Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pixel Shift processing in Raw Therapee.. saving to a tiff

I have RT 5.5 and am using it for Pixel Shift processing of a RAW .DNG file. My issue is when I try to save it to a 16 bit TIFF file to a folder, for further editing in LR, LR cannot find it. when I go into the folder, there is a file with a .dng.pp3 extension.
I have tried a save and added it to the queue, careful to select to the destination folder and 16bit TIFF…

How do I get it to format correctly in to a TIFF so I can continue in LR?

04-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neal_grillot Quote
when I go into the folder, there is a file with a .dng.pp3 extension.
I am not a RT user, but I can help with your file question. The "pp3" extension indicates a "side-car" file used by RT to store its processing metadata.

To assist those who are actual RT users commenting after me, it might be help if we knew what operating system is being used and whether the folder is on your hard-drive, removable media, or cloud storage.

Good luck!

Steve
04-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had the case of a PS file converted / oversampled into a 16bits TIFF, but Silkypix wouldn't see it because its size was over its limit around 100 Mpixel. Presence of pp3 doesn't mean that the DNG was converted into a TIFF, it simply mean that the image processing parameters were saved.
04-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #4

If you have the "save processing parameters with image" option checkmark selected, then you should get two files. One would be your 16 bit .tiff, while the other just saves your rawtherapee settings for that pic (.pp3)

04-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Unregistered User

That feature is misnamed, in my opinion. There's no way that you can do "pixel shifting" in software. My guess about what's really going on is an apparent increase in resolution simply by interpolation. Real pixel shifting has to do with taking four separate pictures, each off by exactly one pixel, and then combining the four different images into one, resulting in a genuine increase in resolution.

All that aside, I'm betting there's an option called "export" which will allow you to save just the TIFF if you like.
04-14-2019, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you may want to check in your Rawtherapee settings where you save the file to, when you specify TIFF.
I specified a :"rawtherapee-edit" directory and I can see all of my TIFF's to be saved into that.
04-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rawtherapee can indeed handle the original type of pixel shift debuting in the K-1, as well as do motion correction when needed. No external software can handle the newest Dynamic Pixel Shift, not even DCU.

04-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Real pixel shifting has to do with taking four separate pictures, each off by exactly one pixel, and then combining the four different images into one, resulting in a genuine increase in resolution.
Pentax cameras having pixel-shift support are able to save the four sets of capture data to a single PEF or DNG RAW file for later out-of-camera RAW processing and merge. RawTherapy is capable of doing that basic task and also managing motion correction. In the sense of processing to a usable image, it does indeed DO Pixel Shift.

Steve
04-15-2019, 03:07 AM   #9
Unregistered User

Well, I see your point, dudes, but to me, real pixel shifting involves the acquisition of new and different data. Interpolation doesn't do that, it simply averages the pre-existing data.
04-15-2019, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #10

PIXLS.US - RawTherapee and Pentax Pixel Shift

has all the nifty details why Pentax Pixel Shift+RT means LESS color interpolation.

I have tried a save and added it to the queue, careful to select to the destination folder and 16bit TIFF…
To export as TIFF you must place the image in queue and also start the processing of the queue.
04-15-2019, 05:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I see your point, dudes, but to me, real pixel shifting involves the acquisition of new and different data. Interpolation doesn't do that, it simply averages the pre-existing data.
What seems to be your problem? Pixel shift does exactly that i.e. it captures 4 distinct and separate images in quick succession, nothing to do with interpolation. Some raw developers such as RT actually know how to recombine these four individual images into one.

---------- Post added 04-15-19 at 02:59 PM ----------

I have RT 5.5 and am using it for Pixel Shift processing of a RAW .DNG file. My issue is when I try to save it to a 16 bit TIFF file to a folder, for further editing in LR, LR cannot find it. when I go into the folder, there is a file with a .dng.pp3 extension.

How do I get it to format correctly in to a TIFF so I can continue in LR?
The resulting TIFF file probably ends up in another directory than the raw itself and the pp3 sidecar unless you specified a precise location. Just try searching for it with your file manager. Or point LR to the correct location of course.
04-15-2019, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lightroom and Raw Therapee as well as Pentax's own DCU combine the four images captured, assuming the pixel shift as specified by the camera. This works superbly on all of these platforms -- at least as well as it does when processed in camera.

The difference come in how the software packages deal with movement within the scene. Lightroom doesn't. It instead creates artifacts in every one of those spots. DCU masks in the first image of any artifacted areas it detects automatically when you select the "motion correction" option. Raw Therapee allows you more options for the motioned areas -- an average feature and the ability to choose which of the four images you want as the "base" image. You can also see which areas are being masked and which ones there is no motion in.

Long story short, for images where there is much movement, the majority of the image is going to be whichever base image you choose and pixel shift gives you no benefit over a standard image, but for images where things are relatively still, it gives quite a bit of improvement over a standard image.

Dynamic pixel shift is a different story and as far as I know can only be processed in camera.
04-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So you are saying that the trademarked and patented Pentax Pixel Shift is not pixel shift? PDCU does exactly the same and RawTherapy the functional equivalent of the in-camera processing.

Steve
04-16-2019, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am not sure what I did differently, but I am now finding the TIFF file in the destination folder. thanks everyone.
04-16-2019, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #15
Unregistered User

Ok, I get it. Thanks for the good explanations - I had the idea that the software was working from a single image and "expanding" it; what we're really talking about is the processing in software of raw files taken from a camera that really did do the pixel-shifting. That's what confused me. Thanks, again.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Lightroom and Raw Therapee as well as Pentax's own DCU combine the four images captured, assuming the pixel shift as specified by the camera. This works superbly on all of these platforms -- at least as well as it does when processed in camera.

The difference come in how the software packages deal with movement within the scene. Lightroom doesn't. It instead creates artifacts in every one of those spots. DCU masks in the first image of any artifacted areas it detects automatically when you select the "motion correction" option. Raw Therapee allows you more options for the motioned areas -- an average feature and the ability to choose which of the four images you want as the "base" image. You can also see which areas are being masked and which ones there is no motion in.

Long story short, for images where there is much movement, the majority of the image is going to be whichever base image you choose and pixel shift gives you no benefit over a standard image, but for images where things are relatively still, it gives quite a bit of improvement over a standard image.

Dynamic pixel shift is a different story and as far as I know can only be processed in camera.