Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2019, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #1

Slideshow Software

Hello everyone who's got curious about the tread. I hope, I've chosen the right forum.
I need some software for Windows to make photo slideshows, I'm kind of new to it, just tried a couple of online slideshow makers, not really into it. So, I will be grateful for your recommendations. I consider both free and paid (but not very expensive) software.

04-22-2019, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #2

What are your requirements? How sophisticated a slide show are you making? Do you need features such as effects, synchronized sound and slide changes, variable time changes, or standalone presentations?
04-22-2019, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try ProShow Gold....

ProShow Gold
You can buy the basic version for ~$70.
I think there is also a free version

Good Luck

QuoteOriginally posted by Maria P Quote
Hello everyone who's got curious about the tread. I hope, I've chosen the right forum.
I need some software for Windows to make photo slideshows, I'm kind of new to it, just tried a couple of online slideshow makers, not really into it. So, I will be grateful for your recommendations. I consider both free and paid (but not very expensive) software.
04-22-2019, 06:14 AM - 3 Likes   #4
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would recommend FastStone Image Viewer. It is open-source freeware, and allows some simple edits along with the ability to make a slide show.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

04-22-2019, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

How about the free Microsoft Movie Maker? It is a rather easy tool, but depending on your needs it may be good enough.

It did the job for me when making a slide show for my parents golden anniversary.
04-22-2019, 09:05 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would second the Pro-show software as it has a lot of features and is dedicated to the task while allowing you to publish to places like YouTube, DVD, etc.

Alternatively, besides the options above, PowerPoint can do well if you already have Microsoft Office (not sure how many people do anymore, but it is standard for my office job) and I would assume that any other Office Alternative could do it through its presentation software.
04-22-2019, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

how about PICASA from google; it's free, also allows for quick picture manipulations.
still available here: download picasa free

This can create "movies" at various screen resolutions and controls for transition and duration of slide to be shown.

04-22-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Hi Maria,

I use a basic Slideshow generator called DVD slideshow GUI, it simple, basic and FREE.
It has transitions, and I've used up 100 images in the slideshow.
Typically I will add the images in that fashion, then output them as a mpeg video, take the video and add in with other videos as I build a DVD

DVD slideshow GUI 0.9.5.4 Free Download - VideoHelp

I've found it a good starter, and haven't bothered to progess to anything else.

hope it helps
Greg
04-22-2019, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I would recommend FastStone Image Viewer. It is open-source freeware, and allows some simple edits along with the ability to make a slide show.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
This is what I was going to suggest. Lots of utilities as well.
04-22-2019, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Maria,

I'm also a ProShow user and very happy with the offering. It's got a lot of stuff and fairly intuitive to operate. The folks at Photodex have been great to offer support (when needed). I would caution, ProShow is somewhat insidious; as you use it, the siren song becomes the expansion modules and movement from Gold to Producer which can make the product a fairly expensive investment in a piece of software (but I wouldn't be without it). For display of images, several of my colleagues (we teach) use Microsoft PowerPoint (as have I) and I believe it's included in most "Office" packages free of extra charge. Compared to ProShow, PowerPoint is a little less intuitive but there's a lot of feaures there if you have the time to explore and play and in many ways very comparable to ProShow for a relatively simple display of images.
04-23-2019, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maria P Quote
Have you checked what is available already installed with Windows?
Sadly MS dropped support for Windows Media Centre some time ago although you can still find it and download.

Have you looked at Microsoft Photos? This is a very simple application that will create a video slideshow from images that you drag and drop.
04-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #12

Original Poster
Oh, so nice to get plenty of replies here, I appreciate. The photographer I assist wants to start making slideshows for his customers. So, they mostly will be wedding, graduation, anniversary slideshows, i.e. different kinds of celebrations. It would be nice to have special effects and a possibility to apply custom music.
There are quite the amount of suggestions here, I will check out them all. Particularly, I'm glad to see free programs
Many thanks to all of you, guys!
04-23-2019, 05:14 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I used Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker to create a slide show for my family for Christmas one year, it allows custom music, has loads of transitions , i.e., special effects, fades in and out, etc, and it is free to download.

And the best thing was, it was easy to use. Especially for one like me who knows nothing about slideshows and how to make one when I started out.

I made several copies and gave each family member a copy as a present. They loved it!!
04-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I Just point my TV to the memory stick folder and tell it to run a slideshow. All it does is show pictures, but I can stop it, step backwards for forwards. 4k TV you get great IQ. On my computer I point to a folder int eh "Desktop Display" function and run a slide show that goes on all day. You do have to close all your windows to see it.
04-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I Just point my TV to the memory stick folder and tell it to run a slideshow. All it does is show pictures, but I can stop it, step backwards for forwards. 4k TV you get great IQ. On my computer I point to a folder int eh "Desktop Display" function and run a slide show that goes on all day. You do have to close all your windows to see it.
She's talking about creating a slideshow, Norm, not showing a slideshow.