experiments with random images that have different colors & subjects, I began to really discover how L*a*b & RGB type of NR affects certain types colors & exposures.

For the lack of a better way of explaining it, think of the L*a*b type of noise reduction working as a 3D type of noise reduction. This seems to really mess around with the reds, oranges, yellows, & other a few other colors. It's almost like it will overlay some additional colors & exposures to create some weird looking images at times, especially if there are some bright or semi-bright scenes involving reds & oranges at higher ISO. The colors & exposure can get even weirder at times when combining this with the ProPhoto color space. However, you do get more colors in the scene overall with the slight penalty of having a bit more color noise in the photos as the ISO climbs.

Then you have the RGB noise reduction that seems to be more 2D like, more "flatter" for a lack of a better term. It controls color noise a lot better, but it comes with the very slight penalty of losing color. This is actually my preferred type noise reduction overall. I use it with the ProPhoto color space for all my K-50 RAW files. Like I have no problem shooting up to ISO 12800 on my K-50 & still get a good image out of it. I prefer to not go past ISO 3200, but there are times when I need to go higher to get the shot, but I don't really worry about it. The RGB type of noise reduction with the ProPhoto color space also seems to work pretty good on the K-5 & every camera that was released after that.

What's funny is that the RAW files from my old 10MP Sony a200 work better when using RGB noise reduction & sRGB color space. The colors & exposure get really out of control at times if I use the ProPhoto color space. Like it wants to add colors that are not there at all. My guess is that the Pentax K10D will probably behave similarly, since it uses the same 10MP Sony sensor.

So yeah. In a few days from now I'll be uploading a new set of PP3 files & a new Windows 64bit build using the RGB noise reduction & ProPhoto color space setup. For those that still want to use the L*a*b noise reduction, the PP3 file will be available for that. Same with the sRGB color space. You can set up your Dynamic Profile Rules to first use the typical PP3 for each ISO & then set the L*a*b noise reduction PP3 and/or sRGB color space PP3 after that.

Hopefully everyone is well & takes precautions with the COVID-19. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks or possibly months. Take care!
04-08-2020, 11:48 PM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^ Yes. You can copy them over. They'll work.
I know now what was the problem.
The profiles directory is now in user's local directory (C:\Users\[name]\AppDir\Local\RawTherapy\Profiles) and not in program files...
But the installation program installs them still in program files...
04-13-2020, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #148
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files. There have been a few changes to the naming of the PP3 files in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder, so if you had some Dynamic Profile Rules set up, you might have to fix a few of them. There are a few minor tweaks to the noise reduction.

The biggest change for now is using RGB noise reduction & ProPhoto color space. If you want to keep on using L*a*b NR & sRGB color space, the PP3 files are in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder. You can set a Dynamic Profile Rules for them or you can witch them manually.

I removed all PP3 files that had wavelet settings. That section has been revamped a bit in the most recent DEV version of RawTherapee. The wavelet settings that I had don't really work with it. I'll be playing around with that section for a while before introducing a new batch of PP3 files for it.

So yeah. You can download a new Windows 64bit build from my Google Drive if you just want to install & use it. For the rest of you, the PP3 files have been attached below. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 05-12-2020 at 09:06 AM.
04-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #149
Veteran Member

UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files. There have been a few changes to the naming of the PP3 files in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder, so if you had some Dynamic Profile Rules set up, you might have to fix a few of them. There are a few minor tweaks to the noise reduction.

The biggest change for now is using RGB noise reduction & ProPhoto color space. If you want to keep on using L*a*b NR & sRGB color space, the PP3 files are in the TSM - PP3 Optional folder. You can set a Dynamic Profile Rules for them or you can witch them manually.

I removed all PP3 files that had wavelet settings. That section has been revamped a bit in the most recent DEV version of RawTherapee. The wavelet settings that I had don't really work with it. I'll be playing around with that section for a while before introducing a new batch of PP3 files for it.

So yeah. You can download a new Windows 64bit build from my Google Drive if you just want to install & use it. For the rest of you, the PP3 files have been attached below. Have fun!
Thanks for that, but in the meantime my Mac has had yet another software upgrade and I now have a couple of "?" on my task bar. This means I will need to have a dig around and confirm what doesn't work anymore....
04-14-2020, 07:59 AM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UPDATE!

So what happens if you're not running the dev version, just 5.8?