Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Irfanview for batch conversion.
I copy the (DNG) files from the SD Card to my computer (Windows 10 based PC).
Then under the File menu in Irfanview, Batch Conversion/Rename.

My camera is the Pentax K50. I always shoot in RAW.

04-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Although I have tried it lately I found that as of a few years ago Faststone, which otherwise is amazing, did a relatively poor job converting raw files, and I used it to convert a bunch. Otherwise it's amazing and if it had selection feathering I might not really need anything else. It seems like dynamic range and capturing shadow and highlight detail is the area where conversion is most differentiated between products, although I'm not sure why that is.

Anyway since ACR was mentioned, I think people get confused because it's referred to as a plugin and in fact does not work standalone, but unlike other plugins that maybe compatible with Adobe as well as some other brands of software, ACR won't work non-Adobe products. And you can't even access all its features in Elements vs. other Adobe products.
04-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Although I have tried it lately I found that as of a few years ago Faststone, which otherwise is amazing, did a relatively poor job converting raw files
Agreed. FastStone is an excellent image viewer and basic editor. It can convert a RAW file (I believe it uses DCRAW to do this), but you have no control over how the conversion is done, so I would not use it for RAW conversion. That said, for non-critical applications, you can use FastStone to edit/save the JPG image that is embedded within the RAW file.

Depending on the camera, the embedded JPGs are often of reasonably good quality. If you like the camera rendering, you are in a hurry, and all you just need a quick JPG that you are going to compress anyways, it can be very expedient to just use FastStone to extract the embedded JPG, crop/adjust it to taste, and save the result. If you need a better quality result, only then do you need to fire up a RAW converter like PDCU.

For more about what FastStone can/can't do, see this thread:
FastStone Image Viewer and extracting Jpg's from RAW DNG's - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by arkav; 04-25-2019 at 06:29 AM.