Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LR printing A4 onto A3 and vice versa!

So I have an awkward thing going on with my printer and LR Print module.

Basically I have asked for enough help already to get my printing to be accurate in terms of colour reproduction etc etc. When I get the printing to successfully print (more on this later), I am extremely satisfied, to the point I actually have a 20 or so high quality A3 prints for my portfolio case that I take when visiting clients.

There is just one bug that I cannot get my head around, and cannot figure out how I actually come to 'fix it'. You're going to laugh but I swear the fix is to just 'put more paper' in the back of the machine..

Ok... so lets get to it. Let's say the last successful printing job was done A3 but now you want to print A4. In LR>Print Module>top left it will say 'Paper: A3' etc. So you navigate down to 'Printer...' and click it.

Once that opens the Print window and you make sure your printer is selected (in my case it's the iX6800 series) and then click 'Properties'.

At this next window I can now change some settings, changing the Printer Paper Size to A3, change the Media Type if now shooting Gloss instead of Matte, etc etc.

I can click 'Ok' and when I resume back to LR Print module I can now see top left is showing 'Paper: A4'. Check that I'm happy with the 'Image Settings' 'Zoom to fill' or not etc... Ok... everything looks good... good to go.

Except it doesn't work. What happens is the A4 sheet gets passed through the printer and what's printed is clearly a part of the A3 image, ie it's zoomed WAY too much in, it's like the printer still thinks I'm using A3, even when everything has been told it's A4!

And the exact opposite is true in the reverse. So let's say that the last job was A4, and now I want to print A3. I can go into all the printer settings again and change things from being A4 and set them to A3. I can see LR is happy with that, it says A3 etc, and I am good to go. The A3 sheet passes through the printer and guess what happens... I get a small A4 size print occupying one of the corners of the entire A3 sheet of paper (ie it printed A4 onto A3 despite every setting possible in and out of LR telling the printer it's supposed to print A3!).

I have turned the printer on and off after making the changes, closed LR down, started back up, and none of it seems to matter. It's like a delay or something, by the 3rd or 4th attempt it just finally 'does it right'... and I have a weird hunch that packing in a few more sheets into the back of the printer helps!? I know that sounds crazy but literally I am at a complete loss as to what finally gets it to print properly...

Can anyone advise me?

Cheers,

Bruce

02-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #2

Not certain if you navigated to the bottom left where it says page setup and changed the paper size there before going to the print commands at the bottom right.
It drove me crazy last night trying to do the same thing until is used "page setup" on bottom left.

Seemed to work fine from there.

Good luck

Jim
02-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimt Quote
Not certain if you navigated to the bottom left where it says page setup and changed the paper size there before going to the print commands at the bottom right.
It drove me crazy last night trying to do the same thing until is used "page setup" on bottom left.

Seemed to work fine from there.

Good luck

Jim
Ah... I don't think I used that before, clicking it just now it seems to open the exact same window as when clicking 'Printer...' with the exception that the window name says simply 'Print' when clicking 'Printer...' and 'Print Setup' for when clicking 'Page Setup'. Otherwise it looks identical.

I just clicked it now to check and yep it still says A4 (which is what I set it up as before when it wasn't working and still forcing A3 onto A4... ), but then I have had a complete system reboot since last print job and it may have sorted it.

Well its one thing to try next time things don't work... cheers