Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,439
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
This has been a very informative thread; much appreciated. Interestingly, it has given me a new appreciation of DCU5 now that I understand more about extracting vs save as, etc. I'm going to be using it as a first review/cull of my raw files (KP) because it allows me to leverage the power of custom images as a starting point, easily changing selections after the fact. IOW, I shoot "Bright" by default, and with DCU5, I can easily change to another custom image selection if needed. It's like working with in camera processing from the comfort of my laptop.
FastStone will show the Jpg Preview that will have whatever your camera settings had at the time. For example, if I am shooting RAW but I have 'Portrait' as my Custom Image mode, then that is what FastStone will display in review, only once you take the RAW off to LR or whatever will you 'lose' that.

My experience with DCU is pretty bad, slow and buggy (I closed panels down with the 'x' and couldn't get them back ).
You should try Fast Stone, I just culled in 20mins 1000 images down to 250, no importing and waiting, just SD card in the PC, click first image in Windows Explorer, opens FS super fast and off we go tagging the files we want to keep (or delete, up to you).

04-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #62
Pentaxian
rogerstg's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 392
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
FastStone will show the Jpg Preview that will have whatever your camera settings had at the time
True, but there is no option that I can see to change custom image after the fact. I do most further processing with ACDSee, but often like the start from initial camera/DCU5 processing: often it's enough for casual family activities. My needs are pretty basic, tweaking light levels, colors, etc. I'm also not trying to sell anyone on ACDSee, I'm just used to it.

FastStone seems interesting and I especially like the default full screen view with menus appearing when hovering at the margins. I'm not sure I'll go further with it, though remain appreciative for what I've learned in this thread.
04-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,439
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
True, but there is no option that I can see to change custom image after the fact. I do most further processing with ACDSee, but often like the start from initial camera/DCU5 processing: often it's enough for casual family activities. My needs are pretty basic, tweaking light levels, colors, etc. I'm also not trying to sell anyone on ACDSee, I'm just used to it.

FastStone seems interesting and I especially like the default full screen view with menus appearing when hovering at the margins. I'm not sure I'll go further with it, though remain appreciative for what I've learned in this thread.
Yeah I use LR and the Camera Profiles (Portrait, Landscape, Bright etc) if I want to turn my RAW towards looking like it was in camera at the time (at least I think that's what that part in LR does).
04-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,891
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeah I use LR and the Camera Profiles (Portrait, Landscape, Bright etc) if I want to turn my RAW towards looking like it was in camera at the time (at least I think that's what that part in LR does).
That is exactly what it does. But i have to say if you want your images to look exactly like the in-camera profiles, why are you bothering to shoot raw ?

04-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,439
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That is exactly what it does. But i have to say if you want your images to look exactly like the in-camera profiles, why are you bothering to shoot raw ?
Because I am at that place where I'm not sure I will stay RAW or toggle over to Jpg. Currently I use the RAW button on my K-1 and toggle between RAW and Jpg (writing to both SD cards). But there are times I hit the buffer in RAW and thus try and predict this and toggle out and into Jpg (such as during the wedding last week, AF.C bursting for flower girl, and then after her maid of honour, and then father and bride etc.

I'm getting my settings working so well in camera these days I'm starting to question just how much breathing space I need for editing, I mean it's not like you can't edit a Jpg!

Take for example this SOOC (not a complete SOOC, I mean I used the in camera raw development of the RAW file and added vignette from the Digital Filter, but really this is a SOOC, no LR or post processing on a computer whatsoever);



And now an edit of the same shot from the RAW file in LR;



Not that much better, if at all! And I think I could have easily driven the Jpg to look like this if I tried.

But the point is, I knew when I took the shot RAW from judging the back of the LCD screen at the time I had a nice shot, sometimes I don't want to spend time taking the RAW file off to LR and process it etc, just to make it look like it did at the time. But I can't shoot RAW+ it's just too slow for what I do. So it's nice to know you can get what you would have seen at the time on the back of the camera from a RAW file one way or another.

I really hope to move to a Jpg only kinda shooter (at least 90% of the time, there will always be the need for RAW such as landscapes etc), because by going Jpg i will reap a heap of benefits.

I have another event tomorrow (paid) which I will chicken out of shooting Jpg in and will stick to RAW, but after tomorrow I think I will force myself to go Jpg for awhile and see just how much I am punished for making that decision...
04-25-2019, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,891
I would suggest that as long as you get your WB setting correct at the get-go, and get your exposure correct, you would be fine. You take excellent pictures so I reckon you would be ok with a pinhole camera to be honest

Having said all that I use raw exclusively and have developed a workflow that works very well and quickly for me. Having a fast computer (with SSD) helps.
04-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
Posts: 3,439
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I would suggest that as long as you get your WB setting correct at the get-go, and get your exposure correct, you would be fine. You take excellent pictures so I reckon you would be ok with a pinhole camera to be honest

Having said all that I use raw exclusively and have developed a workflow that works very well and quickly for me. Having a fast computer (with SSD) helps.
Thank you for the kind words Of course here you all mostly see my good stuff, I can still take my fair share of duds!

I dunno... there's just a certain attraction to shooting Jpg, never really worry about buffer any more, small file sizes, even LR loads and edits them quicker on my machine and a bit of WYSIWYG is kinda comforting to know at the time whether you're managing things properly. In the past I used to gasp at the image I caught back of the screen and mutter to myself "Ach... it's ok.. I'll sort that in post"
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, crop, dng, faststone, file, files, folder, fs, image, images, jpg, jpgs, mode, pdcu, photography, photoshop, quality, res, shot, size
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-70 "This image cannot be displayed" when DNG converted to JPG in Photoshop CS5 Wolfeye Pentax K-70 3 12-08-2016 02:40 PM
Pixel Shift single image extraction from RAW using Fast Stone Image Viewer rgknief60 Pentax K-1 3 08-18-2016 02:37 PM
K-S2 JPG's versus K5ll JPG'S and K50 JPG's LoneWolf Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 03-28-2015 12:58 PM
Display both RAW/DNG and the JPG DavidSKAF3 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 02-04-2015 02:34 AM
Problem comparing images in FastStone Image Viewer altopiet Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 10-18-2012 11:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top