Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I use Darktable and Affinity Photo. Take a serious look at these. Darktable is free
And Affinity has a trial period then $50 to buy it.

03-20-2019, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Now that I have taken the FF plunge with my K-1 I realized that I haven't upgraded my PP software since 2015

Honestly, I do not find PP'ing enjoyable or intuitive. I've just never utilized Photoshop to its fullest as much of it seems counter-intuitive to me. I use LR a good bit but find it somewhat limiting. In looking at options I see a lot of positive comments on DxO Photolab.

My question is this - is DxO more intuitive than PS and is it powerful enough to help stretch my PP'ing skills without making me give up in frustration?
Hi,
I'm using DXO Photolab 2.2 and I love this software, it is easy to use and with excellent results, the PRIME noise reduction is great when used on shots from ISO 3200 and up. I also use Paintshop Pro 2019, it is as good as Photoshop and cost only a fraction and is easier to use.
03-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Has anyone tried Topaz Studio? It automatically incorporates all your Topaz plug-ins you may have already purchased and its free.
03-20-2019, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #19
PDL
Pentaxian

Affinity Photo is on sale for $39.99. Spring sale.
Welcome to the Affinity Store

03-21-2019, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Biggest negative to me about Lightroom now is the need to pay a monthly fee to use it. I still have the free standing version 6 and don't plan to move off it any time soon. Not sure if that would meet your needs, but B and H still has copies of Lightroom 6 available. Certainly it would be adequate for processing K-1 files.

I have used Raw Therapee which is nice and supports pixel shift with motion correction, but doesn't have the ability to do cloning or adjustment brushes. I haven't used some of the other software pieces mentioned in this thread.
03-21-2019, 03:33 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A vote for Lightroom. It just works.
03-21-2019, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #22

Photos: Albums
Personally, I tried darktable, Raw Therapee and a few others.
In the end I went back to Apples Aperture. Much better than “Photos” and it integrates well with my copy of CS4 (that I never felt the need to upgrade and wont now that its a subscription).
Due to a lack of PS on iOS I purchase Affinity Photo for the iPAD and I’m finding it to be a very good, to the point that I will switch to the desktop version should something happen to my CS4 install.

03-21-2019, 04:33 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks. I'm trying Darktable and Topaz's free offering right now. Like many here, the idea of paying forever isn't appealing to me at all. I have PS5 and LR5 but Adobe doesn't support them with updates for lenses, etc. At first use, I'm liking Topaz a lot.
03-21-2019, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I am a Darktable user and fan. There are a lot of tutorials for it on Youtube.
03-22-2019, 06:28 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone tried Topaz Studio? It automatically incorporates all your Topaz plug-ins you may have already purchased and its free.
I use Topaz Studio and several other plugins like DeNoise and Clarity. I like them. I typically start elsewhere and do my first level tweaking and then save out as a .tiff if I want to tweak more in Topaz. I don't typically start with my raw files in Topaz because I like the Pentax profiles available with other software as a starting point, and I haven't found such a thing with Studio.
03-23-2019, 03:00 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks folks. I'm trying Darktable and Topaz's free offering right now. Like many here, the idea of paying forever isn't appealing to me at all. I have PS5 and LR5 but Adobe doesn't support them with updates for lenses, etc. At first use, I'm liking Topaz a lot.
Lightroom 6 supports all Pentax lenses up to (but not including) the DA *11-18 and DFA *50. If you shoot DNG files, you can open them in Lightroom, even if the camera isn't supported as such. Hue Light offers new camera profiles and I purchased the one for the K-1 II and continue to use it without problem.

It sounds as if you have an answer, but I've been pretty happy with Lightroom 6...
03-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #27
Pentaxian

For lenses not supported by Lightroom, you can actually contribute to the project. You take some test shots of a suitable subject (such as a building with straight lines in it) at various apertures and focal lengths (for zoom lenses) and send them in. You can even process the shots yourself to generate the profile. Start here to find out more:

On Lens Detection and Correction | darktable

You can also help out with camera profiles:

camera*support | darktable
03-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #28
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It sounds as if you have an answer, but I've been pretty happy with Lightroom 6...
I was thinking that LR 6.14 would be my go to software when on vacation. Then Google broke maps, the one thing that Capture One and Affinity Photo do not "do". For once it is not something that Adobe didn't do.

(Google broke the geotag function in ExifTool GUI and GeoSetter also. And I discovered yesterday that I can not download off-line Google Maps for use on my Android phone by state - or country as I did in Europe. I was able to down load maps by state and country on my Windows Phone by default so I could use GPS to see where I was rather than having to purchase a new SIM to get on-line. I really miss my Windows Phone)
03-24-2019, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

As for all the Pros on this thread I feel a little left out as a rank amateur, I am still trying to take a good photo and figure out what my camera can do (k-70).

I have been using PhotoDirector since version 5 with a small Samsung NV40 and am now using Cyberlink PhotoDirector v10

Not only do I like it's simplicity but the fact I don't have a monthly fee to use it, the newer versions do have a subscription option.

I also have the PP that came with the camera (down sized SilkyPix) as well as Paint Shop, Aftershot but find myself going back to PhotoDirector time after time for the ease of use!

I have included a couple of screen shots for a quick look at a couple of features.
https://www.pcmag.com/review/268050/cyberlink-photodirector
Attached Images

Last edited by SharkyCA; 03-24-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: add a link and update message.
03-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Intuitive is such a subjective term and really depends on your experience and thought process.

LR was about as intuitive as I ever saw, but I've never had a huge problem learning any software if I set my focus on it. As I moved away from LR, I tried and eventually went to DxO. It was mostly intuitive, mostly because I could get to an end point with fewer steps and adjustments than I had to in LR. It allowed me to learn what I needed to patiently, and now I find it intuitive. But, other software are likely more intuitive and going with intuitiveness is just plain performance. LR did not perform very well for me, and poor performance can be such a negative.