Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It sounds like you installed the program onto the SD card instead of onto your computer. IIRC, the download results in a zip file. That zip file has to be extracted. I extracted file updater64.exe into a directory onto my hard drive. Then I copied that file to my thumb drive named as above (may not be a necessary step). Once I double clicked on updater64.exe, I specified it be installed onto my C: drive. The program automatically installed a shortcut onto the desktop.
It's my impression that first installing DCU 5 onto an SD card or an external drive is the suggested way (by several posters) to get around not being able to download and install the program if there isn't an older version of DCU in a computer. So that's what I tried to do and yes, it appears that the program is downloaded to my SD card but I still cannot extract it and move it to my C drive. I think the method you describe above is beyond my feeble computer abilities (I don't know the command(s) to extract a file). If only I had a disc containing one of the earlier DCU versions I think I could install that in the usual way and then download DCU 5, but alas, I don't.

03-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
(I don't know the command(s) to extract a file)
You don't need to know anything but how to google That's how I get by :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14200/windows-compress-uncompress-zip-files

---------- Post added 03-30-19 at 02:29 PM ----------

If I were you, I'd delete your current installation and start over.
03-31-2019, 07:33 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, I just installed DCU5 onto my wife's Windows 10 laptop. It was simple:

1. Inserted and renamed an sd card S-SW140 (did nothing else with that card, just left it in the slot)
2. downloaded the zip file from the website: Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
3. clicked the downloaded zip file which opened to a directory with two files
4. double clicked on updater64.exe. It prompted me to Extract All, Run or Cancel. I selected Run and it installed

There was no need to extract files or put them anywhere special
03-31-2019, 08:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FWIW, I just installed DCU5 onto my wife's Windows 10 laptop. It was simple:

1. Inserted and renamed an sd card S-SW140 (did nothing else with that card, just left it in the slot)
2. downloaded the zip file from the website: Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
3. clicked the downloaded zip file which opened to a directory with two files
4. double clicked on updater64.exe. It prompted me to Extract All, Run or Cancel. I selected Run and it installed

There was no need to extract files or put them anywhere special
Are you certain it downloaded to your C drive or just to the SD card? In my case it was in the SD card and I have not been able to move it to the C drive despite a huge amount of time and effort. And, I can only open it (DCU 5) with the SD card in the computer.

And did you have an older version of DCU in your computer? What DCU 5 is meant to do is update an older version and the reason it got so complicated for me is because I do not have an older version. Consumer help at Ricoh actually told me DCU 5 absolutely could not be downloaded and installed without an older version being present. Obviously there are ways around that but I haven't been able to make it work, never being able to do the step 4 you described above.

04-01-2019, 05:13 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Consumer help at Ricoh actually told me DCU 5 absolutely could not be downloaded and installed without an older version being present. Obviously there are ways around that but I haven't been able to make it work,
You chose to install it onto an sd card, which worked btw.

If I were you, I'd uninstall the current installation and start over.
Repeat
04-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go back to the Ricoh download site mentioned in one of the earlier posts. Put the SD card in the card reader. When you click on the "Agree/Start Download" button at the bottom of the page, you should get a box asking you where you want to save the download to, with the suggested destination being your SD Card highlighted in Blue. Instead of the SD Card destination, simply type in "desktop" and then click "Save" and it will put the file on your desktop.
04-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
When you click on the "Agree/Start Download" button at the bottom of the page, you should get a box asking you where you want to save the download to, with the suggested destination being your SD Card highlighted in Blue.
I do not get a box asking me where I want to save the download to. Nothing pops up, it just proceeds with the download which ends up in the SD card.

I have also tried to uninstall and start over. That didn't work either.

Someone is sending me a DCU installation CD and hopefully that will solve the problem.

04-03-2019, 02:52 AM   #23

I do not get a box asking me where I want to save the download to. Nothing pops up, it just proceeds with the download which ends up in the SD card.

I have also tried to uninstall and start over. That didn't work either.

Someone is sending me a DCU installation CD and hopefully that will solve the problem.
You need to change your browser settings to ask where to put downloads. Otherwise open the SD card in Windows Explorer, right click on the zip file, drag and drop to somewhere else and pick "move". Unzip and run the install/update from whereever you dragged it to. Rename the SD card to "S-SW140" before running.
04-03-2019, 03:10 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I made an .iso file of my DCU 4 once and put it in dropbox for the member to download and create a .iso file cd one time but I no longer have dropbox or I would have offered to do that this time. Sorry.