Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #256

hi Pentax Bright - Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 file and im happy with the results a tiny bit over saturated but i love the way the colours look the greens really pop

im starting to really apprciate raw therapee and thanks so much for all your work its fabulous

06-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #257
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Try using the regular one before trying to use the Auto-Matched Tone Curve one. If the D-range settings are off in the camera, the regular one works much better than the Auto-Matched.
06-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #258

thanks i will try that
07-23-2021, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #259
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files. They have a lot of revisions, so here's a quick list of what's new and/or changed.

The ISO PP3 files have been reduced to Conservative & Aggressive. L*a*b* type is used for Conservative & RGB is used for Aggressive. Noise reduction has been set to the basic minimum for all ISO PP3 files. Each ISO PP3 file has its own sharpening settings for Unsharp Mask, RL Deconvolution, & Capture Sharpening, but all of those settings have been turned off. You will get files with the most amount of fine detail preserved without sharpening artifacts. Higher ISO images will have a very fine grain.

If you think there's too much grain, you can add additional noise reduction by using one of the optional PP3 files inside the TSM - PP3 Optional - Noise Reduction folder. This is completely optional. You determine how much noise reduction you want.

If you think the image needs more sharpening, use the PP3 files from the TSM - PP3 Optional - Sharpening folder to turn on sharpening or you can manually turn them on as well. This is completely optional & it's up to you to determine what type & how much sharpening you want. Keep in mind that even though each ISO has it's own sharpening settings, sharpening will increase noise a bit.

In the TSM - PP3 Optional - Color folder, I took out all the Pentax Auto-Matched Tone Curve files. You basically start off by using one of the Pentax Color PP3 files. If the image still looks too dark or too bright after using a Pentax Color PP3 file, then apply the TSM Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 file after. Keep in mind that if you have the D-range settings turned on in your camera, you will probably experience exposure issues on occasion. I strongly suggest that you turn off the D-range settings in the camera to avoid exposure issues in RawTherapee.

That's about it. You can also download a Windows 64bit build from my Google Drive. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 09-20-2021 at 10:23 AM.
07-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
You can also download a Windows 64bit build
Are the 2021-07-23 PP3 & DCP files the same as those included in the 7/21 build on your google drive?
07-23-2021, 10:14 PM   #261
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Ah! It has the same PP3 files. I just renamed it. Thanks for pointing that out.
09-20-2021, 10:23 AM - 3 Likes   #262
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files. There are changes to the noise reduction in the standard ISO PP3 files. You'll have to see how they work on your own.

There are 3 types of ISO pp3 files.
  1. Use the PP3 files in the TSM - Noise Reduction Lab Conservative folder first.
  2. If your higher ISO RAW files need a bit more noise reduction, try using the TSM - Noise Reduction Lab Aggressive ones.
  3. If you think you still need more noise reduction, try using the PP3 files in the TSM - Noise Reduction RGB Aggressive folder. That's the most aggressive noise reduction available. Keep in mind that it will take some color out of the image.
There are other optional noise reduction PP3 files for you to try as well.

I have also complied a new Windows 64bit build for those that just want to install & play. It's set to use dynamic profiles, so the only additional thing that you'll need to do is install the dynamicprofile.cfg that's in the zip file. The instructions are in there. The .dcp files in the installation are the Pentax Natural ones. It seems like more people prefer Pentax Natural over Pentax Bright. I have included the Bright .dcp files that are available from Adobe in case you want to use those instead. You'll have to dump them into RawTherapee's dcpprofiles folder installation folder or manually attach them into RawTherapee.

OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 12-14-2021 at 01:06 PM.
09-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #263
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a question, not sure if anyone would know the answer...

I know RawTherapee has had Local Adjustments and Heal/Retouch modules under testing builds for a while now. Any idea when this is coming to an official release? This will make a HUGE difference I think.

I have Corel Aftershot Pro which can do those things so easily, but its proprietary RAW conversion is so horrid that it's unusable. And the idea is to do the local adjustments in the RAW converter to make use of the sensor's dynamic range.
09-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #264
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I'm thinking that they'll appear in 5.9 stable, but I'm not sure.

v5.9 Milestone · GitHub

^ Here's a milestone page of what's going on for the upcoming 5.9 release.

RawTherapee - discuss.pixls.us

^ Here's the RawTherapee forum page too.
09-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #265
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ I'm thinking that they'll appear in 5.9 stable, but I'm not sure.

v5.9 Milestone · GitHub

^ Here's a milestone page of what's going on for the upcoming 5.9 release.

RawTherapee - discuss.pixls.us

^ Here's the RawTherapee forum page too.
It only took me a few minutes to find what (I think) I wanted to see. This is all geared towards the developers so most people won't be able to find their way around that easily, I think.

So the spot removal tool should be in 5.9.

In one of the comments in that milestone page I see heckflosse asking #5903 (which seems to be where the local adjustments are being worked on) to be moved to 6.0 for performance reasons. But that was exactly one year ago. So I don't know where that stands now, though some comments below state that it could come out in the 5.9 beta releases.

I have to say though, that I am REALLY excited about having those available in RawTherapee and I think I won't really have a reason to use anything else! Might as well delete all other programs from my computer (DCU, DarkTable, Corel Aftershot Pro 3).
09-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #266
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Hahaha! Yeap. The only other thing I have installed is PDCU5 & it's mainly used for the extraction of the embedded jpegs. I also use it for older RAW images that were shot with the D-range settings on, since RawTherapee can't seem to auto-match the tone curve with some of them.
09-23-2021, 05:40 AM   #267
Veteran Member

Hello everybody,
PDCU5 is the worst software I ever used. Besides, it is unstable on MacOS...
Nevertheless, RawTherapee is wonderful especially for my Pentax K-1 (II) when Pixel Shift is useful. I bought a Panasonic DC-S1 in August 2021 to use my Leica-R lenses not Leitaxed (but also Pentax Leitaxed ones). I can use both cameras in different ways but with the same pleasure: shooting. Even if I prefer the catch in hand of the Pentax camera and the OVF...
Many thanks for RawTherapee developers and The Squirrel Mafia!
09-23-2021, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #268
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ You're welcome & I'm glad RawTherapee is working out for you.
12-09-2021, 12:08 PM   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh that’s definitely a good thread to look for some stuff. Thanks.
12-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #270
dlhawes

Got a file from the Library of Virginia, taken with a Hasselblad 100Mpx camera that does pixel shifting - effectively 400Mpx. Huge file. Raw. I'd been using Affinity Photo for most of my image processing, but it doesn't appear to do pixel-shifting. And, of course, the Canon and Pentax software won't work on Hasselblad. So I looked around, and I saw this brand new piece from DxO, that does nothing but develop raw files. It does pixel shifting, but its big new features include a magical noise reduction thing that works amazingly well, according to a youtuber, and support for gazillions of camera and lens combinations, so it can compensate for distortion and such. "On sale" until the end of December for about ninety bucks (I have no idea whether they've ever sold any at the "regular price"). So I tried the free sample, which said it had been installed correctly but trying to use it was a no-go - it says it's missing a dynamic link library - so it lied about having been set up correctly on my Win 7 machine. Turns out they don't support "deprecated" operating systems, and the minimum requirement is Win 10. Here's the point: if their installer can't tell what operating system it's running under and just stop if it's not one that is supported, that, it seems to me, is a clear indication of their ability to write code. Not only that, there's no "uninstall" routine, had to use Windows "programs and features" from the control panel to ditch it, followed by exhaustive examination of the registry to eliminate "droppings".

Well, the last time I tried RawTherapee, a long time ago admittedly, I thought it was a joke. But, you know, any port in a storm, I downloaded the official 64b version, it was installed seamlessly and quickly, and I used it to to the pixel shift on the .7Gb Hasselblad "FFF" file using 64 bit tiff and adobe-98 color space. Translated that to a 32 bit uncompressed tiff, which I then tweaked a bit in Affinity Photo. Printed at 1200 dpi on A2 paper.
Fantastic!
(The original is an 1833 surveyors map of part of W.Virginia, measuring about 4'x3'. The only way to copy it was to pay them to take a picture of it. My resulting and extremely high-resolution copy is so precise and sharp, I think I cut my finger on it.)