Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best Noise plugin for Lightroom

Looking for some recommendations. It's mainly for use on slides and negs I'm digitising, so if there's something particularly aimed at that, that would be ace. Preferably something that doesn't break the bank too $50 ish.

03-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a few options: Even a free one in there: Noise Removal Plug-Ins for Photoshop & Lightroom | Reinis Fischer
03-10-2019, 04:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is unsuitable about the built-in NR in LR?

If it were me though, I'm not sure I'd want to alter the character of the slides/negs at all. I think I'd leave them as is.
03-10-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
What is unsuitable about the built-in NR in LR?
Good question and I should have qualified my opening post by asking if any did! I guess the trade off in all noise reduction is softness but it's quite possible that the question I should have asked is what are the best settings to use in Lightroom?

And yes, some I wouldn't change, especially B&W but some I do.

03-10-2019, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
Good question and I should have qualified my opening post by asking if any did! I guess the trade off in all noise reduction is softness but it's quite possible that the question I should have asked is what are the best settings to use in Lightroom?
Ah, that's a different issue.
  1. While holding down the option key (mac, not sure on pc), adjust the Luminence NR to your taste.
  2. Adjust the Sharpening to 100-(Luminance NR)
  3. Adjust Color NR to get rid of blotches (rarely needed; in fact you can often dial it back a bit from the default value).
  4. Holding the Option key down again, adjust Masking to remove the noise introduced by the sharpening in smooth areas, but retain sharpness at edges. Experience and your personal taste will determine where that should sit.
03-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Ah, that's a different issue.
  1. While holding down the option key (mac, not sure on pc), adjust the Luminence NR to your taste.
  2. Adjust the Sharpening to 100-(Luminance NR)
  3. Adjust Color NR to get rid of blotches (rarely needed; in fact you can often dial it back a bit from the default value).
  4. Holding the Option key down again, adjust Masking to remove the noise introduced by the sharpening in smooth areas, but retain sharpness at edges. Experience and your personal taste will determine where that should sit.
I think the Alt key does the same in Windows. OK, I'll try that. I do use the Lightroom noise reduction but my method is hit and miss.
03-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the method outlined by Paul in ACR, and it’s very effective; you get noise reduction and sharpening in a single step. I generally find that masking between 95 and 100% works best for me.

03-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote

And yes, some I wouldn't change, especially B&W but some I do.
Leave noise as is, please
03-10-2019, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Leave noise as is, please
Hah! Have I accidentally hit on one of those subject that sparks passionate debate?

In an awful lot of cases, more than I would wish, the exposure is more of a problem than noise and in the great scale of things noise is the least of my concerns. In the same way, noise reduction has minimal effect but just occasionally I find a shot I would like to use it on but I am by no means a purist.
03-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I generally find that masking between 95 and 100% works best for me.
I never go nearly that high. Masking at 100% totally undoes the sharpening. But this depends on taste, and the amount of noise in the original image (which depends on ISO). With the option key held down, I increase masking till large areas are mostly black, but still leave wisps of faint thread and plenty of distinct edges. But as I said, that's only my preference: I lean more to keeping sharp features than other people might.
03-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #11

I have used Noiseware for years and have been very happy, $80. I use it in Photoshop. It has a lot of presets that work well, or you can customize the settings. In Photoshop I can blend the original and noise reduction images to keep more detail but get the noise out of the sky and shadows.
03-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Topaz Denoise is a great one IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use LR for most of my processing, including noise reduction. I have downloaded most of the "try it out" programs of most of the noise reduction programs and found them no better than the one inside of LR. What I did for testing is make a copy of the image in LR, then process the original using LR and the copy image using the program I am trying out. I just stay with LR and un-install the others. Just my experience.
03-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

+1 for Topaz Denoise
03-11-2019, 02:32 AM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations, most offer a free trial, so I may try some. I'm also getting better results out of Lightroom noise reduction now, although I have been using it sparingly.

Scanning negs is reminding me of the processes of getting a well exposed and clean picture and the importance of exposure and development. Some of my histograms are just thin lines, no point in worrying about noise on them.