Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #16
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
To this day, it still astonishes me what can be done compared to film.
As am I, the ability to mask, push the shadows and pull the highlights is something we would have killed for back in the day.

I would love to do things a little better and explore the potential of better printers, profiling and papers and inks but ultimately I cannot justify it. It's not the only hobby I have, so I must compromise and experiment and am fully aware that it may fall over outside of the boundaries I've set myself. Still, as prices come down relatively, I'm able to justify things I wouldn't have in the past so perhaps a calibration tool and a decent printer may enter the house one day.
I am old, pedantic and a technical control freak. This sort of messing around with measuring and calibrating things is right up my alley.

Having said all that, I didn't realize the colormunki photo was so cheap now! I'm damn sure the last time I looked at that kind of stuff it was triple today's price......hmmmm.....
Well, the Colormunki Photo is not being manufactured any longer. The current version is i1Studio, X-Rite gave us old munki users the ability to use the i1Studio software. I started out using a Pantone Huey Pro, another X-Rite product, and finally bought the Colormunki Photo on sale for about half price. I never looked back, then again I am always looking to "twiddle" something.

04-02-2019, 01:35 AM   #17
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Well, the Colormunki Photo is not being manufactured any longer. The current version is i1Studio, X-Rite gave us old munki users the ability to use the i1Studio software. I started out using a Pantone Huey Pro, another X-Rite product, and finally bought the Colormunki Photo on sale for about half price. I never looked back, then again I am always looking to "twiddle" something.
Ahh, you're right. it did come up with a Google but it seems it isn't actually available to buy and the ones I saw were not all the Photo and the i1studio is considerably more. I'll continue guesstimating for now then. I'm reasonably happy with the results I get, especially if I print something which I've got old lab prints from and compare them. I suppose the test will come if I send something off for printing, which I might.
04-02-2019, 02:59 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once ordered different photographs on different papers from a professional printing service to decide which papers I‘ll choose in the future.

My decision: I very much like Crane Silver Museo Rag. My second choice is Hahnemühle Photo Rag. Both are great for Black & White and Color work. Unfortunately both are more on the expensive side. Which one I use / order depends on the photographs and mounting / framing.
06-29-2022, 02:04 AM   #19
Closed Account

Original Poster
I know, three years old but for completeness and because I don't want to start another thread and wanted to put this somewhere, I did eventually try out some of the papers mentioned in this thread and in the end I waited until I had profiling setup correctly throughout my workflow, as advised by PDL and that needed to wait until I'd upgraded my monitor and computer. You would expect to make such improvements over a three year period, I guess ;-)

There aren't many icc profiles for my printer, I could get some made but I'm not sure that this printer warrants that effort. Still, in the future I would probably use such a profiling service rather than buy my own coloromiter. I do have half an eye on a new A3 printer but I haven't decided where or if that fits in hobby spend yet or when. The new Epson 8550 looks very interesting though, for a home hobby printer.

My excel notes are below but essentially I've found the Epson papers work best with this printer and inks. I think I'll use semi-gloss or pearl the most, gloss for B&W and matt when the subject suits. I do like the matt surface a lot and I've got some ideas for shots that will suit it best.

It was an interesting exercise and I'm much more au fait with soft proofing, testing and corrections than I was 3 years ago and I feel a bit more able to select a paper based on the kind of shot I've taken, which was one of the aims (within the limitations of what the printer can do). I also have more of an idea about the kind of products professional labs offer and what to pick. I don't think I'll try any Baryta or fine art papers on this printer, some are available but it seems overkill and I'm not sure the printer will do them justice.

Last edited by 3by2; 03-18-2023 at 12:08 PM.