Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
To those who hate a lot of the useless garbage (I daren't use a more "descriptive" term for fear of being given another "ticking off" by a Mod for using a "mildly offensive" term!) that W10 installs without asking, I can strongly recommend IObit "Uninstaller"which gives one (as it has myself) a pretty good list of all that stuff and a pretty easy way of uninstalling it.

That App is free and regularly asks if you want to upgrade to the paid-for "Pro" version (but not too "insistently"), and I can't actually see that the latter does much more than the free version except to automate the process - whereas I prefer to make my own decisions on issues like that! Using it, I have removed large amounts of "garbage" very easily from several W10 m/cs.
So, you have Win10 and then installed this software to get rid of unwanted "bits" in the O/S ?
What did you removed (examples) from Win10?
Did it cause any misbehaviour?

05-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Have you recently received this message when turning on your PC:
I realize this was going to happen (again) one day, so what are your plans?
Personally, I like my good old Win 7 and I am not quite sure when I will decide to move on.
I had previously (long ago) installed a little program which stopped Windows showing similar "warnings" ... can it be done again?
Thoughts?
I see a Windows10 upgrade in your future!
05-01-2019, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I see a Windows10 upgrade in your future!
... As the old saying goes: "resistance is futile ..."
05-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... As the old saying goes: "resistance is futile ..."
10, for all it's faults, just works. No blue screens, etc. My only complaint is that, every time the thing does an update, oit decides that I do not want to open .pdf files with Adobe. It believes I'd like to use Edge. If I could find a way to stop that annoyance, I'd be quite content with 10.

05-02-2019, 12:58 AM   #35
Pentaxian

So, you have Win10 and then installed this software to get rid of unwanted "bits" in the O/S ?
What did you removed (examples) from Win10?
Did it cause any misbehaviour?
Well, for example, there was a whole load of X-box stuff (I don't have an X-box & have no intention of getting one!), games, unneccessary add-ons from the installation of a Canon printer, and so on, which I didn't want.

I uninstalled all that lot, and much more, and that resulted in absolutely no misbehaviour of anything left behind, and it also reduced the memory requirements as indicated by Task Manager. All-in-all, a very worthwhile exercise!

BTW:
1) Running W10 on a m/c with "only" 4GB of RAM seems right "on the edge" of slowing it down a lot - 8GB is much better
2) IObit may prompt you to install "Driver Booster" which claims to update all your drivers - I would NOT install that as it caused a major issue with the AMD graphics drivers on my AMD-based laptop and it took me sometime to sort that out!
05-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
10, for all it's faults, just works. No blue screens, etc. My only complaint is that, every time the thing does an update, oit decides that I do not want to open .pdf files with Adobe. It believes I'd like to use Edge. If I could find a way to stop that annoyance, I'd be quite content with 10.
I do use Win10 at work on a laptop and it does what it's supposed to do (Office stuff) but I prefer the old Win7 on my home PC.
I suppose it is going to happen soon enough: "accepting" Win10.

---------- Post added 05-02-19 at 09:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Well, for example, there was a whole load of X-box stuff (I don't have an X-box & have no intention of getting one!), games, unneccessary add-ons from the installation of a Canon printer, and so on, which I didn't want.

I uninstalled all that lot, and much more, and that resulted in absolutely no misbehaviour of anything left behind, and it also reduced the memory requirements as indicated by Task Manager. All-in-all, a very worthwhile exercise!

BTW:
1) Running W10 on a m/c with "only" 4GB of RAM seems right "on the edge" of slowing it down a lot - 8GB is much better
2) IObit may prompt you to install "Driver Booster" which claims to update all your drivers - I would NOT install that as it caused a major issue with the AMD graphics drivers on my AMD-based laptop and it took me sometime to sort that out!
Thanks for that.
I will certainly use this when the time comes (for the home PC when Win10 will have taken over).
I might give it a go on the office laptop which already has Win10.
05-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe it works for some, maybe most but from what I've read it is not compatible with my Toshiba laptop even if Microsoft say it is. I have frequently considered trying it but always chickened out as no one seems to have successfully updated a similar machine.

05-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems to work. S...l.....o....o....w....l...y... Perhaps it's that my 2-year-old work laptop has only 8 GB of RAM. Or not the fastest processor in the world. Or full disk encryption. But most tasks are slower than with Win7. And everything is much slower than my 5+ year old Linux machine at home. Okay maybe initial boot to login is faster on 10 than 7, but login to usable machine as stuff loads in the background is another 2-3 minutes.

With Win7 or Linux I open the calculator and half a second later it's ready to go. The first time of the day you use the calculator on Win10 it's 5-10 seconds to come up. Outlook pauses for 10, 15 seconds multiple times a day. Scrolling through a Word document is rife with pauses. I just hit the Firefox icon here on my Win10 machine and it was ready to go a mere 120 seconds later. Why? No idea. 14 seconds from clicking on File Explorer to exploring files. There's. A. Pause. For. Everything.

Microsoft appears to design new versions of Windows to the 75th or 90th percentile of computer hardware on release day. So if you have a perfectly fine Win7 machine that's a few years old, you can expect it to not perform very well on Win10. But you could outfit it quickly, easily, and free with a current release of a light distro of Linux that's faster even than Win7. I assume that Microsoft has some handshake deals with hardware manufacturers to push people/companies to buy new computers.
05-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I'm not an expert but that sounds like windows defender security settings checking things before loading them, you can switch it off or use other providers. It's also worth going through the startup settings to switch off a lot of the junk which they've decided people need running. 8gb should be fine, I can run it on a netbook with 2gb (albeit with lots of stuff switched off). It's not ideal to have to manually fiddle with stuff, but that's what I find I have to do with linux too.

My personal pet peeve is them upgrading my drivers to 'safe and modern' windows drivers for game controllers, control surfaces, human interface devices, video & audio devices, midi stuff, etc each update (their driver design seems to be - make the yellow triangle go away, but don't actually use the device beyond the most very basic level if at all) - I've had to reinstall hardware drivers so often that I have a folder on an external drive for it now.
05-02-2019, 03:29 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Maybe it works for some, maybe most but from what I've read it is not compatible with my Toshiba laptop even if Microsoft say it is. I have frequently considered trying it but always chickened out as no one seems to have successfully updated a similar machine.
How old is the laptop?
05-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #41
Pentaxian

How old is the laptop?
2010. I know what you are thinking. . It still does everything I need though so I would rather not be forced to replace it.

05-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2010. I know what you are thinking. . It still does everything I need though so I would rather not be forced to replace it.
Yeah, I get that. Mine's pretty old too - but it was such a top spec machine when I bought it that it's not really a step down from the latest and greatest now.
05-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #43
PDL
Pentaxian

I am running Windows 10 Pro 1809 on my 2008 Toshiba Protégé Laptop (Dual core Centrino). Some of the Toshiba "added" buttons do not work, but the pen works. I upgraded it from 4GB to 6GB and dropped in a SSD. Even the SD card reader is able to read my SDHC 32GB cards. It has a DVD/RAM disk burner in it too.
I run LR v6.14 and have taken it to Europe twice. It began with Vista 32bit I upgraded to 64x when I went to Windows 8.0 and I have not looked back. Since it is so old, I bought a Lenovo Flex 5 with 16GB that runs just a bit slower than the Toshiba.

As for things to turn off, be sure to disable the "Advertising ID" function in Windows 10. That cleans up a lot of the MS spam. One of my complaints about Windows 10 is that it insists on putting Skype a microphone and camera garbage on my desktop that does not have a camera or microphone. I can't get to the default Skype account since it was associated with a old Hotmail account that I explicitly deleted. So when ever I have tried to get Microsoft to "fix the issue" they send a message to get permission to an account that does not exist. Go Figure.

Last edited by PDL; 05-02-2019 at 07:03 PM.
05-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have not received any messages on my windows 7 Professional account yet. But when I do, I'm going Windows 10 Enterprise, which is nothing like regular Windows 10, has none of the bits and pieces you see on regular Windows 10. And Microsoft doesn't bug you either.

It's free to download the upgrade.
05-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
It's free to download the upgrade.
According to the Window 10 Club website free Windows 10 upgrades does not include the Enterprise edition:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/upgrade-from-windows-10-home-pro-enterprise
QuoteQuote:
Upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Enterprise

The Windows 10 free upgrade offer, does not include Enterprise editions. You will not be able to upgrade Windows 8.1 / 7 Enterprise Edition to Windows 10 Enterprise Edition. You will be required to pay.

As far as upgrading from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise is concerned, it is not possible. You will have to buy the edition. Bulk licensing is negotiable with Microsoft. You can download the 90-day evaluation of Windows 10 Enterprise Trial and test drive it, before you decide. This way you can not only check out what it has to offer but also test your existing software and ensure that your hardware meets the specifications.
The free upgrade will only upgrade you to the logical edition based your Windows 7 or 8. For example Windows 7 Home Basic or Home will be upgraded to Win 10 Home, Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. If you want to go from Home to Pro you have to buy the Windows 10 Pro Pack ($99) or use an existing WIn 10 Pro key. The only way to update to Enterprise and activate Windows is to use an Enterprise key. You will have to negotiate with Microsoft to purchase a bulk license. Enterprise keys are only sold in bulk licenses to organizations. The other option is if you have Home Use rights through an Employer's Volume License program with the option to upgrade employee's personal devices.