Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2019, 05:39 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raw to jpeg: retaining exif data

Real noob to digital, a lot to learn.

Budget considerations have me using free imaging windows pc software: Paint.net and Irfanview (all plugins).

The problem: when I am converting my K50 raw (.dng) files to jpeg using either software, I seem to lose all the exif settings.

When uploading such images to Pentax forums I also notice that when clicked on my uploads do not seem to allow magnification, whereas I find other posters' uploads seem to mostly have exif data, and, when viewed, allow some magnification.

What do I need to know/do??

05-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Try Faststone image viewer
05-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using windows, so if you're on a Mac it may be different, but when using the Save or SaveAs function in IrfanView, I get two dialog boxes, one pertains to where on the computer I want to save the file and the accompanying box pertaining to JPG save options. Simply check which of the setting you want to retain in the saved image.
05-05-2019, 06:47 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Real noob to digital, a lot to learn.

Budget considerations have me using free imaging windows pc software: Paint.net and Irfanview (all plugins).

The problem: when I am converting my K50 raw (.dng) files to jpeg using either software, I seem to lose all the exif settings.

When uploading such images to Pentax forums I also notice that when clicked on my uploads do not seem to allow magnification, whereas I find other posters' uploads seem to mostly have exif data, and, when viewed, allow some magnification.

What do I need to know/do??
Check the settings of whatever software you use to see if there the option to include exif data.

Regards posting pictures here:

if you post directly from your computer using the "Manage Attachments" dialogue box the website will resize your image. If instead you link to an image hosted on a website such as Flickr, by using the "insert image" button (in the tool tray above where you type your text message), the image will be displayed at a default size and can be shown full size when clicked. Look at the two images below. Both are 1440*1440 pixels but one is posted directly (and has been resized by the website to 900*900), the other linked.

The other thing to note is that the one posted directly has a little "view picture exif" link above it. this is created by the website. The one that was linked to from Flickr does not have that, but exif data is still intact and can be viewed by any exif viewer add-on that you can install for your browser.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by pschlute; 05-05-2019 at 06:53 AM.
05-05-2019, 07:15 AM   #5

There is a site named PortableApps.com that is set up to be installed on a thumb or external drive.
PA has a couple of hundred apps, including many you will already be familiar with, such as Google Chrome and Apache's Open Office, all designed to be run without being installed on the computer itself. (There is a little bit of data on the computer, much like cookies from a website.) The programs will usually be one or two iterations behind the current commercial release.
I bring this up, because they have Raw Therapee as one of their portable apps. It will open .raw, .dng, .pef and .jpg files, among others, and you can carry it with you to any computer you can plug into. I keep a 64gb thumb drive loaded with PA in my camera bag, just in case.

Kirk B.
05-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

try using exiftools ( ExifTool by Phil Harvey ) it is the de facto tool for working with picture metadata. I'm regaining my exif ant iptc information with two batch-scripts, which fit my needs.
05-05-2019, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both Raw Therapee and Darktable have Windows builds, as I recall. I assume that you have a means, internal or external, for digitizing your film. I send my film out to be developed and scanned, and the result, whether in jpeg or tiff format, can be meddled with [post-processed] using those relatively complex free programs. I wouldn't expect much exif data to be present on a scanned film image, though.

pschlute: Thanks for the clear explanation.

05-05-2019, 08:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
pschlute: Thanks for the clear explanation.
You are very welcome. I am pleased to know my time on this planet has not been wasted
05-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What if you use the Pentax Digital Camera Utility that comes with your camera? Will that retain the exif information? (I don't use this software much)
05-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all.

I have seen the box in Irfanview with boxes ticked for "keep original exif data" and so on - doesn't seem to make a difference.

kaseki: Not sure where the "film" came in: I was referring to digital photographs taken in my Pentax K50, but thanks anyway.

Will check out the other software packages suggested. Never been too keen on installing too many random pieces of software on my computer, but if they really help,.....

But perhaps I may in future create links to my pics on Onedrive.
05-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks all.

kaseki: Not sure where the "film" came in: I was referring to digital photographs taken in my Pentax K50, but thanks anyway.

I'll check out the other software packages suggested. Never been too keen on installing too many random pieces of software on my computer, but if they really help,.....
My brain must have fixated on your first camera reference in your signature. Anyway, Darktable usage tutorials may be found on Youtube and may provide a basis for consideration. It has the scope of functionality, more or less, as Lightroom from Adobe. Similarly Raw Therapee has similar purpose. There is a significant user manual for it at (I think) pixel.us the site for free (as in beer) photo software.
PIXLS.US - Free/Open Source Photography