Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2019, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Darktable has auto perspective adjustment

I found that darktable has automatic perspective correction tool.
It it was not included by default into available tools, but was hidden under <more modules> dialog.
Here a few examples: (uncropped, resized). Originals was taken with Pentax KP and DA15Ltd

IMGP0253.JPG - Google Drive
IMGP0253_corrected.jpg - Google Drive

IMGP0261.JPG - Google Drive
IMGP0261_corrected.jpg - Google Drive

IMGP0267.JPG - Google Drive
IMGP0267_corrected.jpg - Google Drive

IMGP0268.JPG - Google Drive
IMGP0268_corrected.jpg - Google Drive

03-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VadikToronto Quote
I found that darktable has automatic perspective correction tool....
Thanks, I hadn't been aware of this. I only recently gave up on the now unsupported(?) UFRaw converter and have started to learn my way around Darktable, on Linux.
03-22-2019, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Thanks, I hadn't been aware of this. I only recently gave up on the now unsupported(?) UFRaw converter and have started to learn my way around Darktable, on Linux.
Long-term user of Ufraw on Linux here. Just FYI, Ufraw was forked and the nUfraw project is still very much alive here nufraw download | SourceForge.net but I too moved to Darktable (and RawTherapee) quite some time ago (about 2 years ago). Have fun with these amazing bits of software!
03-22-2019, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good reminder to always shoot wider than you think you need if you will be doing perspective corrections.

03-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a Linux compatible panoramic stitcher that could work with these corrected images?
03-23-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Is there a Linux compatible panoramic stitcher that could work with these corrected images?
Hugin should do fine
03-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I will try stitch panorama in Hugin and then adjust in darktable.

03-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Hugin should do fine
Thanks!
03-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VadikToronto Quote
not much improvement...
Why would you even want to do that, use auto perspective adjustment on a panorama with that much deformation? I don't think that's what the module was intended for to begin with.
03-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Why would you even want to do that, use auto perspective adjustment on a panorama with that much deformation? I don't think that's what the module was intended for to begin with.
I won't answer for others, but my original question was about using auto perspective on individual sub-panorama shots (thereby leading to a set with the keystone result), and then combining these in a panorama. Presumably the perspective-corrected images could be cropped rectangular and then combined as a panorama; I was wondering whether keystone like images would work in panorama software (and in particular Linux compatible panorama software).
03-26-2019, 06:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't answer for others, but my original question was about using auto perspective on individual sub-panorama shots (thereby leading to a set with the keystone result), and then combining these in a panorama. Presumably the perspective-corrected images could be cropped rectangular and then combined as a panorama; I was wondering whether keystone like images would work in panorama software (and in particular Linux compatible panorama software).
Ah, OK, thanks. That makes sense. I was just wondering that's all.
03-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my original question was about using auto perspective on individual sub-panorama shots (thereby leading to a set with the keystone result), and then combining these in a panorama.
I'm still wondering why you would want to do this at this stage (assuming, btw., you'd be able to correctly declare what you did to Hugin)? Hugin reprojects the images to your target geometry anyway, by doing it twice, you'd likely lose detail for no obvious benefit. Adjusting the projection (especially the horizon) in Hugin, you can do this in a single step.
03-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The question with regard to using auto perspective is how is the software doing it. Is it taking into account metadata and lens so that an image with a specific lens is adjusted the same way?

I generally do not adjust individual pieces of a panorama for perspective. Hugin does a good job on its own at doing that for me. I would think that if you go the route of adjusting the perspective before going to your software, then you should tell your panorama software not to try and make its own adjustments. That will just depend on how smart your software is at each step of the way.
03-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
The question with regard to using auto perspective is how is the software doing it. Is it taking into account metadata and lens so that an image with a specific lens is adjusted the same way?

I generally do not adjust individual pieces of a panorama for perspective. Hugin does a good job on its own at doing that for me. I would think that if you go the route of adjusting the perspective before going to your software, then you should tell your panorama software not to try and make its own adjustments. That will just depend on how smart your software is at each step of the way.
OK, I wasn't aware that any perspective adjustments were made by stitcher software. I thought that the software decided on a boundary common to two images and joined the pixel arrays together. I guess that would require at least some spatial adjustment as any two pairs of points on two images might not have exactly the same spacing.

As one might guess, I've never done this, but look forward to trying it in the future.