Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Options for HDR photo editing

I am seeking input from those of you who use various programs/tools for HDR editing. I am looking at this mostly as a way to improve my pictures that have a big dynamic range, not to make wild crunchy pictures.

I have been using LR, definitely not to its total capabilities, for 5-6 years, now using v. 6.14. I have no Photoshop experience. But due to a problem trying to install LR6 on my new laptop (although I do most of my editing on my desktop), I may be forced to upgrade to the subscription, which does include Photoshop.

I prefer tools which can be used initially without a huge learning curve but which have refinements that can be learned as one goes.

So far, I have done trial versions of Photomatix and Aurora 2019. I have gotten some results I like in Aurora (by dialing back effects) but I am not sure about the way it fits into my workflow (although I am not using it as a LR plugin, that might help that situation). If I went this route I would probably continue to do most of my work in LR after going into Aurora as I love the LR history and the ability to experiment and go back easily.

It seems like each one I try or hear about, I love it until I look at the next one, which seems even better. But I am famous for biting off more than I can chew - I am trying to take a few steps forward on a continuing path rather than jump off a cliff.

This morning I was looking at the SEIM products, in particular the NHDR lightroom presets then stumbled upon Lumist, which would require my learning Photoshop -- but I absolutely love the idea of being able to see and adjust tones, I just wonder about my ability to deal with all this.

So, those of you who are using any of these or others, like HDR Efex Pro, etc., I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

03-10-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've done the Photomatix and Aurora routes and ultimately find them both to be a little heavy handed. I've moved away from those products, and now primarily use luminosity masks to get the most out my dynamic range without making my photos crunchy. I'm a big fan of Jimmy McIntyre's Raya Pro system (I think his site is called Shutter Evolve), though I've only just started using it. Prior to that I was doing all my luminosity work manually. Jimmy has good videos available for manually blending layers. Also you might check out Tony Kuyper, he has good luminosity mask information available, as does Sean Bagshaw. One thing I really like about these guys, especially Jimmy McIntyre, is that the keep it simple and easy to digest. Most tutorials are about fifteen minutes long. Just enough time to get the information across, and letting you practice and absorb it, without overwhelming you with way too much information. Additionally, JM has a nice basic "how to use Photoshop" which introduces you to the basic tools you need to understand workflow. Dave Cross has some nice in-depth photoshop tutorials.

Personally, I find Lightroom to be too limiting based on my workflow. Photoshop will allow you to take more advantage of your picture's dynamic range. And once you understand the workflow, you'll never look back. At least IMHO, ha!
03-10-2019, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use and teach with Photomatix Pro 6. It has a ton of options and yes, it's easy to get carried away and end up with a surreal painterly image. But with discipline and a light hand, it has lots of helpful features and a lot of options such as selective deghosting that once you become familiar with it, it's hard to beat.

The key is moderation and referring back to a base RAW image.

When I'm lazy or need a quick fix, I'll use Nik Collection's HDR Efx Pro 2, which simulates HDR with a single image. To avoid blown highlights, I will bracket with under exposures. But even HDR Efx Pro 2 goes over the top, so I'll create a new layer on Photoshop and then reduce the opacity of the HDR layer for a more natural render.
03-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there was a link to a free copy of the last version of Aurora....

found it: Freebie! (Aurora HDR) - PentaxForums.com

03-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning, A number of years ago, I finally sat down and started what you're doing - because I really didn't like anything for just a whole lot of reasons. I wanted something easy, that looked very natural. I tried everything and stumbled across Oloneo PhotoEngine (well actually their HDREngine, which is the core product). Their work flow is....
  • They have a screen where you point the utility to where your RAW images reside and it loads the thumbnails.
  • You choose the individual thumbnails to stack.
  • It loads and stacks the RAW images and puts you into the develop display.
  • Down the left hand side there are a lot of pre-determined selections you can choose from.
  • I either select original, natural or one of the others as a base
  • Then, off the right hand side are the tools that you can make adjustments with - if desired.
  • Then, the last step is to save the image off as a TIFF, or whatever.
I have found it easy, quick and painless - with the results being exactly what I was expecting. They offer the normal 30 day non-crippled trial. Their PhotoEngine product is their HDREngine coupled with a denoiser and a multiple lighting utility - neither of which I have used, but looked interesting.

03-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riverlady Quote
I have been using LR, definitely not to its total capabilities, for 5-6 years, now using v. 6.14.
Might be time to update your LR. LR itself has a HDR feature that is quite powerful and easy to use. I think the HDR Merge feature arrived in Lightroom CC 2015/Lightroom 6, received some enhancements in Lightroom Classic CC 7.4, and has continued to receive updates all the way up to the current Lightroom Classic CC v8.2.

HDR photo merge | Lightroom Classic CC

How to use Lightroom's HDR Photo Merge
03-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #7

I've started using Affinity Photo recently to merge exposure bracketed shots into one image and I must say I was pleasingly surprised with the outcome.

Granted this is only applicable to multiple exposures but for most parts you can get a very detailed image without the typical HDR-look.

I've also played with Aurora HDR and must say that for most part I do prefer the results from Affinity Photo.

Aurora however is able to create HDR from a single shot, something Affinity does not do.

Aurora also has many more levers, than Affinity, to move around if you really want to work on squeezing something out of your images.

Affinity does have some limitations I have regognized e.g. if you are merging images where you have painted by light and one frame maybe contains no information/light in part of the frame. In that case Affinity gives rather poor results for the merge, even though only one frame of many may be partially blacked out.

03-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Photomatix and Aurora. Aurora has better deghosting algorithms, but overall result depends on the scene - sometimes Aurora yields good image, on other occasion Photomatix wins by wide margin. I have not found out how to create EXR files in Aurora, but it is pretty easy in Photomatix, so for people who prefer PP in Photoshop the latter is more useful.
03-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #9

I'm using for HDR, the tool EASYHDR. It is an easy tool to generate LDR or HDR images. It is not expensive and comes with regular updates. A nice feature is the image alignment and lets you modify if needed. It has lens correction and may other features build in. For HDR processing, it gives you many options to choose from. More info is on https://www.easyhdr.com/

The price is $ 31 and you are allowed to install on two machines, laptop and desktop. A plugin for LR is included.
A free demo version is available.
Some pictures I made with my K3

https://difodessel.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/crestedpoolyellowstone2.jpg

https://difodessel.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/imgp2353_4_5fotodoka4.jpg

https://janjacobsphotography.com/portfolio/landscape/#jp-carousel-573

https://janjacobsphotography.com/portfolio/landscape/#jp-carousel-562

Last edited by jacobja; 03-10-2019 at 03:55 PM.
03-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I've moved away from those products, and now primarily use luminosity masks to get the most out my dynamic range without making my photos crunchy.
I agree that this is the best way to go.
03-11-2019, 02:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have stopped using HDR to merge different expositions. I'm doing DRI (Dynamic Range Increase) with layers in Paint Shop Pro (you can do it also from other layer enabled programs) using the lighter version as mask.

Years ago I made a tutorial : DRI_uk.pdf
03-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've cut back on HDR significantly (mostly because I find my camera captures DR pretty well in one image). When I do need HDR, I still use Nik HDR Efex because I can keep it real fairly easily. However, when I was still using LR 6, it is probably one of the best at keeping it real.

Now the question I guess is what is the objective for HDR. The OP sounds like he is trying to do HDR to get more DR out of his photos while keeping the photos real. Consequently, he probably wouldn't use HDR software for one photo. That isn't HDR but rather a method to create a tone-mapped style, which is probably what the OP is avoiding.

I tend to work that way too, and I can recommend that going towards luminosity masking is a viable alternative to HDR, but not terribly easy; I do find Affinity Photo is great for luminosity masking and blending.

Using HDR software is challenging, however, because it is very easy to go too far with little effort. The software seems geared towards an HDR look, and it is actually more effort to do less. That is where LR was nice because HDR is more of an afterthought; it is there to get you to a 32-bit image, and then you are just processing an image like any other (albeit with a lot more dynamic range). Same goes with the HDR feature within Photoshop. Nik HDR Efex was nice because starting with its realistic settings you could fiddle around without the intermediate 32-bit file. Aurora seems ok in a similar way. I never liked Photomatix much; although it is (assuming you still can) easy to export a 32-bit file without doing any tone mapping (where the HDR look comes from).

Anyway you look at it (HDR vs luminosity masking), one needs to recognize that getting a good result takes work. HDR seems easier, but it requires a gentle hand to get a good result. Luminosity masking doesn't hide its challenging aspects, but those aspects can pay off as the user will understand exactly what they are doing (after a lot of practice).
11-23-2020, 02:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

For merging HDR shots I have been using HDR Pro in PS. However, recently I have noticed artefacts and general muddiness appearing in the darker areas of the final result. Also, the colours haven't always been correct, with tinges of magenta that weren't in any of the individual shots. I also have Photomatix Pro so decided to try this with the same batch of photos. The result wasn't only perfect, in terms of correct colour toning and total lack of arterfacts, but was also so much faster than using Photoshop. Anybody else having this problem in PS?
12-11-2020, 05:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For anyone searching on this older thread, I just wanted to mention that Photomatix now has a Linux version that works quite well although I believe it's missing a few features from the Win/Mac versions. And it's just $35 or so.