Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2019, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It looks as though Adobe is going to have a Lightroom only plan for 9.99, but for Lightroom plus Photoshop they will be charging 19.99.

(see this article with attached update at the top: Adobe Is ?Testing? Doubling The Price Of Its Photography Plan )
Copied from Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan | Professional photo editing software approximately 30 seconds ago -

Attached Images

05-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I'll never use PS and Lightroom on the cloud, price is not my concern - computer virus' are.

I have two desktop computers. One is an older/slower one that's hooked up to the Internet. Even with the latest and best anti-malware software on this computer I still get the occasional computer virus.

My second computer is a new, powerful machine that is not hooked up to the Internet. This is the desktop I use for editing my image files. Never had a computer virus on that computer and plan to keep it that way.
05-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Sure.

I guess the question is if we are in some sort of transition period. The link I posted indicates that the 10 dollar level is still available, but that Adobe may bump up the pricing over time. I'd be surprised if they bump it to 20 dollars a month particularly when the Outdoor Photographer link has a survey that shows that 80 some odd percent of people would consider ditching Adobe if the pricing went that high.
05-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure.

I guess the question is if we are in some sort of transition period. The link I posted indicates that the 10 dollar level is still available, but that Adobe may bump up the pricing over time. I'd be surprised if they bump it to 20 dollars a month particularly when the Outdoor Photographer link has a survey that shows that 80 some odd percent of people would consider ditching Adobe if the pricing went that high.
I would count myself among those who would drop Adobe if the price were to double. I think On1 has come a long way and has implemented lots of aids for migration from LR which is my digital asset manager as well as my primary editing tool.

My comments on this thread were directed at those who proclaimed the increase a fait accompli when it was probably either a change in web page layout listing the 1TB option first, a mistake, or a trial balloon. However, I agree that most things increase in price with time, so I don't expect $9.99/mo to go on forever.

Last edited by lsimpkins; 05-07-2019 at 07:44 AM.
05-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
OP here.....

I really like Lightroom, which handles the majority of my processing needs. Photoshop is just the icing as far as I'm concerned.

If this price increase does happen when it's time to renew, I'l evaluate then. Have no need to 1TB of online storage, but I would also check out Darkroom and see if Elements (with 3rd party add-ons) would fit the bill. Maybe even this ON1 software needs checking out.
05-08-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I've been forced, due to my profession, to use cloud computing for a variety of data analyses and other functions. I've conducted an assessment and the process now with the online process and the highest speed office connection takes 5.2x longer than the desktop native program that I was using prior to this "improvement". Add to that the fact that the server was down yesterday at a crucial time, they have "planned maintenance", and other hassles and Cloud computing has been nothing but a PITA for me every single time I've been forced (yes, forced) to use it. Buy the software, install it on my computer, run it whenever I want is far and away better in every regard from my experiences. Part of why I asked a while ago for recommendations for alternatives to LR and PS as I will not pay monthly for online software access. Rant over.
05-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got an email from On1 yesterday spreading FUD about an Adobe price increase...

05-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's not such a great deal. For my $9.99 a month I get RawTherapee, Darktable, GIMP, Rapid Photo Downloader and 2 TB of storage from Google Drive. Of course the first four are free, but I have cloud backups of every single RAW and jpeg I've ever shot, and have well over a TB free. And I think my results from RawTherapee are as good as anything I could get out of Lightroom.
05-09-2019, 05:09 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That's not such a great deal. For my $9.99 a month I get RawTherapee, Darktable, GIMP, Rapid Photo Downloader and 2 TB of storage from Google Drive. Of course the first four are free, but I have cloud backups of every single RAW and jpeg I've ever shot, and have well over a TB free. And I think my results from RawTherapee are as good as anything I could get out of Lightroom.
I didn't say it was a great deal, just that contrary to the misinformation being thrown about on the web, the price has not changed at this time.

---------- Post added 05-09-19 at 08:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Buy the software, install it on my computer, run it whenever I want is far and away better in every regard from my experiences. Part of why I asked a while ago for recommendations for alternatives to LR and PS as I will not pay monthly for online software access. Rant over.
Doc, my experience with using cloud computing is much like yours. However, I am sure you realize that with the Adobe Creative Cloud Photographer's plan the only need for the cloud is for: the initial download of the software that you install and run on your own computer, approximately monthly updates to the software, and about once a month connection to verify that your plan is paid up. I have no problem with anyone choosing to use other software, or objecting to the monthly payment, but the cloud should not be a reason to dismiss LR and PS.
05-09-2019, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

I didn't say it was a great deal, just that contrary to the misinformation being thrown about on the web, the price has not changed at this time.

---------- Post added 05-09-19 at 08:20 AM ----------

Doc, my experience with using cloud computing is much like yours. However, I am sure you realize that with the Adobe Creative Cloud Photographer's plan the only need for the cloud is for: the initial download of the software that you install and run on your own computer, approximately monthly updates to the software, and about once a month connection to verify that your plan is paid up. I have no problem with anyone choosing to use other software, or objecting to the monthly payment, but the cloud should not be a reason to dismiss LR and PS.
Thanks. Yes, but its the principle of the thing. They lie and say its for OUR convenience and to ensure we have the MOST up-to-date software. I call BS. Its all about profit and control on their part. Just like Office365, etc. I'm using LR5.7 right now and I'm mostly fine but I'm considering something more robust that will handle the K1 output.
05-21-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm using LR5.7 right now and I'm mostly fine but I'm considering something more robust that will handle the K1 output.
Consider Capture One from Phase One.

There are some problems with Capture One as well, but at least one can buy the software. The colour editor is much better than what LR has to offer.
The K-1 is fully supported. The K-1 II is only supported via DNG files, but I don't see that as a disadvantage.
05-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Consider Capture One from Phase One.

There are some problems with Capture One as well, but at least one can buy the software.
You are buying a license, not the software. And as we've seen with early versions of Creative Cloud, a license can be revoked at any time.
05-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You are buying a license, not the software.
I never heard of such a permanent licence being revoked.

Furthermore, since the software doesn't depend on online authorisation, you can continue using it, even if someone decides to "revoke the license".