Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #1

DCU5 in Linux

it works! takes a bit of a kludge though. At least in Fedora 29.
Have to use winetricks to install .NET 472 and WMP10, mount the install folder in winecfg and label it with the correct label (am I allowed to say what it is? google it if not), and then install the 32bit version and everything works. Just slow, but it's slow under Windows, so I guess no big difference.

03-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #2

What wine version?
03-25-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic!!! I tried to operate it under Crossover Linux in Mint and the program would start and then hang.

I can't imagine what kind of "correct label" you think you aren't allowed to say (Nikon, Cannon, Kodak, Hoya, Silkypix?) I haven't heard of Pentax using English vulgarities so I guess they are not in contention. I am, in fact, unclear what label the install folder would have. Is this the bottle name?

As a user of the Wine derived Crossover, I am unsure how to translate the details of your experience to the details of a Crossover installation, but I think both Wine and Crossover install methods are important to fully work out. Detailed step-by-step directions for at least Wine would be helpful. If necessary, I believe I could get Codeweaver's support to clarify variations in terminology between programs.
03-25-2019, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Fantastic!!! I tried to operate it under Crossover Linux in Mint and the program would start and then hang.

I can't imagine what kind of "correct label" you think you aren't allowed to say (Nikon, Cannon, Kodak, Hoya, Silkypix?) I haven't heard of Pentax using English vulgarities so I guess they are not in contention. I am, in fact, unclear what label the install folder would have. Is this the bottle name?

As a user of the Wine derived Crossover, I am unsure how to translate the details of your experience to the details of a Crossover installation, but I think both Wine and Crossover install methods are important to fully work out. Detailed step-by-step directions for at least Wine would be helpful. If necessary, I believe I could get Codeweaver's support to clarify variations in terminology between programs.
the label is to trick the installer into thinking you have the CD, because WINE does not read the CD Label properly apparently.

I tried to post the instructions, but the forum software keeps bugging out on me, probably because it's picking up linux commands and thinking I'm doing something bad. or something. I don't know, the firewall locked me about a few times. I guess the forum doesn't want me to share. Oh well.

03-25-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #5

Worked on Ubuntu Bionic, using the latest winetricks from Winetricks - WineHQ Wiki (it's just a shell script)

Also had to set the Windows Version in winecfg, after .net install

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winecfg
03-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I assume this is Wine [NOT] emulating 32-bit Windows within 64-bit Ubuntu. K1N8, which version of Windows were you running in Wine?

Has this been tested with high resolution PEF files? I would worry that 32-bit Windows might not be able to handle large data sets. Maybe only a few photos at a time. I've long forgotten what the real 32-bit limitations are (relative to just calculating 2^32), having dropped Win2k when support ended and moved to Ubuntu at that time.

I actually have the CD.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2019 at 23:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by keos Quote
the label is to trick the installer into thinking you have the CD, because WINE does not read the CD Label properly apparently.

I tried to post the instructions, but the forum software keeps bugging out on me, probably because it's picking up linux commands and thinking I'm doing something bad. or something. I don't know, the firewall locked me about a few times. I guess the forum doesn't want me to share. Oh well.
I think you might have to put them within a code block, viz., the #-denoted icon in the lower editor option collection.
03-25-2019, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Thanks. I assume this is Wine [NOT] emulating 32-bit Windows within 64-bit Ubuntu. K1N8, which version of Windows were you running in Wine?

Has this been tested with high resolution PEF files? I would worry that 32-bit Windows might not be able to handle large data sets. Maybe only a few photos at a time. I've long forgotten what the real 32-bit limitations are (relative to just calculating 2^32), having dropped Win2k when support ended and moved to Ubuntu at that time.

I actually have the CD.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2019 at 23:49 ----------

I think you might have to put them within a code block, viz., the #-denoted icon in the lower editor option collection.
it didn't like the cat command I was using to show the redhat-release file. I don't know why

full details (I use playonlinux here to keep it within a gui, the command instructions is what K1N8 says, to use the WINEPREFIX env):
Code:
uname -a
QuoteQuote:
Code:
Linux 1701d 5.0.3-200.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 19 15:07:58 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
install wine

Code:
sudo dnf install wine.i686 wine.x86_64 winetricks playonlinux
this is the version installed

Code:
wine --version
QuoteQuote:
Code:
wine-4.4 (Staging)
run winetricks once so it sets up the winetricks directory structure in your home directory
in a terminal type
Code:
winetricks
and then close the window once it pops up.

in playonlinux create a new 32-bit installation directory, I call it DCU but call it whatever you want.

in a terminal, we want to create a softlink between the playonlinux wineprefix and winetricks

Code:
ln -s ~/PlayOnLinux\'s\ virtual\ drives/DCU ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/DCU
now run winetricks again, so in a terminal type
Code:
winetricks
when the window pops up, select DCU, then select windows components, and install DotNET 4.72 and wmp10
it will take a while and have a few prompts.

now download DCU5 from Pentax website, and unzip to a folder; I used ~/Downloads/DCU5

once that is done, go back to playonlinux and click configure for your DCU install prefix, and go to the wine tab and choose winecfg

in winecfg, go to the Drives tab and add a new drive, like E: and in path put in where you extracted the install files for DCU5; click show advanced and under Label put in the label that makes the installer think you have the original CD (mods please edit to add in label if ok to provide)
change the Type to Local hard disk and click OK

Back in playonlinux, go back to the configure window (it should still be open so look for the window in your task list, or reopen by clicking configure) and go to the Miscellaneous tab and choose "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive" and select updater32.exe from your extracted DCU folder. It should install without a hitch.

Go back to playonlinux and in the configure window for DCU in the general tab (first tab) click on "Make a New Shortcut from this virtual drive" and it will search and find Digital Camera Utility. Click on it and click ok, then cancel when it prompts you again. Now it should show up in playonlinux. Simply click run and you should be up and running.

edit: it works with 500 K1 PEFs in a single folder. I haven't tried more, but probably would be smart to keep it under 1000. See screenshots, made some adjustments, everything was working fine, if a bit slower.

Attached Images

Last edited by keos; 03-25-2019 at 10:15 PM.
03-26-2019, 06:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a winner!!!

I won't try to quote that most excellent description, but if I could give multiple "likes" I would.

On another thread today, we have
Originally posted by wanderer2 I do have Win 10 but that didn't work. I clicked on ok and tried to proceed but got a message that the installation had been interrupted and to try again. Tried again but same result. But thanks for trying to help.
You're right, that trick doesn't work with this version of the installer. Try attaching a removable drive like a USB drive, memory stick/card and renaming the drive to S-SW140, S-SW150, S-SW151, S-SW156, S-SW160 or S-SW162. That should still work.
Read more at: Can't Download DCU 5 - PentaxForums.com
which I hope answers the labeling question. (Hope because I never noticed this labeling. )

I"m going to investigate translating these steps to Crossover Linux first, and if that doesn't work, see whether Wine can live in the same build as Crossover to follow your directions more explicitly. This may take a while due to other commitments.

kas
03-26-2019, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
We have a winner!!!

I won't try to quote that most excellent description, but if I could give multiple "likes" I would.

On another thread today, we have
Originally posted by wanderer2 I do have Win 10 but that didn't work. I clicked on ok and tried to proceed but got a message that the installation had been interrupted and to try again. Tried again but same result. But thanks for trying to help.
You're right, that trick doesn't work with this version of the installer. Try attaching a removable drive like a USB drive, memory stick/card and renaming the drive to S-SW140, S-SW150, S-SW151, S-SW156, S-SW160 or S-SW162. That should still work.
Read more at: Can't Download DCU 5 - PentaxForums.com
which I hope answers the labeling question. (Hope because I never noticed this labeling. )

I"m going to investigate translating these steps to Crossover Linux first, and if that doesn't work, see whether Wine can live in the same build as Crossover to follow your directions more explicitly. This may take a while due to other commitments.

kas
if it doesn't work with crossover, playonlinux will allow you to download its own version of wine that is self contained in the user's home directory as well. another reason I use it, since Canon DPP breaks after wine 3.5
03-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

if it doesn't work with crossover, playonlinux will allow you to download its own version of wine that is self contained in the user's home directory as well. another reason I use it, since Canon DPP breaks after wine 3.5
Thank you for that hint; I wasn't familiar with PlayonLinux.
03-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update

My question (rather prolix) to Codeweavers about a Crossover installation method paralleling the PlayonLinux approach documented above seems to have gone to the great bit bucket in the sky. When I get time I'll have to try a different approach than responding to an older ticket on a related issue. Stay tuned but please do not bate your breaths.

Edit: I am unable to even find proof that the message was sent. I'll try again.

Last edited by kaseki; 04-02-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: New info
04-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Success! In this case with Crossover Linux running on Linux Mint MATE 18.3 64-bit. Codeweavers Support provided a few clues that made it possible after they reviewed the PlayonLInux directions above. Here are the steps for anyone using Crossover.
  1. Create a bottle based on Windows 10 (32 bit, not 64 bit)
  2. Install .NET Framework 4.6.2 into the bottle (this will install a lot of stuff)
  3. Install Windows Media Player 10 into the bottle (Crossover will whine that it wants to install it into an XP bottle, but by reordering the executable program selection and bottle selection it can be forced)
  4. Install DCU5 into the bottle. (I did this pointing to the installer on the 5.1.0 CD, but I don't know if that is the only approach that will work.)
  5. Install an upgrade version into the bottle, if desired. Be sure to use a 32-bit version. Crossover will treat it as an upgrade. My copy was stored on a hard drive. I think the CD was still in the player, so I don't know if its presence was necessary or not.**
  6. Open a PEF photo file and see if it looks as expected. (Where I had the PEF photo for testing there was also a TIFF version I had made from the PEF using Raw Therepee. Unlike every other photo viewer I have, DCU5 presented the TIFF version as having no green, even though the histogram for green showed that green was obviously there.)
  7. If suitable Menu and/or Desktop launchers are not constructed (because in haste the relevant button was not exercised), these can be restored after the fact by right clicking on the DCU5 program in the Crossover menu and selecting "Run with options" which allows ex post facto generation of launchers. Some icon scavenging may be needed.
Not having any practice on DCU5, I cannot at this writing confirm that it does more than read and display PEF images, show the EXIF information, and show the R, G, B, L histograms.

Thanks for the clues in this thread.

kas

Edit: A further successful upgrade to 5.8.3 on 19 Apr 2019 was performed from the hard drive without a CD in the player.

Last edited by kaseki; 04-20-2019 at 10:41 AM.
04-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
Success! In this case with Crossover Linux running on Linux Mint MATE 18.3 64-bit. Codeweavers Support provided a few clues that made it possible after they reviewed the PlayonLInux directions above. Here are the steps for anyone using Crossover.
  1. Create a bottle based on Windows 10 (32 bit, not 64 bit)
  2. Install .NET Framework 4.6.2 into the bottle (this will install a lot of stuff)
  3. Install Windows Media Player 10 into the bottle (Crossover will whine that it wants to install it into an XP bottle, but by reordering the executable program selection and bottle selection it can be forced)
  4. Install DCU5 into the bottle. (I did this pointing to the installer on the 5.1.0 CD, but I don't know if that is the only approach that will work.)
  5. Install an upgrade version into the bottle, if desired. Be sure to use a 32-bit version. Crossover will treat it as an upgrade. My copy was stored on a hard drive. I think the CD was still in the player, so I don't know if its presence was necessary or not.
  6. Open a PEF photo file and see if it looks as expected. (Where I had the PEF photo for testing there was also a TIFF version I had made from the PEF using Raw Therepee. Unlike every other photo viewer I have, DCU5 presented the TIFF version as having no green, even though the histogram for green showed that green was obviously there.)
  7. If suitable Menu and/or Desktop launchers are not constructed (because in haste the relevant button was not exercised), these can be restored after the fact by right clicking on the DCU5 program in the Crossover menu and selecting "Run with options" which allows ex post facto generation of launchers. Some icon scavenging may be needed.
Not having any practice on DCU5, I cannot at this writing confirm that it does more than read and display PEF images, show the EXIF information, and show the R, G, B, L histograms.

Thanks for the clues in this thread.

kas
try to edit a photo. it crashed for me until I figured out the faulting module was wmp.dll and that's why I figured installing wmp would solve it, and it did. So if that works the rest of the program should work, within reason.
04-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

try to edit a photo. it crashed for me until I figured out the faulting module was wmp.dll and that's why I figured installing wmp would solve it, and it did. So if that works the rest of the program should work, within reason.

Thanks for the suggestion. The results are positive.

Not having any experience with DCU5, all I could do is experimentally adjust various settings on a PEF test photo and observe (usually) some change in the presented image. There were small rendering delays (this is an older PC), but otherwise no crashes. I still have to take time to read the directions.

One thing I want to test is plugging the 'Z's SD card directly into my BenQ monitor (which has a card reader) and see if DCU5 can see it (within Crossover) and open it. TBD