Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Aperture 2 and keeping all those files under control

I am wrestling with a concern/situation that we all likely deal with in one way or another
at some point of our photo hobby.
I (as of today) do not have any software for working on my images. I have been using iphoto and am considering Aperture 2 for an upgrade. I don't plan on doing any major image manipulation, just a bit of WB changes, small amounts of color saturation, sharpening, etc.
I do like the way Ap. 2 seems to organize everything and it is similar to iphoto so the learning curve for me my be a bit easier than other programs. Aperture 2 seems to me more of an organizational tool than a photo processing tool. (I am not a computer guru so I need to keep it simple). What do others like best and worst about the Aperture program? And BTW I use two cameras a K10 and a K20, I change between file formats, sometimes I shoot jpeg and others I shoot raw, if either make a difference when it comes to the way the program responds to type of image.
My next question is about photo storage and workflow. With the larger file sizes of the K20 (avg. 9-12 mb/image) my computer is going to fill quickly. I am considering downloading the Aperture software onto my imac then using a designated external HD (maybe 1 or 2 TB) to store and work on my photos. Is this a foolish way of doing it? Is there a better, less complicated way? I don't want to sacrifice the performance and speed of my computer. I am sure one of you has the savvy to have figured all this out. PS, try to keep it simple so an ol' goat like me can understand. Ha Ha Ha. Thanks Jeff

10-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #2

I use Aperture 2 on my imac, and my MBP. I have a 500 GB Time Capsule that I store my Aperture library on. This allows me to access my images from either computer. I am no computer guru either but I find Aperture 2 relatively easy to use, and more than adequate for basic editing. It also allows you to install and use plug-ins like noise ninja, etc to edit as well. It also shares features with iphoto like creating photo books, etc. If you are an iphoto fan you will appreciate Aperture 2.
10-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Forum Member

Aperture 2

Aperture 2 is a great way to go, and if you already use iPhoto then you will like Aperture. I think you'll find with some time that aperture can do a lot for you and you will like the ability of having multiple 'versions' of the same image without taking up any more space on your hard drive. Saving externally is a great way to go but make sure you have a backup on another drive...don't want to lose those great photos. Enjoy!
--JZ
10-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you've got the gist of it. I keep my photos on a portable hard drive which commutes between my home and work. Aperture has a "vault" back up mechanism, which keeps an up-to-date copy of your library elsewhere (I have a vault at work).

An aside: back ups are critical.

I transitioned from iPhoto to Aperture and I much prefer the latter. RAW files and jpegs are all handled the same way (although unlike iPhoto movies are not handled), and the the number of adjustments available for an image is extensive.

There are three things I really like about Aperture. One is that the organization--managing files and backups-- is great and after a bit of a learning curve pretty powerful. Second, I like keywording and rating photos, and the smart folders and albums you can generate quickly. Third, the adjustments available are frequently all I need to do.

10-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

+1 for Aperture.

I use Aperture 2 for basic organizing and simple photo manipulation. I also store most my photos on external hard drives, with only photos used for work on my macbook. Also, if ever you need to do some major PP, you can activate Photoshop CS3 via aperture, then when you're done, it goes back to aperture.
10-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
This kind of info is what I wanted to hear and this forum is a great place to get it Now if I am computer literate enough to set it up correctly then I'll be a happy photo manager.
I did get a few replies from a MAC web forum trying to explain the diff between referenced and managed files, ( I still don't quite understand all that) and maybe soon I will get the differences between the two. Thanks for all of you guys support. If anybody else wants to weigh in and give me more info to digest great. Thanks Jeff
10-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Managed files are the ones that are imported into aperture and saved in the aperture library (one BIG file..... aka database).

Referenced files are photos that have been imported into aperture but ARE NOT stored in the aperture library, ie they are located where ever you saved them originally. When you import them you are just setting a pointer to where they are actually stored.

I suggest that you buy 2 external harddrives. One to use as the aperture library and the other for backups. Backup is done via the aperture 'vault' or you can use 'timemachine' and just backup the whole computer.

mike