Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom help needed

Possibly (ir)relevant background:
After seeing some images that had been processed with Corel PaintShop I decided to download and give it a try. Total failure. Over the course of a week I opened it (sometimes extremely slow, sometimes it would not open) and attempted about five or six times to process and image. Each time the program would lock up, with the whatsit spinning and spinning, impossible to shut down the program, the only option was a hard shutdown of the computer via the on/off button. When it happened again this morning, I got disgusted and uninstalled the program.

NOW: Lightroom had been operating correctly up to this morning, but following the uninstall of Paint Shop, when I opened LR everything was gone. When I attempted to reinstall a catalog, it did not work. Subsequently I've imported all the image files again, BUT: ALL PP WORK ON EVERY IMAGE FILE IS GONE. LR indicates not one file has been processed in any way. Comparison of a few recently processed images in the ready-to-post folder with the image back in LR confirms that all PP work has disappeared. There are over 200,000 files of which at least half have been processed in some way. I've spent over an hour processing some pictures, for example, when removing a distracting background from an image of a statue taken in a museum. Could the uninstall of Paint Shop have taken all the PP information for LR with it?? That's the only reason for mentioning that failed experiment.

Any suggestions on how I might recover the PP data for LR would be greatly appreciated.

02-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

google "recover lightroom catalogue". You should have backup catalogues somewhere...
I hafd a similar problem. The hard drive all the images was on developed bad sectors. I replaced it but then discovered that running chkdisk had corrupted both the curent catalogue and many of the backups (and numerous images in various places). I eventually got one to work from a few months previously so it wasn't much work to bring it up to date.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-27-2019 at 02:17 PM.
02-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
google "recover lightroom catalogue". You should have backup catalogues somewhere...
I hafd a similar problem. The hard drive all the images was on developed bad sectors. I replaced it but then discovered that running chkdisk had corrupted both the curent catalogue and many of the backups. I eventually got one work from a few months previously so it wasn't much work to bring it up to date.

Thanks marcusBMG. I will check it out.
02-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You need to help Lightroom find your Lightroom Catalogue.

The Lightroom Catalogue will be in a folder, as per the screenshot below. And, if you have enabled backups, your backup profiles will be stored in zipped files. See the other screenshot below.

Attached Images

02-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Any suggestions on how I might recover the PP data for LR would be greatly appreciated.
Could the uninstall of Paint Shop have taken all the PP information for LR with it??
Question: Do you store the XMP processing information in the catalog or as side-car (.xmp) files?

If the latter, you may have to restore those from backup as well. It may be that PSP swept away the LR .xmp files as part of its uninstall clean-up.

Steve
02-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can select where you want the Lightroom catalog to be. I place mine in a folder inside the "Pictures" folder so that when I do my backups to my external USB drives the Lightroom catalog is backed up too. Also, the Lightroom catalogs are accumulative, meaning the old ones are not deleted. I usually delete all but the last two or three (actually, you only need one).

My system has two drives, one for the OS and a second one for my data, where the Pictures, Documents, and other stuff is located. Both drives are back up to two USB drives.

Last edited by Wingincamera; 02-27-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added info
02-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
You can select where you want the Lightroom catalog to be. I place mine in a folder inside the "Pictures" folder so that when I do my backups to my external USB drives the Lightroom catalog is backed up too. Also, the Lightroom catalogs are accumulative, meaning the old ones are not deleted. I usually delete all but the last two or three (actually, you only need one).

My system has two drives, one for the OS and a second one for my data, where the Pictures, Documents, and other stuff is located. Both drives are back up to two USB drives.
That's exactly what I do too. Good advice!

02-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to those who have responded. I have had some success getting some of the catalog restored, the process is laborious and there's a catch. There appear to be four catalog folders or catalogs, and one of them, when I attempt to open it, says that it cannot be opened because it is busy in another application, and advises me to close the other edition or version of Lightroom. Trouble is , there isn't another version and there isn't any other image processing program/app that is running. I have shut down the computer several times since this problem arose, and that alone should have shut down any such apps.
02-28-2019, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There appear to be four catalog folders or catalogs, and one of them, when I attempt to open it, says that it cannot be opened because it is busy in another application, and advises me to close the other edition or version of Lightroom.
Lightroom makes a little lock file when it has a catolog open. If your catalog is named Lightroom_Catalog.lrcat, look for a ~1KB file called Lightroom_Catalog.lrcat.lock sitting next to it. With Lightroom closed (to make sure it's actually not in use), delete the lock file and try opening the catalog.

If the lock file is there, Lightroom assumes the catalog is in use and won't open the file. It is supposed to delete the lock file when it closes the catalog, but if it crashes, the lock file might linger.
02-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Lightroom makes a little lock file when it has a catolog open. If your catalog is named Lightroom_Catalog.lrcat, look for a ~1KB file called Lightroom_Catalog.lrcat.lock sitting next to it. With Lightroom closed (to make sure it's actually not in use), delete the lock file and try opening the catalog.

If the lock file is there, Lightroom assumes the catalog is in use and won't open the file. It is supposed to delete the lock file when it closes the catalog, but if it crashes, the lock file might linger.

Thanks for that tip Brian. I've been going nuts trying to determine why LR thinks that catalog is being used by some other version of LR.