Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PS Elements 7.0 Student version?

My son is a college student in town. Is the version of PS 7.0 in college bookstores different from the regular priced version? It looks as though with his discount there is a savings.

10-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There should be something on the package if it is not the standard version. I'd ask the manager there.
10-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #3

Doesn't Adobe offer "Educational" pricing ?

Of so then it's the full product at a lower price, but you need to "prove" that you (or your son) is a student.

I think it involves sending them a mail with a copy of his student ID or something.

There is a downside in the future I think since I remember reading something about not beeing able to update in the future but I'm not sure.

Anyways, you can look at the Adobe website (maybe the Download edition is even a few $$ cheaper) and if you go to the store ask about it (just to be sure, but PSE is already a "limited" version of PS so I don't think they will limit it even more).
10-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I checked the price of Elements 6 last year at my daughters college and while it was cheaper than list price (69$), I got it on sale at Staples for the same price and got a 20$ rebate also. Adobe doesn't seem to discount their software to students all that much. However, she got MS Office through the college for 50$ so its always worth checking out the colleges price. At my daughters school, all the software is available to students through the college bookstore.

10-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #5

For stuff from Microsoft (Windows and Office) it might also be a good idea to ask the salesperson about the OEM versions.

Some will claim that it's not legal (need to buy a new PC to be able to get it) but that's incorrect ! It's 100% legal to buy Vista OEM (for example) the downside is that you don't get support (basically according to the license YOU are your own support) and the box must be sealed when you buy it. Oh, and you can't transfer the license to another computer (is locked to the Mobo but Microsoft might help you incase of a Motherboard problem for example).

I recently got Vista Home Basic for a very low price this way.
10-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've been out of school a couple of years but often took advantage of the educational pricing on products. In the case of PSE, this discount was always minimal. It was usually $70 (vs $100 full price). However, the discounts mounted up dramatically for PSCS3 and Lightroom. I believe PSCS3 went for $299 and Lightroom for $100.

The drawback, as someone mentioned, is that Adobe and most software companies don't offer upgrade benefits or discounts from educational licenses.
10-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My son got me both LR and PSE 6 earlier this year at an online stores for students and saved quite abit. Adobe site also has the student discounts need to prove buyer is a student. Yes it is the same program.