Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 12:49 PM - 11 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

The Squirrel Mafia's new & improved RawTherapee thread!

Welcome to my simplified RawTherapee thread! The old thread was getting a bit long & complicated.

Before anything else, make sure you download & install the latest version of RawTherapee from their website link or development builds link. If you're brave enough & want to have a RawTherapee build that runs better on your machine, you can compile your own Windows, Linux, or Mac version. It's not hard. Just follow the instructions.

On occasion, I will build a generic version of RawTherapee for Windows 64 bit. I'll be uploading the executable files into my Google Drive. I build it using the Standard tone curve as the default curve & the .pp3 files in there will be set to sRGB (closer to OOC jpeg) or ProPhoto (wider color gamut) color space. Feel free to try it out by downloading it, unzipping it, & installing it.

In this thread you will find .pp3 files that will help you get started with your post processing. Just download the zip files & unzip them. Install the files & folders in either of the following locations:

Download latest PP3 files here.

Windows
C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\profiles
(you need to have administrator privileges)

Linux
usr/share/rawtherapee/profiles
(you need to have root privileges like using "gksudo nautilus" in Ubuntu for example - please note that you might have to either copy an existing folder inside this directory & rename it & then paste the pp3 files into them or "chmod" a folder to get the correct settings so that RawTherapee can run)

The reason I install the .pp3 files in the system folders is that all users on that machine will have access to them. You can alternately install them in your Appdata\RawTherapee folder in Windows or your .config folder in Linux, but they're only available to you & no one else on the machine. There's more information in this link & this link for paths.

I don't use a Mac, but I'm guessing that it would be kind of similar to the Linux installation. When you run RawTherapee, the .pp3 files will appear in the Processing Profiles section as shown in the image below.

Just scroll down & select the appropriate ISO.

If you can't install the files into either of the specified folders, then just manually load the .pp3 file that you want to use by pressing the "folder" button in the Processing Profiles section & manually navigate to where you unzipped the files & select the .pp3 file that you want to use.

What do the .pp3 files do? The non-pixel shift & pixel shift folders contain settings for each ISO that will help you get started instead of you trying to figure out what is what. You start by selecting one of the files in those folders. The file that you select will probably be good enough as it is. You can change other settings to your liking & if you think you've messed up the photo too much, you can always go back in the history stack on the left side of RawTherapee or reapply the same .pp3 file again to reset your changes.

The other folders contain optional .pp3 files that you can add on top of the ones you have already used. They have additional settings that you can apply.

Make sure that your Processing profile fill mode button is depressed like in the image below.

^ You want your button to look like the "green" image, not the "red" image. If your button is set like the one in the "red" image, all your previous settings will be lost whenever you apply an additional .pp3 file.

Still stumped on what each setting does? Visit the RawPedia page to find out what's inside each tab & how they work. There is a lot of information there. You can also visit the RawTherapee forum.

One more thing! RawTherapee can use HaldCLUTs to do film simulations. You can apply Agfa, Fuji, Ilford, Kodak, Lomography, Polaroid, or Rollei film simulations to your images. Go to the RawTherapee Film Simulation page to get more information. You can download a HaldCLUT collection at the bottom of the Film Simulation page. When you open RawTherapee, go to Preferences > Image Processing & set the HaldCLUT directory to wherever you unzipped the HaldCLUTs. Restart RawTherapee & they will appear in the Film Simulation area of the Color tab.

Try to look for my latest post in this thread to get the most recent set of .pp3 files. You can also find them by clicking on this link that shows all attachments in this thread. The .pp3 files will usually be in a zip file with the following name format: year/month/date PP3.zip. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 07-17-2019 at 03:25 PM.
02-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks a lot!
Will install profiles later on and see how I go.
02-12-2019, 03:59 AM   #3

Thanks for your kind work!
02-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Do your Pixel Shift profiles work with Dynamic PS?
Thanks!

02-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I don't think the guys at RawTherapee have compiled a code for Dynamic Pixel Shift just yet. I don't know if it's in the works either.
02-20-2019, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded some new PP3 files with some revised NR settings & a few other things.

There is a file in there called Auto-Match ProPhoto.pp3 that you can set as your Default Processing Profile for RAW photos inside the Image Processing tab of the Preferences settings in RawTherapee.

I've also compiled a recent version of RawTherapee for Windows 64bit with the PP3 files pre-installed. Just head on over to my Google Drive to download it. Unzip & install after.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 03-11-2019 at 10:58 AM.
02-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Squirrel Mafia, saw your post this evening and want to thank you for all your work. I have a question on the profile on the google drive. Are the profiles dated 2-20-19 all inclusive or are there additional profiles in the previous file? I installed both but files only get the profiles from 2-20 when I run the program.

02-23-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Thanks. The builds that I have on the Google Drive have the PP3 files already installed. The only difference between the builds I make & the one you download from the RawTherapee website is the type of default tone curve being used. I've modified RawTherapee to use a standard tone curve instead of using a film-like tone curve. All the preinstalled PP3 files in my build are set to sRGB color space as well to get results closer to what the out of camera jpegs look like. The PP3 files that I upload directly to this thread are set to Prophoto color space. Those work better with the film-like tone curve.
02-24-2019, 03:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

@The squirrel mafia: Kudos to all the great work you are doing and then sharing it for free to the community.
02-24-2019, 03:36 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Do your Pixel Shift profiles work with Dynamic PS?
Thanks!
I don't think so. The issue is that with traditional based pixel shift, the amount of shift is known, but with dynamic pixel shift, it is based on hand shake and I'm guessing that information is stored in a way that is difficult to access. I think the best you can do is split the four images up and do a super resolution technique on them in Photoshop or, save your image as a TIFF file in camera.
03-11-2019, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded some new PP3 files with some revised NR settings & a few other things.

There is a file in there called Auto-Match ProPhoto.pp3 that you can set as your Default Processing Profile for RAW photos inside the Image Processing tab of the Preferences settings in RawTherapee.

I've also compiled a recent version of RawTherapee for Windows 64bit with the PP3 files pre-installed. Just head on over to my Google Drive to download it. Unzip & install after.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 04-22-2019 at 09:00 AM.
04-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded a new set of PP3 files that have some new configurations.

The zip contains the PP3 files around with an optional dynamic profile configuration which can automate RawTherapee for you.

The PP3 files have some minor NR tweaks.

The other folder contains a file & some instructions that might come in handy for some.

Try them out & let me know what you think!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 04-22-2019 at 09:00 AM.
04-22-2019, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

RawTherapee 5.6 is out!

You can download it from the RawTherapee website or you can download a slightly modified version for Windows 64bit from my Google Drive that uses a Standard tone curve instead of the Film-like tone curve & has the PP3 files already installed for you. There are some other optional things for you to install as well.

I have also attached a new set of PP3 files for the rest of you. They have some minor NR changes & things like that. Nothing major. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 05-09-2019 at 07:38 AM.
05-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Having failed with PDCU (or maybe more accurately, since PDCU failed on my machine in some unknown unrecoverable way), I've given RT "the ol' college try" for the past few days.

Being interested first and foremost in replicating Pentax color, and secondmost in filing for divorce from Adobe, I'm wondering what this community's opinion is wrt Pentax DCP files as found in this post at RawPedia.

Finding, learning, and adapting to a new workflow is a major disruption, and I'm now almost a week behind in my Daily-In submissions, but I think in the long run this might be the solution I've been looking for. What do you all think?

**edit** I've attached the DCP files I'm talking about for both the K-1 and the K-1 mII. Unzip the files to the dcpprofiles folder in the rawtherapee/5.6/ directory and you can call them up under the Color Management menu.
Attached Files
File Type: zip K1 DCP files.zip (412.5 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by jcdoss; 05-08-2019 at 09:03 AM.
05-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I've used the DCP files from the DNG converter. Some cameras like the K-3II & K-1/1II even have the Bright, Natural, Portrait, etcetera tones that are in the camera. These kind of replicate the colors that you get from PDCU5, but they're srill not as accurate as PDCU5. Give them a try.

The newest build in my Google Drive has some experimental PP3 files for higher ISO images that basically obliterate almost all low frequency color noise. They do wash out the colors ever so slightly when comparing to PDCU5, but it still looks better than the OOC jpeg. I'll be uploading the stand alone PP3 files later today.