Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 192 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ A while ago I compiled a native build manually in Fedora, but it ended up having its quirks. I also tried the Appimages, but they had issues at times.

As of right now, I'm just using the native one from that I got from the GNOME Software in Fedora 36. It's version 5.8. It works perfectly fine for me.
So my simple workaround was just to download the dev build appimage and use that for now. My machine is fast enough that it should work well enough, and quick trial didn't reveal any obvious problems. I just have to get around to setting up all my dynamic profiles and similar.

---------- Post added 07-02-22 at 03:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
If I open a DNG in Raw Therapee which was taken with Daylight White Balance on a K-50, I see a big difference if I switch between "Camera" and "Daylight" white balance. Is Pentax "Daylight" that different to Raw Therapee "Daylight"?
I believe so, yes. RawTherapee doesn't natively have any Pentax settings aside from just using what's embedded in the DNG file. I'd assume Daylight is whatever the RT developers decided it should be. I'm not sure if there's some kind of industry standard for about what Daylight White Balance should be.

07-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #302
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
So my simple workaround was just to download the dev build appimage and use that for now. My machine is fast enough that it should work well enough, and quick trial didn't reveal any obvious problems. I just have to get around to setting up all my dynamic profiles and similar.

---------- Post added 07-02-22 at 03:20 PM ----------

I believe so, yes. RawTherapee doesn't natively have any Pentax settings aside from just using what's embedded in the DNG file. I'd assume Daylight is whatever the RT developers decided it should be. I'm not sure if there's some kind of industry standard for about what Daylight White Balance should be.
I checked Camera White Balance Temperature and Tint in a few different applications
Adobe Camera Raw 5450 +26
DXO Optics 9 5455 8
Raw Therapee 5052 0.785
The Daylight White Balance Temperature and Tint in each application
Adobe Camera Raw 5500 +10
DXO Optics 9 5455 8
Raw Therapee 5300 1.000
That is a big difference for Raw Therapee.
07-02-2022, 02:35 PM   #303
Pentaxian

I checked Camera White Balance Temperature and Tint in a few different applications
Adobe Camera Raw 5450 +26
DXO Optics 9 5455 8
Raw Therapee 5052 0.785
The Daylight White Balance Temperature and Tint in each application
Adobe Camera Raw 5500 +10
DXO Optics 9 5455 8
Raw Therapee 5300 1.000
That is a big difference for Raw Therapee.
The question, of course is, which one do you think looks better?...

White balance will vary from camera to camera... and depending on your settings it might be determined when you determine the metering, so if you half press and focus on an object, it might determine the scene based on what it sees then, and when you move to reframe, you're adding other elements and taking off some elements. That will greatly vary the white balance that RawTherapee or any Raw developer will pick, because it only sees what is in the picture, not what was there when you locked the exposure.

There are a lot of variables to this so you shouldn't be surprised when RT defaults are different.
07-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The question, of course is, which one do you think looks better?...

White balance will vary from camera to camera... and depending on your settings it might be determined when you determine the metering, so if you half press and focus on an object, it might determine the scene based on what it sees then, and when you move to reframe, you're adding other elements and taking off some elements. That will greatly vary the white balance that RawTherapee or any Raw developer will pick, because it only sees what is in the picture, not what was there when you locked the exposure.

There are a lot of variables to this so you shouldn't be surprised when RT defaults are different.
I had my White Balance set to "Daylight" in the camera and the Exif confirms this. How do raw converters translate that into Colour Temperature and Tint? DXO is the only one where the "As Shot" figures match the "Daylight" figures.
I just noticed Adobe Camera Raw was set to "Adobe Standard" in Camera Calibration. If I change that to "Embedded" the colour temperature becomes 5100 and tint +37 which is closer to Raw Therapee 5052 and 0.785 (although I have no idea how a tint of +37 compares to 0.785)

07-03-2022, 05:00 AM   #305
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my White Balance set to "Daylight" in the camera and the Exif confirms this. How do raw converters translate that into Colour Temperature and Tint? DXO is the only one where the "As Shot" figures match the "Daylight" figures.
I just noticed Adobe Camera Raw was set to "Adobe Standard" in Camera Calibration. If I change that to "Embedded" the colour temperature becomes 5100 and tint +37 which is closer to Raw Therapee 5052 and 0.785 (although I have no idea how a tint of +37 compares to 0.785)
With RawTherapee it's easy enough to make a PP3 file that sets color temp to 5450 with a tint value you like, and you can apply that to any raw file you want.
09-08-2022, 11:51 AM - 3 Likes   #306
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files.

There is also a Windows 64bit build in my Google Drive.

The ISO PP3 files have received some NR tweaks. The luminance noise reduction has been set to slider. This reduces grain, but still preserves detail. If you want to eek out just a bit more detail & don't mind a bit more grain, use the curve method. It's almost like you're turning on sharpening with the curve method. You'll see a couple of Luminance Control PP3 files in the Optional Noise Reduction folder. You'll have to pixel peep 100% to see the differences. You'll also notice that the jpeg file sizes get larger when you use the curve method.

Remember to save your old PP3 files just in case you don't like the latest. Same with your installations. OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 12-01-2022 at 09:59 AM.
09-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #307
Pentaxian

Original Poster
CAMERA SPECIFIC UPDATE!

I'm sharing my own personal RawTherapee presets for my K-50 & K-3II. These are what I use by default. I can comfortably shoot up to ISO 12800 on both of them if I have to. I have Dynamic Profile Rules set & I just right click > processing profile operations > reset to default. Then I put to queue & voila! My jpegs are done with only a few mouse clicks. The ISO PP3 files are set to use Pentax Bright. There are a few other optional PP3 files that you can use to change colors, correct exposure, and/or add more noise reduction.

The K-50 files can also be used on the K-01, K-5/5II/5IIs, K-30, & K-500.

The K-3II files can be used with the K-3 as well.

These PP3 files have noise reduction settings, exposure settings, & color settings that are more tailored to those specific cameras, but you can use them on any other camera.

These are meant to be used with RAW files that don't use Shadow Correction & Highlight Correction (D-range) settings. You have to turn off the D-range settings in your camera for optimal results. Also avoid using "AUTO" / "Green Mode" on the control dial if the camera doesn't let you turn off D-range settings in that mode (i.e.: K-3II). This means that you have to be a bit more careful with exposure out in the field. You can still use these PP3 files with RAW files that have the D-range settings turned on, but you'll end up having exposure issues with some of them. You'd have to resort to using the Auto-Matched Tone Curve PP3 file to try to fix the exposure issues.

Everything that you need is in the zip file. There are Windows & Linux PP3 files. Just follow the installation instructions. Feel free to modify anything to your liking.

OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 12-01-2022 at 09:59 AM.
11-29-2022, 03:48 PM - 3 Likes   #308
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

The developers of RawTherapee have finally launched version 5.9!

Fun stuff!
11-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #309
Pentaxian

UPDATE!

Fun stuff!
Nice!! Not as important now that I'm also using the so called non-stable builds, and the one I'm using is quite stable, but yeah I'm downloading it now!
11-30-2022, 12:31 PM   #310
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
UPDATE!

Fun stuff!
I'm waiting for your zip file.
11-30-2022, 04:17 PM - 3 Likes   #311
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
I'm waiting for your zip file.
Not sure when I'll get a chance to compile one, but I'll bump the thread with an update as soon as I do.
11-30-2022, 07:55 PM   #312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UPDATE!

Fun stuff!
Oh... very nice. Been waiting on this one for a long while. Now I'll have to go back and re-figure out how to compile. This is why they need to release more often, so I don't forget those steps!
12-01-2022, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #313
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I'm uploading a new set of PP3 files. There are lots of changes since the last set. Just download them & try them out. Backup your old set before you replace them, in case you prefer them.

I have a Windows 64bit build on my Google Drive as well.

On a side note, for those that want DCP files for their camera, here's a collection of them on my Google Drive. They're basically for the K-5 & all DSLR cameras released after that, but there are some for the K-01, Q7, Q-S1, & 645Z. You'll find the 5 basic DCP files in each folder for each camera. The other folders have the file names set up for RawTherapee. They go into the dcpprofiles folder. RawTherape will automatically use them. If you rename them, RawTherapee won't use them, unless you point to the patch manually.

OK! Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 01-11-2023 at 01:18 PM.
12-03-2022, 05:45 AM   #314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got 5.9 compiled and running, all good there. Surprisingly easy to reinstate all my dynamic profiles and other settings. But two things are amiss.

First, the Favorites tab isn't showing up. I edited the Options file in the same folder as the Rawtherapee executable, added the [GUI] section and made an entry for Favorites=, but no tab ever appears. I know I had this working in 5.8 for years, and I don't remember anything special I had to do to make it work. Any ideas? Is there any way it could be looking at a different Options file besides the one in the directory with the executable?

Second, it's still not recognizing the K-3 Mark III. Under Profiled Lens Correction, either on automatically selected or using the drop-down there's no K-3 Mark III. Not under Pentax or Ricoh Pentax or Ricoh. Even though in the 5.9 notes it specifically calls out support for the Mark III. Is there some external file that needs to get updated? Lenses are recognized just fine.

If nobody here knows I'll have to go ask the same thing on pixls.us, but figured I'd try here first.
12-03-2022, 06:12 AM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Release 5.9 is great news and it looks like a huge update. Many thanks to the developers! - Since I'm on MacOS I still have to wait some time to be able to download and install it.