Enabled=true
Method=Blend
Hlbl=0

It's almost near the top.

06-30-2022, 10:38 AM   #287
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new batch of updated PP3 files for Linux & Windows.

There is also a Windows 64 bit build in my Google Drive.

There are some minor tweaks with the noise reduction. The noise reduction color space is set to RGB Conservative. This is typically used in most cameras & RAW converters. You can change it to L*a*b*, but there will be some compromises with certain colors at times.

The Chrominance noise reduction is set to Automatic global & RawTherapee will calculate on its own how much color noise to remove. You can use the Median Filter in the TSM - PP3 Optional - Noise Reduction folder to help RawTherapee calculate the color noise a bit more.

Each ISO PP3 file has its own Luminance noise reduction settings as well. Those settings remove some of the grain, but they will also remove some of the fine detail ever so slightly. I have tried my best to find a balance between removing some of the grain & keeping most of the fine detail, but if you want all the grain intact with all the fine detail, there is a PP3 file in the TSM - PP3 Optional - Noise Reduction folder called Luminance Noise Reduction - None. That will turn off all Luminance noise reduction. There is another PP3 file called ALL NOISE REDUCTION OFF that will turn off every single noise reduction option if you want to see what the image looks like without any noise reduction at all. There are other noise reduction settings like Impulse Noise Reduction & other settings in the RAW tab that change with each ISO PP3 file.

That's basically the bulk of it. There are more optional PP3 files in the other folders that could probably help or ruin your images a bit more. You'll have to play with them to see if they'll work on your images. OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 09-08-2022 at 11:46 AM.
06-30-2022, 11:23 AM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new batch of updated PP3 files for Linux & Windows.

There is also a Windows 64 bit build in my Google Drive.

There are some minor tweaks with the noise reduction. The noise reduction color space is set to RGB Conservative. This is typically used in most cameras & RAW converters. You can change it to L*a*b*, but there will be some compromises with certain colors at times.

The Chrominance noise reduction is set to Automatic global & RawTherapee will calculate on its own how much color noise to remove. You can use the Median Filter in the TSM - PP3 Optional - Noise Reduction folder to help RawTherapee calculate the color noise a bit more.

Each ISO PP3 file has its own Luminance noise reduction settings as well. Those settings remove some of the grain, but they will also remove some of the fine detail ever so slightly. I have tried my best to find a balance between removing some of the grain & keeping most of the fine detail, but if you want all the grain intact with all the fine detail, there is a PP3 file in the TSM - PP3 Optional - Noise Reduction folder called Luminance Noise Reduction - None. That will turn off all Luminance noise reduction. There is another PP3 file called ALL NOISE REDUCTION OFF that will turn off every single noise reduction option if you want to see what the image looks like without any noise reduction at all. There are other noise reduction settings like Impulse Noise Reduction & other settings in the RAW tab that change with each ISO PP3 file.

That's basically the bulk of it. There are more optional PP3 files in the other folders that could probably help or ruin your images a bit more. You'll have to play with them to see if they'll work on your images. OK! Have fun!
Is there a simple idiots guide on how to use Raw Therapee with these files? It is probably second nature to experienced users but is quite overwhelming to a beginner . If I set it to automatically choose the correct pp3 file based on ISO setting how do I tell if the right one has been applied?

06-30-2022, 02:09 PM   #289
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Is there a simple idiots guide on how to use Raw Therapee with these files? It is probably second nature to experienced users but is quite overwhelming to a beginner . If I set it to automatically choose the correct pp3 file based on ISO setting how do I tell if the right one has been applied?
The instructions are located inside the zip file.

The easiest thing would be to download the Windows 64 bit build from my Google Drive & install it on your machine. The PP3 files will be installed where they need to go.

You will have to navigate to system folders to install the rest of the items like the Adobe .dcp files, but it's all relatively easy to do.

06-30-2022, 02:44 PM   #290
Pentaxian

The instructions are located inside the zip file.

The easiest thing would be to download the Windows 64 bit build from my Google Drive & install it on your machine. The PP3 files will be installed where they need to go.

You will have to navigate to system folders to install the rest of the items like the Adobe .dcp files, but it's all relatively easy to do.
Does the Pentax DCP folder go inside
C:\Program Files\RawTherapee
or
C:\ProgramFiles\RawTherapee\5.8-3100-g0599a5e96

06-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #291
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Copy the folder there. There should be that folder & whatever version of RawTherapee folder in it. Basically 2 folders in there.
06-30-2022, 03:02 PM   #292
Pentaxian

Copy the folder there. There should be that folder & whatever version of RawTherapee folder in it. Basically 2 folders in there.
Right, that maybe where I went wrong last time I tried

06-30-2022, 03:15 PM   #293
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Should be good now.
06-30-2022, 03:22 PM   #294
Pentaxian

^ Should be good now.
Another daft question. Which profile will the dynamicprofile.cfg use? Is it the relevant one from the list under TSM - Noise Reduction? Since the others are all optional I have a feeling it must be.

06-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #295
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Another daft question. Which profile will the dynamicprofile.cfg use? Is it the relevant one from the list under TSM - Noise Reduction? Since the others are all optional I have a feeling it must be.
Yes. The TSM - Noise Reduction PP3 files.

If you go to Preferences on the lower left hand side, a box will appear. Go to the Dynamic Profile Rules section & you can se how they're setup & what PP3 file they're using. You can add more if you like.
07-01-2022, 04:37 AM   #296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every few months I go to pixls.us to see if there's any update on 5.9 or 6.0. But it looks like development has slowed to a crawl. I can't really complain, as this is free/open source software and I don't have the programming chops to help out. Hopefully folks like @heckflosse can devote some time to the project and get the next release out in the next few months. Because it's a fantastic application.

In the interim I will probably go figure out how to build the latest dev release instead of just using the stable 5.8 release. At least local adjustments/spot fix is in there. Every time I upgrade I have to re-learn how to compile for my machine, and then remember how to set up everything like the dynamic pp3 rules. Looking back through this thread I've been using 5.8 for a loooooong time.
07-01-2022, 07:29 AM   #297
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Hey! If it ain't broke, don't tfix it? Hahaha!

Yeah. I check the milestone once in a while & it hasn't moved form 72% in like forever.

v5.9 Milestone · GitHub

It's all good, though.

As far as compiling goes, I have a system figured out here. In my C: drive I have a folder called code. In that folder, I have a folder called repo-rt. With those folders setup, these are the lines I use to compile.

Code:
$ git clone https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee.git /c/code/repo-rt

$ cd /c/code/repo-rt

$ git checkout dev

$ mkdir build

$ cd build

$ cmake -G "Ninja" -DLENSFUNDBDIR=share/lensfun -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="release" -DPROC_TARGET_NUMBER="2" -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX="5-dev" ..

$ cmake --build . --target install
I then copy all the files required to the release directory per this link. You just need to make sure that you have the latest MSYS2 & follow the instructions in the previous link.

Before doing all that, I usually modify the improccoordinator.cc & simpleprocess.cc files in the rtengine folder by replacing FILMLIKE with STD. This way RawTherapee uses a standard tone curve instead of that funky Film-Like tone curve. Ninja compiles it really fast. I usually test it to make sure it's not buggy before I install it or make a generic build with Inno Setup to distribute.
07-01-2022, 11:27 AM   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^ Hey! If it ain't broke, don't tfix it? Hahaha!

Yeah. I check the milestone once in a while & it hasn't moved form 72% in like forever.

v5.9 Milestone · GitHub

It's all good, though.

As far as compiling goes, I have a system figured out here. In my C: drive I have a folder called code. In that folder, I have a folder called repo-rt. With those folders setup, these are the lines I use to compile.

Code:
$ git clone https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee.git /c/code/repo-rt

$ cd /c/code/repo-rt

$ git checkout dev

$ mkdir build

$ cd build

$ cmake -G "Ninja" -DLENSFUNDBDIR=share/lensfun -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="release" -DPROC_TARGET_NUMBER="2" -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX="5-dev" ..

$ cmake --build . --target install
I then copy all the files required to the release directory per this link. You just need to make sure that you have the latest MSYS2 & follow the instructions in the previous link.

Before doing all that, I usually modify the improccoordinator.cc & simpleprocess.cc files in the rtengine folder by replacing FILMLIKE with STD. This way RawTherapee uses a standard tone curve instead of that funky Film-Like tone curve. Ninja compiles it really fast. I usually test it to make sure it's not buggy before I install it or make a generic build with Inno Setup to distribute.
You don't ever happen to compile in Linux, do you? I'm sure it's similar, but my attempts at using the automated scripts and directions from RawPedia haven't been terribly successful in compiling the dev build. I know I did it for 5.8, but it's been a while and that's a stable release.
07-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #299
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ A while ago I compiled a native build manually in Fedora, but it ended up having its quirks. I also tried the Appimages, but they had issues at times.

As of right now, I'm just using the native one from that I got from the GNOME Software in Fedora 36. It's version 5.8. It works perfectly fine for me.
07-02-2022, 12:10 PM   #300
Pentaxian

If I open a DNG in Raw Therapee which was taken with Daylight White Balance on a K-50, I see a big difference if I switch between "Camera" and "Daylight" white balance. Is Pentax "Daylight" that different to Raw Therapee "Daylight"?