Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 09:28 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ I have some examples on my Google Drive that will show you what I mean. There are 3 photos in that zip file.
  1. Photo 1 is the out of camera (OOC) jpeg with the D-range settings on. The camera automatically adjusted the exposure, brightness, & contrast in the jpeg.
  2. Photo 2 is how RawTherapee, DxO, or other similar RAW converters will convert a RAW file that has the D-range settings on. Since they can't read the D-range setting information, the photo is usually ends up darker than the OOC jpeg.
  3. Photo 3 is RawTherapee's attempt at matching the OOC's jpeg tone curve by using the auto-match tone curve. This results in a jpeg that looks closer to the OOC jpeg.
Most of the time, RawTherapee's auto-match tone curve will produce images that look very similar to the OOC jpegs in regards to exposure, contrast, & brightness, but there will be times where the auto-match tone curve will be 100% completely off & the image looks way off, compared to the OOC jpeg. That's where you have to manually play with the exposure, lightness, & contrast in RawTherapee, which in turn makes it very time consuming when you have many different RAW files that have completely different exposures. Imagine having to fix hundreds of photos manually. I don't want to waste time doing that.

That should give you an idea of what I mean about the D-range settings. The D-range settings don't affect the RAW file, but often times, what you get from a RAW converter that doesn't know how to read the D-range settings or can't auto-match tone curve like RawTherapee will end up giving you an image that is much darker or sometimes much brighter than what you get from the OOC jpeg. Another thing is that after you take a picture & chimp, the D-range jpeg will look nice with the proper exposure on your LCD screen, but then it looks way off in your RAW converter. If you turn off the D-range settings, then what you see on your LCD screen will be about the same thing you see in your RAW converter. Less hassles overall & this also forces you to expose shots properly from the get go.
Interesting. I need to play around with D-range settings and darktable (yes, i prefer DT).
But with version DT3.0 and above, the auto-adjusted images are all with less saturation. Even with 'Pentax-like' curve.
I will see if my D-range setting in camera makes any difference.

12-16-2020, 02:31 PM - 3 Likes   #197

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I usually have to enter the 819200 value manually in the dynamicprofile.cfg file located in the hidden AppData folder using Notepad++ or something similar. If not, RawTherapee seems to have a forced GUI coding limit of 512000.
I fixed this today.
12-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
No change after a complete removal/reinstall. I'll try inquiring in the Mint & RT forums, then give a go with your suggestions. Meanwhile, digiKam has a very capable RAW editor I'm using for now. Thanks!
Just to follow up on this - thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I re-installed RT on a fresh Mint 20 Mate install with the same results. (I did not try the Flatpak version). However, now it *will* load and display my *ist D .pef files....about once every ten attempts! So for now, I'm sticking with digiKam for my old 6 mp files, and RT for everything else. I may give Darktable another try, but I couldn't quite get on with it the first time.
12-18-2020, 01:59 AM   #199
Veteran Member

That's strange re: old *ist D PEFs. I've been processing some of my PEFs from my *ist DL (yes, not the D) but shouldn't be enough of a difference around that time to make it not work.

And thanks for the continued work on this, anything to make post processing a bit easier to my eyes with crappy colour vision (or so my wife says!)

12-18-2020, 02:47 AM   #200
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
..about once every ten attempts!
Do you have any example PEFs that fail?
I can try them on my RT installation, and if they fail see if there's any means to debug it
12-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pkboy Quote
That's strange re: old *ist D PEFs. I've been processing some of my PEFs from my *ist DL (yes, not the D) but shouldn't be enough of a difference around that time to make it not work.
QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
Do you have any example PEFs that fail?
I've been using RT for years without issue. It was only after updating the o/s (Mint 20) that I started having problems. RT still works perfectly on my laptop running Mint 19, and as mentioned, it works, but only occasionally on my desktop.

If I get the chance, I'll post up an example .pef. Thank you both.
12-18-2020, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #202
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Have you tried using a recent dev .AppImage build?

Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

^ Try it out. Once you download it, you just need to right click & give it permission to run as an executable. Then you just install it.

12-19-2020, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #203
Pentaxian

Interesting ...

I downloaded example PEF files from RAWSAMPLES.CH - Pentax for the *ist D, DS, DL and DL2 and opened each with both the latest stable 5.8 from opensuse and an AppImage dev build from Mid November. All work apart from the *istD PEFs which open as a black image in both the stable and dev versions. I tried the same file with darktable which has no problems.

I've not seen any obvious error output from RT, but I guess this at least confirms paulh 's observations
12-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
I've not seen any obvious error output from RT, but I guess this at least confirms paulh 's observations
Thanks for doing this, Damian. Weird how it does work occasionally. I'll go ahead and file a bug report with RT, and hopefully v5.9 won't have this little glitch. I imagine the *ist D userbase is only a minor sub/sub/subset of RT users! Anyway, I appreciate everyone's suggestions.
12-24-2020, 01:52 AM   #205

any idea of M1 native builds will become part of the project?
12-28-2020, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #206
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded some new PP3 files for both Windows & now Linux.

Doing PP3 files for Linux is tricky due to permissions, file locations, & so forth & so on. The ones that I have uploaded for Linux work perfectly fine on my Fedora 33 distro the way I installed them into the /usr/share/rawtherapee/profiles folder, the Pentax DCP folder in to the /usr/share/ folder, & the dynamicprofile.cfg into the /.config/rawtherapee folder. Your results may vary. Keep in mind that you kind of have to know what you're doing or else you could screw up your RawThrerapee installation & even your Linux installation if you're not careful. With that said, hopefully they help a few Linux users out there.

There are a few changes mainly to the color PP3 files & a new, but still experimental, TSM Natural PP3 file that takes the Natural.dcp file with a few exposure tweaks that ends up giving you an image that has similar contrast & brightness when using the Bright.dcp file, but without the color over saturation. You'll have to try it out to see if you like it.

There's a Windows 64bit build on my Google Drive as well. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 01-18-2021 at 11:40 AM.
01-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #207
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files. I just realized that the Linux PP3 files were not included in the previous upload. I'm losing my mind. Hahahaha! I changed some Unsharp Mask settings, green equilibration settings, & a few color settings.

I have one experimental PP3 file called TSM - High ISO NR in the TSM - PP3 Optional - Noise Reduction folder. What does it do?

Turns on Unsharp Mask
Turns off Impulse Noise Reduction
Sets Luminance control to Slider, Luminance to 50, Detail recovery to 100
Turns on Median Filter
Sets Green equilibration to 0

It basically tries to keep the most amount of detail possible while kind of smoothing out the higher ISO grain. You'll need to use one of the ISO PP3 files before using this one. I typically use the ISO PP3 file, Sharpening - Unsharp Mask, & TSM Natural PP3 files for the ISO 0 to 1600 range, but use the TSM - High ISO NR PP3 file for ISO 1601 & above. It's all on your personal preferences.

OK! Have fun!

Forgot to include my Google Drive link for those that want to download a Windows 64bit build.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 03-04-2021 at 11:21 AM.
01-22-2021, 06:51 AM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
The highlight D-range setting actually does. Under the hood the camera 'underexposes' by using a one stop lower ISO than nominal (=displayed/set on the camera) and the boosts exposure in the JPEG development process, with some tome mapping or 'soft' highlight curve to retain more highlights. It's the reason that it is only available from ISO200 (or 160 on the K-5) on.
Interesting. What is the name of this function in camera menu. I use K500 and I don't find such a setting. There is "highlight correction" is it the same setting?
01-22-2021, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #209
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have never used a K500, but this could be it. In KP and K-1, there is a 'D-Range' ('Dynamikbereichseinstellung' in German) menu item, with 'Highlight Correction' and 'Shadow Correction' options.
01-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I have never used a K500, but this could be it. In KP and K-1, there is a 'D-Range' ('Dynamikbereichseinstellung' in German) menu item, with 'Highlight Correction' and 'Shadow Correction' options.
Рrobably this is the case. I have separate function for Shadow Correction too.