Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it still possible to purchase a standalone Lightroom version?

Even if it's outdated? I have simple needs such as organizing photos, doing some basic and batch correction, and sometimes edit some photos, but not something intensively, and I also don't use Lightroom frequently, therefore I don't want the 10$/month subscription but a standalone installation instead. I went to Adobe website but couldn't find that option. Do you know how to get that?

Thank you.

04-17-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lightroom 6 is still available as a stand alone, although obviously it doesn't get updated with new lenses and camera bodies. B and H sells it, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 (DVD) 65237578 B&H Photo Video
04-17-2019, 02:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far as I'm aware, that ship has sailed. It's subscription model or nothing now. Unless retailers still have copies. Check B&H or Adorama.
04-17-2019, 03:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Some people offer it for sale on used products sites, but not on ebay.

04-17-2019, 03:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're liable to get accused of having a non-genuine copy by Adobe even if, like me, you bought it from Adobe, but that tends to go away after then next check if it is genuine.
04-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stand alone is no longer available directly from the Adobe web site.
04-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've gotten pretty fed up with Adobe and their subscription only business model so I've moved entirely to open source--GIMP and Raw Therapee--for my post-processing needs and have no regrets in doing so.

04-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I ditched Adobe in favour of On1 and have not looked back. It does everything as well (better in some ways for me) as LR...you own your copy for good, you can upgrade if you want or not. Plus it's very reasonably priced...if you sit on the trial for a while, they begin offering increasingly rich discounts too. They also do this amazing thing that Adobe literally never do...they listen to their customers on their forum, and fix bugs and implement features for them.
04-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Adobe was still selling it on their site a few weeks ago, though finding the page was not easy. LR 6 is also available at major online retailers as regular stock (not NOS) at present. There is nothing illegal or shady about such a purchase. The product is fully licensed, but will only update to the last version and will not see future development.

Partial support (camera-specific import profiles for RAW) for newer camera models is provided through updates to Adobe's free DNG converter utility.

Errata: As of April 1, 2019, Adobe stopped selling LR 6 through its Web site. Whether Adobe is in the process of shutting off dealer DVD sales is not clear.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-17-2019 at 10:08 AM.
04-17-2019, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I wouldn't trust Adobe to throw out the kleenex I blew my nose in. Just saying.

Adobe has a full time department who's job is to find ways to make more money doing what they always did. They excel at creating scircumstances where you have to pay them more than you thought you would.
04-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Truthfully as good as lightroom is, I'd suggest going with someone like Affinity Photo Software.
For $50 bucks, you pretty much get a Photoshop "lite"
04-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Limunar 3 and On1 are getting into the photo organization game.
On1 seems a bit better overall in many ways. Not as good as LR for editing in some ways, but the organization seems decent.
Luminar is terribly flawed/buggy and shows only tiny filmstrip thumbnails for viewing the set of images. It has a long way to go to actually be very useful.
I think Dartktable is another option and free. Lots of people like it, but it has crashed every time I tried running it.

Personally, I cannot imagine why someone would purchase old software that is essentially End-Of-Life'd and completely unsupported.
You're potentially one OS upgrade away from the software being unuseable.

At least get the trial of other software and see if one of them does what you want before throwing money at Adobe.
04-17-2019, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$10 a month for Lightroom and Photoshop is a small price to pay. And it's a business expense. Probably my smallest business expense. LOL
04-18-2019, 04:43 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've gone in circles on this one. Bought LightRoom 6.14 when I thought it would still be supported going forward. Upgraded my K-1 to a K-1 II, and shooting in DNG, LR still pulls them in fine, but I've lost the ability to pick profiles that match the camera's e.g. used to be able to toggle between "bright", "vivid", "landscape", etc. Now just have "embedded". So certainly not dead in the water, but a little loss there - was nice to be able to flip through those. Regarding the subscription pricing, it's almost a toss up. Certainly the other software vendors do in version updates, but version changes seem to require pulling out the wallet, and most vendors seem to do a major version annually, and suddenly you're apt to pay something that might resemble a LR subscription. If you add in Photoshop as part of the bundle, one could argue it's a lot of bang for the buck, and you are always current. Now, after writing all that, I hate subscription models enough that I've stuck with LR 6.14, have started playing more with ACR, and am also doing more with Darktable and RawTherapee. However, I haven't taken a current LR subscription off the table.
04-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
$10 a month for Lightroom and Photoshop is a small price to pay. And it's a business expense. Probably my smallest business expense. LOL
If photography is a business, it makes total sense...just stick a line in your accounts and be done. Probably it would be better to lease your camera too, if that were possible.

But as a personal user, a hobbyist, it isn't so clear cut. The likelihood of it staying at £/$10 a month is small, and in a year or two could be $15...or $50 if they so please...and you then have a choice of trying to export your massive library, or losing your edits, or sucking it up and paying. The other problem for me is the fact that I quite often have lean months where that £10 is better used paying for electricity or food, than spending it on my hobby....but with the subs model as it is, that means ending the subscription (if you can, and you remember), losing 'your' software, then starting again when more financially liquid. At least with On1 I paid up when I had the spare cash and, even if I lose my job, I can at least continue to use my software for the foreseeable future.

So far, On1 has cost me about £5/month. I will probably use this version for another year or two...or more, unless something compelling comes in a new version...making it more like £2/month or less. Whenever I do decide to, and can afford to, upgrade to the next version, the pricing for upgrade is generally around 7-8 months of LR subs so it still makes financial sense.

Plus, for me it works better in a lot of ways, and as good in the rest and I'd rather support a small software house that cares about its users than a massive conglomerate who only sees them as cash cows.