Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Please note the GPS section of Lightroom 6 no longer functions. FYI.
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Google is the culprit here, not Adobe. Google broke any map program using Google Maps that is not paying Google a monthly fee based on data. ExifTool GUI, GeoSetter, LR 6.14 and other applications have all stopped working.

I wish there was a simple way to substitute Bing Maps, at least Microsoft is not charging to use embedded map applications ---- yet.
You can use your own API key with a little bit of work on LR 6.14. As I understand it, it's free up to 28000 map loads or 40000 calls to the Geo Coding API, but you have to give your billing information to Google in case you exceed this. You can set quotas (or budget emails) to prevent actual charges.

I haven't personally tested it out because my photos aren't geotagged, but I'm looking to combine that with this neat work that geotags photos with google location history, now that I know it's possible to replace the API key.

Last edited by Eruditass; 03-25-2019 at 10:57 AM.
03-25-2019, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
You can use your own API key with a little bit of work on LR 6.14. As I understand it, it's free up to 28000 map loads or 40000 calls to the Geo Coding API, but you have to give your billing information to Google in case you exceed this. You can set quotas (or budget emails) to prevent actual charges.

I haven't personally tested it out because my photos aren't geotagged, but I'm looking to combine that with this neat work that geotags photos with google location history, now that I know it's possible to replace the API key.
I am not in the mood to hack LR or to let Google have any of my financial information (and I just moved to a Android phone). I have deliberately turned off as much Google tracking as I can. I purchased my K-3II because it has built in GPS and as far as I know (no FluCard) Hoya/Ricoh/Pentax is not tracking me. That said, my library of images from my last two vacations is north of 8K images, so if I load up my vacation images, I use LR as my "in the field" photo processor, I can get pretty close to their limit on my own. Luckily I mostly use Capture One, but Capture One does not have a "Maps" function.

I have not checked LR since Google killed the functionality I want so I can not tell if the City, State, Country information is not being made available in the Library/metadata section. I have the feeling that Google has killed that off too.
03-26-2019, 02:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The funny thing is I shoot mostly film at this point, and most of my shots are geotagged. I've been geotagging since 2005 or so on digital. First using a GPS tracks and software to match location ant time. Then in ~2008 I bought the first consumer camera with a built in GPS--and Nikon P6000. Around 4 years ago I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR, GPS was high on the list which let me to the K-3ii. Otherwise I wasn't particularly familiar with Pentax's digital offerings. (you can say that GPS is why I bought into Pentax.) When I started shooting film again a little over a year ago, I really wanted some of the benefits of EXIF and GPS. So I have an iPhone app that lets me manage rolls, mark shots with body, lens, aperture, shutter, focal length. I use it for about 95% of my rolls. The software then tags the data into the scans and in Aperture (and now LR) I have full access to maps with my full location info.