Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 721
Lightroom Price doubled?

Ok, my brain is getting screwed over by Adobe. Last week I demo'd Lightroom and saw an awful, simplistic application. People here had to point out that that was the new "Lightroom CC" and that I wanted "Lightroom Classic CC", ok much better. I tried it out, played for a few days, and decided I could swallow $10 a month.

So when I went to Adobe today to subscribe, the only option that includes Lightroom Classic is not $19.99 per month. I looked and looked, and I can't find the old plan. The best I can tell is they jacked the (useless) cloud storage from 20gb to 1tb, and the price by 2x.

Am I losing my mind or does adobe have it in for me? I assume everyone that is grandfathered in isn't being hit with a price hike?

03-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,209
They have different plans, this link still shows 3 photography ones including the one I think you want,

Photography plan
Includes Lightroom CC, 20GB of cloud storage, Lightroom Classic CC, and Photoshop CC.
US$9.99/mo.

Buy Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC | Photo editing and organizing software
03-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,255
There is a $9.99 plan that is LR only with 1TB cloud storage, a $9.99 "photography" plan with LR & PS & LRCC with only 20GB storage (this is the one you want), and then a $19.99 plan which is the same as the previous except with 1TB of storage again. So if you don't care about having a lot of cloud storage (you don't need to use any at all with LRCC), then the middle plan is what you want, and it also includes photoshop and some other things (like Bridge and a couple other apps, free fonts, etc)


Compare plans | Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan
03-24-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,480
Start here:

Buy Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC | Desktop photography software

They are offering something called "Photography Plan" at $9.99/mo that includes:
  • Lightroom CC
  • Lightroom Classic CC
  • Photoshop CC
  • Other tools
  • 20 GB cloud storage

Alternatively, you can buy Lightroom 6 for $149 from B&H with the understanding that its latest update will be the last.

Enjoy!


Steve

03-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 721
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
They have different plans, this link still shows 3 photography ones including the one I think you want,

Photography plan
Includes Lightroom CC, 20GB of cloud storage, Lightroom Classic CC, and Photoshop CC.
US$9.99/mo.

Buy Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC | Photo editing and organizing software
Thanks for that link! When I went there from google, the exact same link, there no 20gb plan. I swear I've been looking for the past two or three hours. Either Adobe backtracked and added the $10 plan, or they were f'ing with me.

The other link posted only list the $20 plan for classic or the $10 plan for the cloud version.
03-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #6
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,707
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Alternatively, you can buy Lightroom 6 for $149 from B&H with the understanding that its latest update will be the last.

Enjoy!
Please note the GPS section of Lightroom 6 no longer functions. FYI.
03-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,255
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Thanks for that link! When I went there from google, the exact same link, there no 20gb plan. I swear I've been looking for the past two or three hours. Either Adobe backtracked and added the $10 plan, or they were f'ing with me.

The other link posted only list the $20 plan for classic or the $10 plan for the cloud version.
Very strange. I get different versions of the page depending on which browser I use. But the 20 GB plan exists, I have it.
03-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 721
Original Poster
man that is annoying. Chrome and Safari (my main browser) do not offer the $10 plan. Firefox does (here.)

03-24-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,480
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Please note the GPS section of Lightroom 6 no longer functions. FYI.
Yes, that is true. In August 2018, Adobe announced that the LR 6 Map module would not be supported after Nov 28, 2018. Apparently, this was due to failure of the contract with Google for its map service. Do the CC versions of LR support the Map module?


Steve

(...never something I was interested in using and only vaguely aware of its existence...)
03-24-2019, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,480
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
man that is annoying. Chrome and Safari (my main browser) do not offer the $10 plan. Firefox does (here.)
Use a private window. Tracking cooking are working against you.


Steve
03-24-2019, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
PDL
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,537
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, that is true. In August 2018, Adobe announced that the LR 6 Map module would not be supported after Nov 28, 2018. Apparently, this was due to failure of the contract with Google for its map service. Do the CC versions of LR support the Map module?


Steve

(...never something I was interested in using and only vaguely aware of its existence...)
Google is the culprit here, not Adobe. Google broke any map program using Google Maps that is not paying Google a monthly fee based on data. ExifTool GUI, GeoSetter, LR 6.14 and other applications have all stopped working.

I wish there was a simple way to substitute Bing Maps, at least Microsoft is not charging to use embedded map applications ---- yet.
03-25-2019, 01:13 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,585
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Google broke any map program using Google Maps that is not paying Google a monthly fee based on data.
This even forced the very handy, non-profit Lightning Map web site used by a lot of emergency and other helpful services to move away from Google Maps. Amazing how an almost $1 trillion company can be so unfriendly towards such projects, and other free or open source services and software.
03-25-2019, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,060
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This even forced the very handy, non-profit Lightning Map web site used by a lot of emergency and other helpful services to move away from Google Maps. Amazing how an almost $1 trillion company can be so unfriendly towards such projects, and other free or open source services and software.
Not amazing at all. Remember "Don't be evil"? Well, nevermind.
03-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forestville, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,719
The unsupported Map module still works fine (or better?) for tasks like loading gps tracklogs to add gps data to photos.

When I go to "Maps" in Lightroom Classic CC I get a popup that tells me Maps is no longer supported on this version of lightroom, have to upgrade to 8.0, etc. I click "OK" and go about my business loading a tracklog and syncing the gps coordinates into the photo EXIF. This is great! Because the Map is offline, it doesn't freeze up my feeble computer loading the full map functions that I don't want to use anyways! I'm just there to sync the gps data and as far as I'm concerned all the rest of the features in "Maps" are just bloat. Ideally, you shouldn't even have to go into the maps module to just sync a tracklog to a set of photos, but whatever.
03-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,255
Maps work in the LR CC/Classic, yes, but not in the older LR 5 & 6. That's one of the reasons I finally signed up for the CC plan. By the way, there is a way to hack it in LR 6 so that the maps will work with your own API key (google gives you $200 worth of map lookups a month so it is free for most people's light usage). I couldn't get the hack to work with LR5 though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adobe, lightroom, lightroom price, month, photography, photoshop, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Durdle Door, doubled The Madshutter Post Your Photos! 10 09-01-2018 01:05 AM
Lightroom CC vs Lightroom Classic CC... Help? roberts_camera Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 12 08-16-2018 03:01 AM
To Lightroom or Not To Lightroom, that is the question... microlight Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 19 07-25-2017 01:44 PM
Lightroom Lightroom CC 2015.4 / 6.4 supports more Pentax-mount lenses johnhilvert Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 7 01-31-2016 04:15 AM
My first star trail shot came out doubled? RollsUp Photographic Technique 25 11-25-2009 08:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top