Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help with what can be achieved with Jpeg processing

Hi to all, this is my first thread at pentax so forgive my lack of knowledge. There was an international parade band competition in my home town today Limerick city Ireland the 49th year of its running, so I went down for a few shots . the weather was atrocious rain and raw cold so band performers were not exactly full of fun so hard to get complementary photos. As it turned out there was one or two shots where a few of the band members gave there all in the miserable conditions. this guy stood out they were an American marching band { forgive me I know not there name} and he performed like a pro . I only had a narrow field of view so forgive the composition.
As I've only gone digital dslr last month from being film only I would like anyone who could give me a few tips how to treat this jpeg cropping included. I will attach the image as it came out of the camera untouched . I'm aware of all the different types of photo editing tools I just don't have much experience so Id loves to see someones take on this photo for my way forward, thanks for reading. nb. I hope I picked a sharp en photo all criticism accepted.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it needs to be cropped. But it looks slightly underexposed to me. I went in to Microsoft Office Picture Manager (it is no longer included in Office) and boosted the midtone just a bit. That looked OK to me but it is a matter of taste.
03-18-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a bad photo at all to begin with. Your wide aperture means the subject is isolated from the fore and background so he stands out. You could possibly crop to isolate him even more but I quite like the fact he is framed by the two other brass players.

i cropped a little to increase the focus on him and increased the contrast in the picture as a whole while leaving the bright highlights on the two large brass instruments untouched (i used the mask feature in Photoshop to stop them becoming more overexposed)

I applied a little selective sharpening to the main subject too.

The differences are subtle, but i think it works.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Paul that shooting raw is the way to go... or RAW + JPEG if you want the best of both worlds and you're just learning about post-processing.

That aside...

I really like your photo, and exposure looks fine to me on my calibrated display

The composition suggests that the guy in the centre of the frame is your main subject, so I've taken that into account in my own re-processing of your image.

I've cropped slightly to balance the gaps between the brass instruments on the left and right of the photo and the edge of the frame. I've warmed up the colours a little and slightly increased saturation, contrast and local contrast to give the image some punch. I've also added minor sharpening.

The biggest adjustment I've made, though, is to add vignetting. This is very much a personal taste thing, and not to be over-used. However, since my interpretation is that the chap in the centre of the frame is the main subject, with all surrounding elements supporting that, I've used vignetting to reduce visual impact away from the frame centre and bring attention to the guy in the middle...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the photo is very good. The other option is to brighten the highlights and do sharpening, but then it is most definitely no longer a rainy day!

Specifically (and IMO):

1. It shouldn’t be cropped (you apparently have a good eye for composition). The background and foreground elements make clear where it is, and the verticals are not slanting, the central figure strongly placed between the two horns, with some margin to the edges, etc. And depth of field is limited as it should be. Well done.

2. the colors and exposure are somewhat brighter/higher key than I would expect with an overcast/rainy day, but are fine.

3. white balance also seems fine

Thus I would leave it as is for now. It being close to optimum.

And (when you are more experienced on digital post processing) you can revisit this one and possibly reduce the contrast and saturation. Vis-a-vis using raw capture I rather doubt that this image would be better if it was captured in raw. The exposure is perfect, and the entire dynamic range seems to be contained in the image. And if you were to tweak the white balance it would be a small change (if any).

Nevetheless, given you say you are new at processing digital (my guess is you are an old hand at slide film), I also suggest taking raw+jpeg (sd card and computer hard drive memory being plentiful and cheap today), and later when you are more advanced in processing you can revisit the images. If you don't use raw and get a potentially killer shot that has problems in exposure and/or white balance, you will likely wish you had a raw image to work on.

Last edited by dms; 03-18-2019 at 04:33 PM.
03-18-2019, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks PJ1 , underexposed was the name of the day it was 2 stops worse than that the day that was in it .
pschlute I should have bumped up the iso so I could have that fraction more DOP for the three brass pieces, that said I like that selective sharpening it really isolates .
Paul I see why you are the Sunman but hint taken or glow should I say.
BigMackCam I feel it about sums up the day but those subtle changes you made isolate the intended photo was hoping to achieve.
A big thank you to all ,a at least now I will be be able to have some comparable photo reference when I start to edit this image for learning purpose but next time I won't forget to press the raw button. goodnight all
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-18-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the best ways to learn is to experiment with your images. You might, for example, try a square crop to make the photo a duet between the boy and the girl. In this one, they were selected and brightened while the foreground and background was darkened, desaturated, and slightly more blurred to make the duo stand out:

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 03-18-2019 at 05:50 PM.
03-18-2019, 11:40 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Not a bad photo at all to begin with. Your wide aperture means the subject is isolated from the fore and background so he stands out. You could possibly crop to isolate him even more but I quite like the fact he is framed by the two other brass players.

i cropped a little to increase the focus on him and increased the contrast in the picture as a whole while leaving the bright highlights on the two large brass instruments untouched (i used the mask feature in Photoshop to stop them becoming more overexposed)

I applied a little selective sharpening to the main subject too.

The differences are subtle, but i think it works.
Bravo on your processing. But the crop was perfect!! Now the photo truly has a spot your eyes are drawn to. With your crop the center subject looks like he's doubled in size and is jumping out as the focus point
Regards
Photobill

03-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

Personally I find the two bright tubas distracting as they are fighting each other to be the point of interest so I went for a more radical crop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Personally I find the two bright tubas distracting as they are fighting each other to be the point of interest so I went for a more radical crop.
So did I - did you see post #8?

Philip
03-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
dms, just to say thank you, missed your post last night as I was logging out. Your observations about slide film being my first love are spot on. Kodachrome 64 being my staple diet and Kodachrome 25 being for that special lighting conditions ( you couldn't bump up the iso in those days once you had taken your first photos) and ektachrome 100 for that blue feeling !
I have not really customised the k70 yet but its custom setting I chose natural so maybe that's a reason for the higher key colours . I need a bit more time and the good thing is at least you don't have to spare the film but old habits die hard ha ha . MrB1 I like that desaturated background and blurring technique and should prove very useful in future attempts on certain captours. and that duet that you talk of I tried during the quick succession of shots but I don't think it worked I focused on the girl but the chemistry wasn't there another day maybe. Again thanks to everyone I have plenty to move forward with and I will shoot raw + jpeg and not get to hung up on the processing
03-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
So did I - did you see post #8?

Philip
Sorry, missed it as I didn't see a photo and I dislike clicking on links to remote sites.
03-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A belated but warm welcome to PF.
QuoteOriginally posted by Flanoman Quote
I have not really customised the k70 yet but its custom setting I chose natural so maybe that's a reason for the higher key colours
See this guide about different jpg settings: How do you optimize the finishing-touch settings for portraits? / Beautiful Photo-life | RICOH IMAGING

BTW, I like your work. To pick up your first DSLR and shoot like that shows a lot of film skills and experience.

FWIW I'm with those who wouldn't crop the first image and I agree that it needs very little processing. With the second one (City of Limerick Pipe Band) I would try a 16:9 crop to take out the distracting signs at the top and adjust the tone curve for a little more contrast.

One more suggestion. Try a few different RAW processing programs to see which you like, then make a choice and stick to it. It helps to get very familiar with one program. I use DxO PhotoLab and find it quite capable and user friendly, but we all have our own preferences.
03-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Des, Re : Limerick city pipe band was the photo I wanted to submit but not that particular photo I had others (I need to be better at managing files)