Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2019, 04:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adobe Photography Plan Price Increase?

Saw this in my news feed this morning:

Adobe tests doubling the price of its Lightroom and Photoshop plan - The Verge

Have not received any notification from Adobe on this.

Anyone else have any info on the matter?

05-03-2019, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
Didn't see anything in regards to this either. Perhaps it's not increasing immediately for existing subscribers since you agree to pay for a year regardless if its upfront or monthly. I mean for what you get it's not bad especially if they are going to add 1TB of cloud storage. I liked the 9.99 a month but still, Lightroom and Photoshop are such a part of my life at this point, I couldn't imagine using anything else. I've known photoshop since I was about 12 back in the early 2000s. Am I happy about the price increase no but at least they are adding something to it
05-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw a note about this in Tim Grey's daily email. However, when I went to the Adobe site, the usual pricing for the Photography Plan (LR,LR CC, Photoshop, 20Gb storage) still exists - $9.99/month in the USA.
Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud
05-03-2019, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this has been the fear the whole time since Adobe discontinued free-standing Lightroom. According to the website, Adobe is "testing" the higher prices, meaning that they may settle on a price a little lower than 19.99 a month. For power users it probably still makes sense at 240 a year, but there are a lot of hobby-ists where that sort of price increase is too much to pay on an ongoing basis for what is a spare time activity.

05-03-2019, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I'm not helping their "cause".
05-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing to see here. The $9.99 plan still exists...
05-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I use Lightroom but almost never use Photoshop. Doubling the price would result in me cancelling the plan and switching to something else. I really don't use it enough anymore to warrant the price. Some of it is my lack of doing much photo shooting in recent months. If I was regularly shooting I would probably just pay up but I haven't even gone into Lightroom since my last batch of motorcycle racing photos in March. Being semi retired with less income, I'm in that stage of life where I'm forced to cut expenses and anything I'm not using much of is going away.

05-03-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Nothing to see here. The $9.99 plan still exists...
For some people. They're testing the waters on a higher price on certain groups so plenty to see here and prep for. Anecdotal evidence and all that...

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I use Lightroom but almost never use Photoshop. Doubling the price would result in me cancelling the plan and switching to something else. I really don't use it enough anymore to warrant the price. Some of it is my lack of doing much photo shooting in recent months. If I was regularly shooting I would probably just pay up but I haven't even gone into Lightroom since my last batch of motorcycle racing photos in March. Being semi retired with less income, I'm in that stage of life where I'm forced to cut expenses and anything I'm not using much of is going away.
Same boat in terms of use - I don't want the stupid online storage and all that jazz, just barebones software to edit stuff with!

What are the popular alternatives out there? I feel like this would be what gets me off the couch to try Capture One (which lets you outright buy it, yes!) but I'm also hearing buzz about Raw Therapee.
05-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sound's a little too much like satellite and cable TV where they "test" price increases every year. I quit Adobe once it went to non-standalone products because I find little value in the upgrades they provide and don't like cloud based products because I don't always have access to the cloud. I was thinking about jumping back in but this is probably a deal breaker for me because there's nothing to keep them from doing more "tests" in the future, and as other have mentioned, it might be worth it for power users, but not for the at home or non-professional types who can't afford these prices.

Like TV subscriptions, Adobe will reach a point where it starts to lose business as other alternatives begin filling in needs of photographers without prices that are reminiscent of gouging.

Last edited by Bob 256; 05-03-2019 at 09:01 AM.
05-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since upgarding my K-1 to the K-1 II, I had been contemplating their $9.99 plan. However, after seeing this, I think I'll just keep using exif tool to modify the camera ID as needed to use my already paid for copy of 6.14 and have all the functionality, such as different camera pofiles, as I had with my K-1.
05-03-2019, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I'm going to drop my illustrator subscription then. Photoshop is too valuable to me unfortunately, u use it all the time for work as well as photography (which is a hobby at this point).

Torrent sites will get a huge spike soon)

05-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FoxbatK Quote
For some people. They're testing the waters on a higher price on certain groups so plenty to see here and prep for. Anecdotal evidence and all that...
The plan is available to everyone. You just have to call Adobe...
05-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'm going to drop my illustrator subscription then. Photoshop is too valuable to me unfortunately, u use it all the time for work as well as photography (which is a hobby at this point).

Torrent sites will get a huge spike soon)
What does Illustrator have to do with it? All this is about some people not seeing the $9.99 Photography plan (Lightroom, Photoshop, 20GB of storage). The $19.99 Photography plan (Lightroom, Photoshop, 1TB of storage has always been available and isn't changing, Adobe is just making it harder to find the $9.99 plan for some people...

Kind of like AVG advertises a free Anti-virus tool then makes it really hard to find the free download...

Last edited by boriscleto; 05-03-2019 at 10:01 AM.
05-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What does Illustrator have to do with it? All this is about some people not seeing the $9.99 Photography plan. The $19.99 plan has always been available and isn't changing, Adobe is just making it harder to find the $9.99 plan for some people...
I was fine paying for illustrator with photography plan being $10, I'm dropping it when they raise the price.

05-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I was fine paying for illustrator with photography plan being $10, I'm dropping it when they raise the price.
They aren't raising the price...