Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can you update just the camera profiles in LR?

I suspect I know the answer, but I have LR 5.7 and I assume I can't update to any newer version without converting to CC, but is there any way to update just the camera profiles so that it will handle RAW files from my new K-1 II?

02-18-2019, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I suspect I know the answer, but I have LR 5.7 and I assume I can't update to any newer version without converting to CC, but is there any way to update just the camera profiles so that it will handle RAW files from my new K-1 II?
Sort of.

If you shoot DNG files with your K-1 II, you can open the images, it just won't give you many options with regard to camera profiles. You can down load current ACR and it has an Adobe Standard version of the camera profile you can apply. The other thing you can do is get Huelight Profiles. They're 15 dollars and work pretty well (I use them with the stand alone version of Lightroom 6 which also doesn't support the K-1 II).

This is the link to those, if you are interested: Huelight Pentax Camera Profiles
02-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That reminds me that I bought some other third-party profiles years ago and was quite pleased. That's a great option, thanks for the info and the link!

I guess I'll just have to decide if 5.7 is good enough for me long-term. Ability to process pixel-shift files is one thing I know I'll be missing.
02-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #4

Another Huelight user here, the latest version 1.92 is very good.

02-19-2019, 01:26 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can still update to LR 6.x (perpetual) and you will require at least that major version in order to have full Adobe Standard and K-1ii Camera ("bright", "landscape", "natural", etc.) support for both PEF and DNG. If shooting with DNG only, LR 5.7 will support your camera's files, but with the embedded profile only. The catch is that even the most recent update for LR 6 lacks the camera profile files for the K-1ii. Getting them is not hard, but actually using them requires jumping through a few hoops.

First of all, one should be clear on what the camera profile (.dcp) files do and what they don't do. In short, they contain instructions for the RAW processor on how to best massage the capture data for a good initial rendering (e.g. "Adobe Standard" or "embedded") or to render with an intended special effect (e.g. "Vivid", "Sepia", and such). The are also specific to DNG unless the camera has native support for the Lightroom or ACR version being used. It is also possible to create special custom profiles for specific lighting or subjects. Camera profiles do NOT provide support for camera features such as pixel shift or HDR. They are also NOT the same as Lightroom presets; the profiles are applied as part of much lower levels of processing and leave the sliders in their default positions. They are also not the same as icc color profiles, though there are some similarities.

So, where are these profile files? For most Lightroom installations they will be found at:

HTML Code:
-- LR installation directory
|
-- Resources
|
-- CameraProfiles
|
-- Adobe Standard
|
-- Camera
Conspicuously absent will be files for your K-1ii. Without them, LR will not be able to process PEF at all and will default to the embedded profile found within the DNG file. There is nothing wrong with the embedded profile except that its look will be somewhat different than that of "Adobe Standard" or whatever profile you might want to use instead. While even the most recent versions of LR 6 lack the .dcp files for the K-1ii, it is still possible to get profile files for it and for all other cameras supported in the most recent versions of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) through the Adobe DNG Converter tool. While the primary purpose of the DNG Converter is to create DNG from proprietary RAW and various image files, it also comes bundled with a full collection of camera profiles current to the date of the converter version. In other words, the current version of the DNG Converter copies the profile files for the K-1ii to the computer hard drive as part of the install procedure from which they may be copied for other purposes.

The DNG Converter tool may be downloaded from:
Adobe Digital Negative Converter
Follow the instructions for installation and continue as directed below.

Happily, one does not need to convert any files to make use of the bundled .dcp profile files. Instead, one merely needs to find them and copy them to the directories used by Lightroom for the user's custom profile files. For Windows the bundled profile files will be found someplace similar to this:
Code:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles
Note that the "ProgramData" directory may be a hidden system directory, but exists none-the-less. If unable to find the profile file directory, do a file search for *.dcp (all files with the .dcp extension).

When the profiles are found for the K-1ii, copy them to the user's custom profile directory. For Windows, the user's custom profile directory might be something like this:
Code:
C:\Users\steve\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles
I know this is a little complex, but may be worth the effort. At one time, there were detailed instructions from Adobe, but those seem to have evaporated.

Steve

(...is currently able to use K-1ii profiles from LR 6 with no difficulty, as well as hacked K-3ii profiles for use with K-3 files...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Correction to directory structure
02-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for this, I am waiting for my K-1 to come back from upgrading today and was wondering about LR6. I have tried it with downloaded K-1 II samples and it works just as you said. I will make custom profiles with my ColorChecker Passport but it is good to know that I can now access the standard profiles too.
02-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for this, I am waiting for my K-1 to come back from upgrading today and was wondering about LR6. I have tried it with downloaded K-1 II samples and it works just as you said. I will make custom profiles with my ColorChecker Passport but it is good to know that I can now access the standard profiles too.

02-19-2019, 06:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, I'm most likely going to use the Huelight profiles, and I use DNG only, so if I can update to 6.x then I'm assuming that those 2 factors should make things a little easier. I just assumed that if I tried to update I would be forced into CC, or, worst case, that my current version or license would be terminated. So do I just tell LR to "check for updates"?
02-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So do I just tell LR to "check for updates"?
I don't believe that this is possible. Updates are/were free as long as the first digit in the release number is the same. So, you would have to purchase a copy of LR 6.x since you say you are on 5.7.
02-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm most likely going to use the Huelight profiles, and I use DNG only, so if I can update to 6.x then I'm assuming that those 2 factors should make things a little easier.
Even with LR 6, you will be limited to DNG with the K-1ii since LR 6 does not offer native support for PEF with that camera. If installed, the Huelight K-1ii profiles will be present as options in the Camera Calibration panel along with embedded and any other installed K-1ii profiles. In other words, both those factors take care of themselves with the only "easier" part being installation of the Huelight profiles.

So do I just tell LR to "check for updates"?
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I don't believe that this is possible. Updates are/were free as long as the first digit in the release number is the same. So, you would have to purchase a copy of LR 6.x since you say you are on 5.7.
This ^ ^ ^

LR 5.7 will not update to LR 6. You can stay with LR 5.7, but will be limited to the DNG embedded profile.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2019 at 08:52 AM.
02-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
LR 5.7 will not update to LR 6. You can stay with LR 5.7, but will be limited to the DNG embedded profile.

Steve

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that I could update to LR 6.x. Well, if I would have to buy a copy of 6.x, do you know what are the main things I would be giving up by not giving in and going to CC? I already know that only the very latest CC update includes the ability to process K-1 II pixel shift files, do any other semi-important things come to mind?
02-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stand alone LR 6 can still be purchased from B&H or Amazon.
02-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

do you know what are the main things I would be giving up by not giving in and going to CC?
The ability to only pay for your software once?* Much depends on frequency of use and the value of independence from the cloud and the software-as-service business model.

Steve

* For example, I typically updated my Lightroom once every four years or so at a yearly outlay to Adobe of about $20.
02-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The ability to only pay for your software once?* Much depends on frequency of use and the value of independence from the cloud and the software-as-service business model.

Steve

* For example, I typically updated my Lightroom once every four years or so at a yearly outlay to Adobe of about $20.
Well, sure, and I get that. Though until the last few years when I've gotten away from photography I used to update every year or two. But I'm definitely not crazy about a subscription model. My biggest concern is that I'm about to build a new house in an area where my ISP options are basically satellite-based, which will be quite a step down compared to what I have now. I couldn't care less about syncing my files to the cloud, local storage is preferred to me, but how much data transfer is required to simply use LR CC? Are the program files stored on my computer and it simply checks to make sure I'm paid up or is the entire program cloud-based? I've been researching on the Adobe site but so far haven't been able to answer that question.
02-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but how much data transfer is required to simply use LR CC?
I am not a CC user, so I don't really know. My understanding that cloud storage is optional, most tasks may be done off-line, and minimal/intermittent connectivity is acceptable for stuff such as payment confirmation, license validity, and patch/update download. Whether there is sudden death for non-compliance is something I don't know.

Steve