Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD Card Issue with Lightroom imports on K1 mark II

I've noticed that after I import images from my SD cards into Lightroom that when I put the SD card back into the camera I get a warning that the SD card is not formatted. I don't recall getting this warning or this problem in the past? Is this camera related or is there some configuration issue with my Lightroom that I need to adjust?

02-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check that LR is not deleting your files after import.
02-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Check that LR is not deleting your files after import.
Deleted files shouldn't change the status of the card. It would perhaps be blank but not unformatted.
02-24-2019, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
I get a warning that the SD card is not formatted
Are you doing an explicit "eject" or "unmount" of the card before removing it? This sort of report has a long history on this site and has more to do with operating system, formatting, and user practice than Lightroom or camera brand.

Steve

02-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This sort of report has a long history on this site...
Continuing from the previous comment...

Full resolution often involves a proper reformat using other than the computer's operating system utility as detailed below:
  1. The SD Association Web site has a format utility specifically intended for use with SD cards. Download the version appropriate for your operating system:
    SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association
  2. Using the option for "Overwrite Format", reformat the card using the SD Association's utility. This will fully remove any vestige of files and previous file systems from the card.
  3. Put the card in your camera and format again using the camera's format function
  4. Enjoy!

Steve
02-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've noticed that after I import images from my SD cards into Lightroom that when I put the SD card back into the camera I get a warning that the SD card is not formatted. I don't recall getting this warning or this problem in the past? Is this camera related or is there some configuration issue with my Lightroom that I need to adjust?
Is this a consistent and repetitive problem? Does it occur only when using LR or simply by removing and re-inserting the card in/out of the camera?
If the formatter suggested by Stevebrot doesn't help, it could be an indication of a bad SD card. More unlikely but possible is the camera.
Static is also always an issue... it's a finicky thing to eliminate completely but also not a terribly likely thing to affect the SD card with normal handling.

I've seen this happen once when using my laptop with LightRoom.
Another time I had to format a bunch of cards (in camera simply because I was in the field without my laptop). One of the cards came up with a not formatted error.
None of the cards had an issue a second time and I've been using these same cards for two years+ now. So I put it down to static or other anomaly.

If tis is a regular incident... something is wrong. (... "thank you captain obvious") 8-)
02-24-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do appreciate these responses. It is a consistent problem on the K1 II. It seems to be only my 64gb cards in my K1 II. I'll try the SD Memory Card Formatter to start with and see if that makes a difference. What I have been doing in the meantiime is locking the cards before inserting them in order to prevent any loss of data before I am ready to format the cards in the camera. Will let you know if the SD memory Card Formatter does the trick.

---------- Post added 02-24-2019 at 02:25 PM ----------

So I did download the SD Formatter and gave it a try. I did the reformat and then put the card into the camera reformatted it again and then took a burst of test shots. Put the card into the imac and it downloaded the images into lightroom. When I removed the sd card from the mac, and put the card into the camera the screen said card not formatted. I don't believe this is a static issue. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the K3II. Just tried it and everything was fine.

02-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
Forum Member

I do appreciate these responses. It is a consistent problem on the K1 II. It seems to be only my 64gb cards in my K1 II. I'll try the SD Memory Card Formatter to start with and see if that makes a difference. What I have been doing in the meantiime is locking the cards before inserting them in order to prevent any loss of data before I am ready to format the cards in the camera. Will let you know if the SD memory Card Formatter does the trick.

---------- Post added 02-24-2019 at 02:25 PM ----------

So I did download the SD Formatter and gave it a try. I did the reformat and then put the card into the camera reformatted it again and then took a burst of test shots. Put the card into the imac and it downloaded the images into lightroom. When I removed the sd card from the mac, and put the card into the camera the screen said card not formatted. I don't believe this is a static issue. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the K3II. Just tried it and everything was fine.
macOS likes to write a few files to a card when you plug it in. I alway switch on the SD card write protection to prevent the computer from mucking with the card. Don't have a K-1, don't have a 64GB, card so I have no idea if this will help.

Last edited by MadBill; 02-24-2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typo
02-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadBill Quote
macOS likes to write a few files to a card when you plug it in. I alway switch on the SD card write protection to prevent the computer from mucking with the card. Don't have a K-1, don't have a 64GB, card so I have no idea if this will help.
That's what I have been doing and will continue to do so. I haven't checked it with the 32gb cards as yet, but may try today.
02-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I just inserted a 32gb card (Sandisk Ultra) and I did a burst of about 10 images and then inserted the card into the imac and imported the images with no problem. I took the card out and put it back in the camera and there were no problems. The images were still on the card and it was readable.

So it seems that the problems that I am having are indeed with my 64gb cards which are Sandisk Extreme Pro. Hmm makes one wonder.
02-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #11
Forum Member

So I just inserted a 32gb card (Sandisk Ultra) and I did a burst of about 10 images and then inserted the card into the imac and imported the images with no problem. I took the card out and put it back in the camera and there were no problems. The images were still on the card and it was readable.

So it seems that the problems that I am having are indeed with my 64gb cards which are Sandisk Extreme Pro. Hmm makes one wonder.
Note that 32GB cards are SDHC and 64GB cards are SDXC and have a different file system than the 32GB cards.
02-26-2019, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadBill Quote
Note that 32GB cards are SDHC and 64GB cards are SDXC and have a different file system than the 32GB cards.
Adding context: SD/SDHC/SDXC Specifications and Compatibility
02-26-2019, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed. Linux OS needs a dedicated driver to access SDXC cards properly. Not sure about MacOS but given its BSD heritage, it is likely in a similar situation.