Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2019, 06:01 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Photo printer for grandkids - suggestions??

Last Christmas we gave our granddaughters, Audrey (9 yrs old) and Sofia (11yrs old) each a Kodak PIXPRO FZ 43 camera, one in black one in red, plus a AA charger, many NiCad cells, a lens cleaning pen, and 2 pouches to carry the cameras. The kids have really enjoyed the cameras, and have taken many good shots. They are using PhotoShop or Elements for some creative manipulation. We've been pleased with the care they've taken with the cameras.
We think that a printer might be in order. I use a Canon Pixma Pro 100, but that might be overkill for the kids, both in price and size. I think something which would print up to 8 x 10 photo quality - of course! - and moderate operating cost would be in order. (All too often the cost of carts soon exceeds the printer cost!)
Any thoughts out there??

04-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Investigate the HP Instant Ink printers - the cheapest scheme allows you to print up to 50 A4 sheets per month for $2.99. The grandkids can fit four snapshots on an A4 sheet or, of course, print a full A4 size photo.

Philip
04-19-2019, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Investigate the HP Instant Ink printers - the cheapest scheme allows you to print up to 50 A4 sheets per month for $2.99. The grandkids can fit four snapshots on an A4 sheet or, of course, print a full A4 size photo.

Philip

Don't get the hp 3720....bad juju.

---------- Post added 04-19-19 at 07:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote

Philip

Don't get the hp 3720....bad juju.

But if you go up a few models they're worth the hassle.
04-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Noting you mentioned your Pixma Pro, that could still be a good bet right now since it's being offered on sale (see below) until the end of the month. The downside is its size and ink consumption costs but you're familiar with those aspects, but rarely such a good printer comes along at this cost, and it would give your grandkids some media to start with.

Canon Pixma Pro-100 Printer $80 After Rebate - PentaxForums.com

04-19-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't print much anymore, but when I did, I used a Canon Selphy 600. It is a dye-sublimation system which uses a cassette of 3 colors plus clear coat that is size-matched to the paper - they are bought as a pair.

A few versions later is this:

amazon.com : Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer (Black) + Canon KP-108IN Color Ink Paper Set (Produces up to 108 of 4 x 6 Prints) + USB Printer Cable + HeroFiber Ultra Gentle Cleaning Cloth : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I have an optional 4x8 tray as well.

The paper goes in and out for each color, plus the clear coat. The paper has perforations to easily remove the non-printed ends, and the postcard-size paper had address lines on the back.

I thought the IQ was pretty good, and it's easy to use.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-19-2019 at 07:36 PM.
04-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife sends her digital files out to Clark Color Labs for printing. They have very fast turnaround and may be what they need for now. No upfront costs and the quality is pretty good. 4 x 6 photos may be as cheap as $.09 each. You may want to look into it. Shutterfly can make up books for them too if they want a story line for their photos.
04-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #7

My Mom and Dad each have their own Canon printers for general use... not sure if the exact models. They work well. I would go for a 4-cartridge model (4 separate ink cartridges) vs multicolor ink cartridges. I would look for a printer that supports wireless Air Print (or equivalent) so they can also print from a phone or tablet. I had bad experience with two HP inkjet printers in the past. I personally use high-end Epson printers because I typically am printing professional-quality work to frame, but those Epsons are overkill.

04-20-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I thought you were suggesting a swap - you could have two of mine for a decent printer.
04-21-2019, 02:55 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I thought you were suggesting a swap - you could have two of mine for a decent printer.
LOL The printer would be cheaper to run, that's for sure
04-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
LOL The printer would be cheaper to run, that's for sure
And safer sometimes too.