Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-1 prints

I'm using the Pentax K-1 for quite some time but so far I have no experience in printing large. Recently I have been contacted by some space design company, they want to print some of my pictures and hang them in office buildings or such. As far as I understood, they want to print 4x3 meters big at 100 dpi... problem is for that they need 15748 x 11811 resolution, which is bigger than the 7360 x 4912 resolution. Are there any tricks to overcome this?

Later edit: I think the simplest trick would be shoot panoramas, but that's for the future, not sure if there is any solution for the already existing pictures.

Last edited by Hattifnatt; 02-15-2019 at 04:41 AM.
02-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Topaz Studio has a product. AI Giga something that is designed for this purpose.
02-15-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Topaz AI GigaPixel review, image resizing software tested

- Haven't tried it yet myself as I haven't had the need yet, but would if it arises. Not so sure about the additional operations mentioned about halfway through the review ("more than simple resizing") so I'd go for the trial first....

Last edited by rjbrett; 02-15-2019 at 06:00 AM.
02-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried resampling an image to 15748 x 11811 resolution ? Look at in 100% view. A print that big will be viewed from further away than say a 24"*16" print, so it is not expected to have the same appearance close up.

02-15-2019, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was taken on a 10Mp K10D - so interpolation software works - but I know nothing about sources

02-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Usually if you send your full resolution file to a print service they will up-rez it to fit the size print required (and will usually print around 300dpi). Unless your client really needs a native resolution of 100 dpi, the K-1 file will up-rez to about 42 dpi (with a left/right side crop) at the size you stated. That's not too bad and should be suitable for viewing. You may have more issues with lens resolution than with up-rezing.

You can do the up-rezing yourself in Photoshop but not sure if it will handle that large of an output file. Try a center section of one of your photos and take a look.

Best bet as suggested is to try a sample on one of more of your photos and see what the client says (don't tip them off that they lack the full 100 dpi native resolution before you get approval).

Your other alternative is to stitch several K-1 shots to get a truly 100dpi native resolution result (as you surmised). That would also help overcome lens resolution issues.

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-15-2019 at 09:54 AM.
02-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
pid
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Topaz Studio has a product. AI Giga something that is designed for this purpose.
I would not believe, what they say in their marketing. Did you take a look at their sample pictures? This is clear fake, no software on world can invent details which are not there. How should that go? They seem to show a high resolution picture and write that this would be AI result. Just stupid!
02-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
I'm using the Pentax K-1 for quite some time but so far I have no experience in printing large. Recently I have been contacted by some space design company, they want to print some of my pictures and hang them in office buildings or such. As far as I understood, they want to print 4x3 meters big at 100 dpi... problem is for that they need 15748 x 11811 resolution, which is bigger than the 7360 x 4912 resolution. Are there any tricks to overcome this?

Later edit: I think the simplest trick would be shoot panoramas, but that's for the future, not sure if there is any solution for the already existing pictures.
If you are using Photoshop, just increase the pixel count of the file in image size. I expect there are better software solutions out there, but they are all doing much the same thing.
You will have bigger issues than resizing if your shooting technique wasn't rock solid. I landed a job a number of years ago to sell giant landscape prints to a local store through the lab I worked at. I was using a Pentax 6x7, and the negs were being blown up to something like 6x8 feet. I had a lot of negs that were fine at my more usual print sizes that completely fell apart for technical reasons, very minor camera shake being the biggest one.

02-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot these with my K-70 (6000x4000), its not a K-1, and the prints are not 3x4 meters, but the guy who made the prints for the trailer said the quality of the pictures was more than what is neede for the size.

02-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Very helpful suggestions so far, thanks a lot everybody! I will try resizing and asking them to do a test print, see how it works. In the future I will also try to shoot more panoramas.
02-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO, to know the requirement in terms of resolution, size + knowing the viewing distance would tell if the native resolution of the K1 is sufficient. For viewing distance at 1 x diagonal of the print, 8Mp is assumed to be enough.
02-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you are using Photoshop, just increase the pixel count of the file in image size. I expect there are better software solutions out there, but they are all doing much the same thing.
You will have bigger issues than resizing if your shooting technique wasn't rock solid. I landed a job a number of years ago to sell giant landscape prints to a local store through the lab I worked at. I was using a Pentax 6x7, and the negs were being blown up to something like 6x8 feet. I had a lot of negs that were fine at my more usual print sizes that completely fell apart for technical reasons, very minor camera shake being the biggest one.
I took a look at my old version of Photoshop and it handles the 100dpi 4x3 meter file just fine (over 200MB files). It uses "bicubic" interpolation and since you're only going for about twice the dpi, that should work fine. Granted you don't get details that wern't there to begin with, but interpolation does perform well to help it look that way as long as not too much interpolation is done (as in this case).

As Wheatfield stated, you need top notch lenses, a good tripod, and solid support (no wind or shaking ground). Also, this is an excellent application for the K-1 pixel shift mode which will boost effective resolution by eliminating interpolation from the Bayer mask (for your future work).