Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can't Download DCU 5

I purchased my K-1 not long after they were introduced. A disc with Digital Camera Utility 4 or 5 came with the camera but I never installed DCU at that time as I was using PSE 14 then. Now I would like to install DCU but can't find the disc and when I try to download it from the Ricoh website I am blocked from downloading both 4 and 5, getting the message "Cannot find old version that is a valid target of upgrading." I called Ricoh customer support and they said they do not have any of the discs and can't help me.

Does anyone have a possible solution to this? I would very much like to use DCU at this time and any help would be greatly appreciated. I did do a search but didn't find anything.

03-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's an easy workaround to get the software to install, luckily:

Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

If you are running Windows 8 or 10 just click next or ok on any of the popups when you try to install. Anything except cancel/no. The install will continue regardless of the prior version not found message.
03-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's an easy workaround to get the software to install, luckily:

Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com
Those instructions are for a mac and I have Win 10. It seems doubtful if it will work for Win - the terminology is different and I don't know if I can negotiate through it. The poster didn't know it it would work with Win. I'll try tomorrow - too late and too tired now to struggle with it. Thanks.

03-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
Those instructions are for a mac and I have Win 10. It seems doubtful if it will work for Win - the terminology is different and I don't know if I can negotiate through it. The poster didn't know it it would work with Win. I'll try tomorrow - too late now to struggle with it. Thanks.
I believe all it takes is renaming the drive or SD card. No need to do any of the other steps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you are running Windows 8 or 10 just click next or ok on any of the popups when you try to install. Anything except cancel/no. The install will continue regardless of the prior version not found message.
I do have Win 10 but that didn't work. I clicked on ok and tried to proceed but got a message that the installation had been interrupted and to try again. Tried again but same result. But thanks for trying to help.
03-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #7

You can't download it from here? : Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
It works for me. I don't recall ever having to first install anything from CD, but I could be mistaken. I got my camera fairly recently so I just hit up the web site to grab the latest update and install. I think...

03-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #8

I do have Win 10 but that didn't work. I clicked on ok and tried to proceed but got a message that the installation had been interrupted and to try again. Tried again but same result. But thanks for trying to help.
You're right, that trick doesn't work with this version of the installer. Try attaching a removable drive like a USB drive, memory stick/card and renaming the drive to S-SW140, S-SW150, S-SW151, S-SW156, S-SW160 or S-SW162. That should still work.
03-28-2019, 04:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was able to finally download DCU 5 to a SD card using the advice above. However, I have been unable to find a way to move the file from the SD card to my internal hard drive. I simply can't find a command to do that. The "send to" list does't seem to contain a command that will do it. If anyone can describe what to do now I would be very appreciative and thanks for all the prior help. As is obvious, my computer literacy is very low.
03-28-2019, 06:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried to "copy" and "paste" from your SD card to the desktop?
03-28-2019, 06:52 AM   #11

You don't need to download the file to a SD card, just have a removable drive named say "S-SW150" attached while running the install. Attach a SD card/drive. Right click on the icon for the drive/card and pick properties. In the box with drive name change it to "S-SW150" and click ok.

You can always run the install from the SD card and then delete it.
03-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You don't need to download the file to a SD card, just have a removable drive named say "S-SW150" attached while running the install. Attach a SD card/drive. Right click on the icon for the drive/card and pick properties. In the box with drive name change it to "S-SW150" and click ok.

You can always run the install from the SD card and then delete it.
Thank you West Penn and Not a Number. I did download DCU 5 to a blank SD titled SW-SW140 instead of a removable drive because I don't have any of the latter with enough space left on it at the moment. I was able to put a short cut to DCU 5 on my desktop and it will open DCU 5 but only if the SD card is in the computer. Other wise "no target" or something like that. I don't want to have to insert the SD card every time I want to open DCU 5, and would like to delete the program from the SD card so I would have the card available for other purposes.

So I'm interpreting the above with my feeble brain that DCU 5 is only in the SD card and not downloaded to the computer itself, and I remain without the knowledge of how to transfer it from the SD card to the computers internal storage so the SD card isn't needed anymore. Copy and pasting to the desktop doesn't work (SD card still requiered). Again, this is a Win10 computer. Any advice as to how to do this would be much appreciated.
03-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a Win10 computer, but I believe that you can get it from the SD card to the computer if you load the SD card in the card reader, then search for "This PC," then under devices and drives double click on the SD card, then right click on the DCU5 file, then copy, and then paste to your desktop
03-29-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by West Penn Quote
I don't have a Win10 computer, but I believe that you can get it from the SD card to the computer if you load the SD card in the card reader, then search for "This PC," then under devices and drives double click on the SD card, then right click on the DCU5 file, then copy, and then paste to your desktop
No matter what I do I can't bring up DCU 5 without the SD card being in the computer. I simply can't find a way to copy and then paste the file to the desktop other than what I have now. The icon for DCU 5 is on the desktop as a shortcut but if I try to open it without the SD card being in the computer I get that "Can't find the target" message or some such wording.

I guess this is hopeless. I do have a usable DCU 5 program as long as I am willing to insert the SD card in the computer every time I try to open it (although I haven't actually tried to use it yet). But that is sort of a waste of a brand new 64GB card.

One other thought - if someone had an old DCU 4 installation disc they have no use for since they have DCU 5, I would be glad to pay to have it mailed to me. I believe if I had DCU 4 installed in my computer I could download DCU 5 without problems from the Ricoh website (although I could be wrong given my poor knowledge of this subject).

Thanks for trying to help.
03-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I did download DCU 5 to a blank SD titled SW-SW140 instead of a removable drive because I don't have any of the latter with enough space left on it at the moment. I was able to put a short cut to DCU 5 on my desktop and it will open DCU 5 but only if the SD card is in the computer. Other wise "no target" or something like that. I don't want to have to insert the SD card every time I want to open DCU 5, and would like to delete the program from the SD card so I would have the card available for other purposes.
It sounds like you installed the program onto the SD card instead of onto your computer. IIRC, the download results in a zip file. That zip file has to be extracted. I extracted file updater64.exe into a directory onto my hard drive. Then I copied that file to my thumb drive named as above (may not be a necessary step). Once I double clicked on updater64.exe, I specified it be installed onto my C: drive. The program automatically installed a shortcut onto the desktop.