Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #1

Converting DNG from K70

I have used the DNG and JPEG since starting shooting, I usually use my Macbook or iPhone to open the DNG and edit. I dont use Lightroom like everyone else does, it seems. When I get better at photography, I imagine I will use that tool though.
For now, my question is this...
How do I batch convert a lot of DNG files on Windows, or Mac for that matter?
I cant seem to find any program to actually open the photo file now ! I installed the Program that came with the camera, and it wont read ANY of the files, says they are all "not supported". How does that happen? photo taken with Pentax camera and Pentax software wont open them...

My macbook opens every file FINE, but cant convert them, my macbook is 10+ years old FYI.

Thanks for any help. John

03-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyBoy Quote
I usually use my Macbook or iPhone to open the DNG and edit
I can't imagine your iphone can do as good a job of raw converting a DNG file as software on a computer or your camera itself. Why not just stick to jpeg from the camera ?

cant seem to find any program to actually open the photo file now ! I installed the Program that came with the camera, and it wont read ANY of the files, says they are all "not supported".
DNG files are not actually "photo files like .jpg or .tiff. They need to be converted first. I don't use the Pentax software but perhaps it only works with Pentax native raw system .PEF ?
03-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lightroom. Regarding Pentax DCU I think it only handles PEF files but don’t hold me to that. I tried to use it when I first started and gave up totally frustrated. At least Corel Paintshop pro which I received for free when I purchased my camera and Lightroom were somewhat intuitive.
03-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
Lightroom. Regarding Pentax DCU I think it only handles PEF files but don’t hold me to that. I tried to use it when I first started and gave up totally frustrated. At least Corel Paintshop pro which I received for free when I purchased my camera and Lightroom were somewhat intuitive.
DCU handles DNG perfectly well.

Several cross-platform free programs (Dark Table, Raw Therapee) allow batch processing of RAW files.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 03-30-2019 at 01:36 PM.
03-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used the DNG and JPEG since starting shooting, I usually use my Macbook or iPhone to open the DNG and edit. I dont use Lightroom like everyone else does, it seems. When I get better at photography, I imagine I will use that tool though.
I cant seem to find any program to actually open the photo file now ! I installed the Program that came with the camera, and it wont read ANY of the files, says they are all "not supported". How does that happen? photo taken with Pentax camera and Pentax software wont open them...

My macbook opens every file FINE, but cant convert them, my macbook is 10+ years old FYI.

Adobe has a free DNG converter available on their website.
03-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Adobe has a free DNG converter available on their website.
That's for converting other RAW formats to DNG. Adobe Camera RAW (which is also free) converts RAW to jpg, but is not stand-alone. It can only be run via LR or PS etc.
03-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used "photoscape" for years till I bought DXO
Photoscape is a nice free program that will batch convert DNG to jpeg and has a nice editor as well. Worth checking out.
http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/screenshot.php

03-30-2019, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In camera conversion of DNG then iPhone tweaking can be a great workflow. If you end up with a decent JPEG or TIF the apple software can do wonders. While DCU and/or LR give you lots of tools they can be daunting in the beginning. There is no ‘right way’ to get the image you want.
03-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If the DCU doesn't read the .dng from your camera, first thing I'd do is uninstall it, restart, and install again. Current DCU is 5.

Just guessing on this but if you moved the .dng to your Ipad and then to Windows something might have been dropped from the .dng
03-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
That's for converting other RAW formats to DNG. Adobe Camera RAW (which is also free) converts RAW to jpg, but is not stand-alone. It can only be run via LR or PS etc.
I was wondering if it could be used to convert your dngs to tiff or something else you could read.
I'm surprised you are having trouble. I can open my K1 dngs with the very first Adobe raw converter from PS7. The whole idea of DNG is software compatibility.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-01-2019 at 05:15 PM.
03-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I can't imagine your iphone can do as good a job of raw converting a DNG file as software on a computer or your camera itself. Why not just stick to jpeg from the camera ?

DNG files are not actually "photo files like .jpg or .tiff. They need to be converted first. I don't use the Pentax software but perhaps it only works with Pentax native raw system .PEF ?

Well, I am now.lol. Its a couple trips that I took pics on that I have not been able to "publish". I didnt put that, sorry. But the problem happened when I was encouraged to try just shooting DNG/RAW images,(which is why I have a couple trips wrth of photos I want to convert.)
and I have tried the DNG, and PEF, all the settings in the camera, with no luck on opening them anywhere.
I didnt honestly think about putting the card back into the camera and tell it to convert, although that surely will take a while.

---------- Post added 03-30-19 at 06:40 PM ----------

Thanks everyone for the replies! I will look into the ideas and see what I can figure out! John
03-30-2019, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There’s a relatively inexpensive app for the Mac called GraphicConverter by Lemke Software. It can open DNG files (and almost any other graphic format) and save them as jpegs (or anything else). There’s a little bit of a learning curve associated with it, but it will do what you want. When I got it, it was about $40.

P.S. He’s got tutorials on the use of the app on YouTube.
03-31-2019, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

As someone mentioned earlier, even without using a computer you can just use the camera itself to batch convert DNG RAW's (a folder at a time if you want) and then save them onto your SD card as JPEGs. The K-70 manual shows how to do it (p 92-93).

On Windows, Faststone Image viewer can also do a decent job batch converting DNG to JPEG (Menu >Tools > Batch Convert Selected images):

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
03-31-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your computer opens the dng file can't you just import them into Preview and export them as jpgs?
03-31-2019, 10:46 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If your computer opens the dng file can't you just import them into Preview and export them as jpgs?
Yes! that worked perfect! Thanks !

Thanks everyone for the tips, I think i will be using them all eventually.