Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 192 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 11:27 AM - 4 Likes   #211
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've attached a new set of PP3 files.

There have been a few revisions to the standard ISO PP3 files. There have been changes to the luminance settings & the chrominance noise reduction has received a curve setting for all 4 sets of RGB & LAB settings. The Green equilibration setting in the RAW tab is no longer being used. There were times where it would cause some funky issues to the processed image. To compensate for that, the Median Filter Weighted L* (little) + a*b* (normal) in the Detail tab has been turned on from ISO 800 going forward & the Impulse Noise Reduction (INR) has been turned off from ISO 800 going forward. The INR is on from ISO 100 to 400. There is an optional INR PP3 file if you want to use it as a Dynamic Profile Rule for whatever higher ISOs that you want to use it on. That or you can turn it on manually. There have been a few other minor revisions.

The Optional PP3 files have received some minor tweaks & there some new Optional PP3 files. You'll have to go into the Optional PP3 files folders see them.

The Pentax color PP3 files have recieved a few tweaks. The standard Pentax color PP3 files are using the ProPhoto color space & the Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 files are using the sRGB color space to avoid a color shift. There are a couple of Pentax Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 files that are tagged with ProPhoto or sRGB at the end. They have some optional settings turned on. These could give you some nice results or some very funky results. Use at your own discretion.

Which Pentax color PP3 file do I use for my RAW files? Simple. It all depends on if you have the D-range settings (i.e.: shadow recovery, highlight recovery, etc.) on or off.

If the D-range settings in your camera are turned on, use the Pentax Color Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 file. RawTherapee will attempt to match the tone curve of the jpeg that's embedded into the RAW file. Most of the time, RawTherapee will give you images that have very similar in contrast & brightness to the OOC jpegs. However, there will be times where the tone curve will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off & you'll get some very washed out looking images that lack contrast & brightness. You'll have to manually tweak the exposure or try using the regular Pentax Color PP3 files to see if you get something closer to what the camera got. If the D-range setting kicked in & you use a regular Pentax color PP3 file, there will be times that the image is much darker than the OOC jpeg. The other catch is that the Pentax Color Auto-Matched Tone Curve files rely on the Standard tone curve, not the Film-like tone curve that's on by default if you use a downloaded RawTherapee from the site or compile one yourself without changing FILMLIKE to STD in the improccoordinator.cc & simpleprocess.cc files. I have a Windows 64bit build in my Google Drive that's set to Standard by default.

If the D-range settings in your camera are turned off, use the regular Pentax Color PP3 file. This is how I have my K-50 bodies set up & I never get any funky exposure issues. I even have the Active D-Lighting turned off in the Nikon D7200 & D5200 that I use at times to avoid the funky Auto-Matched Tone Curve issues as well. The RawTherapee images will match or exceed the OOC's brightness, contrast, & color. Natural, Bright & Vibrant are pretty much dead on. Landscape & Portrait are a little off. It could be an Adobe .dcp file color contrast, & brightness thing. The images will pretty much look identical to what you'd get out of the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5.

Keep in mind that all the Pentax Color PP3 files rely on the included Adobe .dcp files. You need to install those files to the correct folders for those PP3 files to work.

I have no idea when version 5.9 will be out, but I figure that it's coming along soon. Once again, for those that just want to install & use, there's a Windows 64bit build on my Google Drive. OK! That's was a lot! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 04-28-2021 at 03:17 PM.
03-10-2021, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm looking forward to the day in the near future where I can use your ISO3200 pp3 files on my K-3 Mark III ISO 102,400 images.
03-10-2021, 07:50 AM   #213
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Hahaha! Yeap! It'll be crazy if it's actually usable to ISO 102400.

I'll probably have the auto ISO set to from 100 to 51200 when I'm lazy. The KP is usable to ISO 25600, so I figure that the K-3III should be useable to ISO 51200 for me. Hopefully we can find out by the end of the year.
03-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Hahaha! Yeap! It'll be crazy if it's actually usable to ISO 102400.

I'll probably have the auto ISO set to from 100 to 51200 when I'm lazy. The KP is usable to ISO 25600, so I figure that the K-3III should be useable to ISO 51200 for me. Hopefully we can find out by the end of the year.
Hopefully. I use 12800 sometimes with the K-3ii, and that varies from not bad to barely usable. If I can get 1600 or 3200 quality out of 12800 and barely usable out of 51200 or 102400 I'll be really happy.

03-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #215
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Yes. I can get quite usable ISO 12800 images from my K-50, not that I want to shoot it that high all the time. Heck. Even ISO 25600 on my K-50 can yield some semi-usable results, depending on the lighting & subject matter. But yeah. It all depends on one's tolerance for high ISO noise. If one starts pixel peeping, then yeah, one could say that they're kind of noisy. However, if they're seen at regular viewing size on a screen, they look quite passable. There have been many times that the higher ISO RawTherapee pics from my K-50 look a lot better than similar lower ISO smartphone pictures.

I'll tell you this much, most non-photographers don't even know about high ISO grain & color noise. The high ISO pictures that I get out of RawTherapee usually get compliments about how colorful they are & how much detail they see in them. It's only after explaining about high ISO noise issues to them do they finally notice, but they're like, "Well, it still looks good to me."
03-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^ Yes. I can get quite usable ISO 12800 images from my K-50, not that I want to shoot it that high all the time. Heck. Even ISO 25600 on my K-50 can yield some semi-usable results, depending on the lighting & subject matter. But yeah. It all depends on one's tolerance for high ISO noise. If one starts pixel peeping, then yeah, one could say that they're kind of noisy. However, if they're seen at regular viewing size on a screen, they look quite passable. There have been many times that the higher ISO RawTherapee pics from my K-50 look a lot better than similar lower ISO smartphone pictures.

I'll tell you this much, most non-photographers don't even know about high ISO grain & color noise. The high ISO pictures that I get out of RawTherapee usually get compliments about how colorful they are & how much detail they see in them. It's only after explaining about high ISO noise issues to them do they finally notice, but they're like, "Well, it still looks good to me."
Yes, nobody has ever said anything about a high ISO photo. I think they're just happy that I can get pictures of things that their phone wouldn't stand a chance at doing because of lack of zoom and the necessity of multi-shots for night sight.

I've attached a couple of examples, not for their photographic awesomeness, as they're pretty mundane. But to show some of the technical challenges - this is with a K-3ii and a 55-300PLM. Night game, rather poor lighting. As wide open as that lens will go, and slowing the shutter speed well below where I'd like, and I still end up at ISO 12800. Using your aggressive pp3 files I get reasonable results if you don't pixel peep too much, or display on a phone. But the one picture clearly shows some motion blur, both have a fair amount of noise, although the pp3s wipe out almost all of the color noise (thank you!).

With a K-3 Mark III I'm hopeful that in those kind of conditions I'll be able to keep shutter faster than 1/800th, or 1/1000th, let ISO float to 25,600 or a bit higher and get better results.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-10-2021, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #217
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Those look pretty good to me. Quite usable images.

You can always add more color noise reduction if you need to. The only downside to that is that it starts to fade out color and/or bleed colors into other colors. It's just a matter of how much color you're willing to give up to obliterate color noise. The best one for high ISO color noise is the RGB Aggressive. L*a*b* can only do so much at high ISO.

03-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the build, steps, and specially the suggestion about turning off D-range related settings. The last one really helps with colors, contrast and brightness in every raw processor I have (ACR6, DXO Lab 4 and RawTherapee). Before that I always struggled to get better than sooc jpegs with Pentax.

UPDATE!

I've attached a new set of PP3 files.

There have been a few revisions to the standard ISO PP3 files. There have been changes to the luminance settings & the chrominance noise reduction has received a curve setting for all 4 sets of RGB & LAB settings. The Green equilibration setting in the RAW tab is no longer being used. There were times where it would cause some funky issues to the processed image. To compensate for that, the Median Filter Weighted L* (little) + a*b* (normal) in the Detail tab has been turned on from ISO 800 going forward & the Impulse Noise Reduction (INR) has been turned off from ISO 800 going forward. The INR is on from ISO 100 to 400. There is an optional INR PP3 file if you want to use it as a Dynamic Profile Rule for whatever higher ISOs that you want to use it on. That or you can turn it on manually. There have been a few other minor revisions.

The Optional PP3 files have received some minor tweaks & there some new Optional PP3 files. You'll have to go into the Optional PP3 files folders see them.

The Pentax color PP3 files have recieved a few tweaks. The standard Pentax color PP3 files are using the ProPhoto color space & the Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 files are using the sRGB color space to avoid a color shift. There are a couple of Pentax Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 files that are tagged with ProPhoto or sRGB at the end. They have some optional settings turned on. These could give you some nice results or some very funky results. Use at your own discretion.

Which Pentax color PP3 file do I use for my RAW files? Simple. It all depends on if you have the D-range settings (i.e.: shadow recovery, highlight recovery, etc.) on or off.

If the D-range settings in your camera are turned on, use the Pentax Color Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 file. RawTherapee will attempt to match the tone curve of the jpeg that's embedded into the RAW file. Most of the time, RawTherapee will give you images that have very similar in contrast & brightness to the OOC jpegs. However, there will be times where the tone curve will be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off & you'll get some very washed out looking images that lack contrast & brightness. You'll have to manually tweak the exposure or try using the regular Pentax Color PP3 files to see if you get something closer to what the camera got. If the D-range setting kicked in & you use a regular Pentax color PP3 file, there will be times that the image is much darker than the OOC jpeg. The other catch is that the Pentax Color Auto-Matched Tone Curve files rely on the Standard tone curve, not the Film-like tone curve that's on by default if you use a downloaded RawTherapee from the site or compile one yourself without changing FILMLIKE to STD in the improccoordinator.cc & simpleprocess.cc files. I have a Windows 64bit build in my Google Drive that's set to Standard by default.

If the D-range settings in your camera are turned off, use the regular Pentax Color PP3 file. This is how I have my K-50 bodies set up & I never get any funky exposure issues. I even have the Active D-Lighting turned off in the Nikon D7200 & D5200 that I use at times to avoid the funky Auto-Matched Tone Curve issues as well. The RawTherapee images will match or exceed the OOC's brightness, contrast, & color. Natural, Bright & Vibrant are pretty much dead on. Landscape & Portrait are a little off. It could be an Adobe .dcp file color contrast, & brightness thing. The images will pretty much look identical to what you'd get out of the Pentax Digital Camera Utility 5.

Keep in mind that all the Pentax Color PP3 files rely on the included Adobe .dcp files. You need to install those files to the correct folders for those PP3 files to work.

I have no idea when version 5.9 will be out, but I figure that it's coming along soon. Once again, for those that just want to install & use, there's a Windows 64bit build on my Google Drive. OK! That's was a lot! Have fun!
03-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^ Those look pretty good to me. Quite usable images.

You can always add more color noise reduction if you need to. The only downside to that is that it starts to fade out color and/or bleed colors into other colors. It's just a matter of how much color you're willing to give up to obliterate color noise. The best one for high ISO color noise is the RGB Aggressive. L*a*b* can only do so much at high ISO.
So I did just that, using the RGB aggressive. This is a little tighter crop, but I'll have to compare results.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #220
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Yes. It's just a matter of comparing them to see what they do & which one you'll end up prefering. My Dynamic Profile Rules are L*a*b* conservative for ISO 1 to 3200 & RGB aggressive for ISO 3201 to 819200.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Thanks for the build, steps, and specially the suggestion about turning off D-range related settings. The last one really helps with colors, contrast and brightness in every raw processor I have (ACR6, DXO Lab 4 and RawTherapee). Before that I always struggled to get better than sooc jpegs with Pentax.
Yes. The D-range settings are meant for those that only shoot jpegs. They don't kick in all the time, but when you shoot a low light high contrast scene, like at a bowling alley, the D-range settings will give you a jpegs that seem to look great on the camera's LCD when "chimping", but then they come out pretty dark when developing them in a RAW converter. Same with sunny days where the jpeg looks awesome & you're scratching your head as to why you can't get a jpeg with similar brightness & contrast from a RAW converter. It's quite annoying. This is why I leave the D-range settings off. What you see on the LCD screen is what you'll pretty much see in the RAW converter.

The only RAW converter that can just about much match every single setting in the camera is PDCU5. Nothing else comes close to it, camera settings wise, but PDCU5 leaves a lot to be desired for just about everything else.
03-10-2021, 02:42 PM   #221
Veteran Member

The only RAW converter that can just about much match every single setting in the camera is PDCU5. Nothing else comes close to it, camera settings wise, but PDCU5 leaves a lot to be desired for just about everything else.
Hi The Squirrel Mafia,
thank you for your help about RawTherapee. Very useful.
PDCU5 is unbearable and unstable! What about SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro 10? Doesn't it use the same "derawtizer" processing?
Best regards.
03-10-2021, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #222
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Yeah. I'm not a big PDCU5 fan myself. PDCU5 does this funny thing at times where it ends up smoothing everything out, almost to the point of it obliterating all fine detail. Mind you that it's already doing that without me turning on the Random Noise Reduction & Multi-level Noise Reduction. It gets even worse if I turn those on. The image basically looks like a blurry mess. I don't know if it's a demosaicing thing or what. The same RAW file in RawTherapee has no issues, though. I mainly use PDCU5 for is for the extraction of the embedded jpeg in the RAW file for reference use at times. That's pretty much it. I could do the same thing with dcraw.c, but then I get too lazy to type in the path(s). Hahaha!

As far as SILKYPIX 10, I'm guessing that it's going to be similar to what PDCU5 does, but I'm not sure if it has all the Pentax image tone settings (Bright, Vibrant, Landscape, etc.) & things like that.
04-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #223
Pentaxian

So after using Darktable again on a few dozen images, I tried to make a comparison... using AMaZE demosaic in both, with the default values for sharpening and defringing, and then doing basic level adjustments to get the images in a similar ballpark, should give me a similar amount of detail, right?
After exporting both at JPEG 100% and SRGB color space, I can still get a bit more detail out of RawTherapee despite being able to use more contrast.
Darktable is pretty close, but I think I might still stick mainly with RawTherapee for now...

Image (RawTherapee edit):

Darktable edit left upper corner crop:

Rawthreapee edit left upper corner crop:

Clicking on the link gets to expand it to 100% - it's visible in the trash bag, for example, that the RawTherapee picture has better fine detail.
04-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can confirm that Silkypix 10 does not have any of the Pentax image styles. It gives you different colors.
As far as SILKYPIX 10, I'm guessing that it's going to be similar to what PDCU5 does, but I'm not sure if it has all the Pentax image tone settings (Bright, Vibrant, Landscape, etc.) & things like that.
04-01-2021, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #225
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So after using Darktable again on a few dozen images, I tried to make a comparison... using AMaZE demosaic in both, with the default values for sharpening and defringing, and then doing basic level adjustments to get the images in a similar ballpark, should give me a similar amount of detail, right?
After exporting both at JPEG 100% and SRGB color space, I can still get a bit more detail out of RawTherapee despite being able to use more contrast.
Darktable is pretty close, but I think I might still stick mainly with RawTherapee for now...
So I'm not going nuts with darktable. Hahaha! Yeah. The RawTherapee jpegs do look better overall. I think I'll pretty much only concentrate on RawThreapee for now. I'm so used to it & it just seems easier for the most part. I've already put in about 7 years of use as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
I can confirm that Silkypix 10 does not have any of the Pentax image styles. It gives you different colors.
Good to know. So PDCU5 is basically the only software on the planet that can match Pentax colors 100% dead on.

I can get fairly close with RawTherapee & Adobe .dcp files, but it's not 100% exact. I'd say it's more like more like 80% to 90% close. I think it's an Adobe .dcp color thing or a combined RawTherapee & Adobe .dcp color thing.