Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Ok why does the gimp look completely blue

I've taken to editing my photos mostly in Digikam because I find it convenienter. But Sometimes I want to use the Gimp for something or other. But now for some reason everything is horribly blue. I mean obviously. The photos look fine in digikam and gwenview and on my digital picture frame. What could be going on here? I don't think it always happens, in fact when I opened this screenshot in gimp it looked 'normal'. What I did was opened a photo in gwenview and then opened it in Gimp. The smaller bluer window is gimp.

Attached Images

10-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Is that a RAW or JPG file? To me, it looks like a white balance issue. You may have to define your color management profile under GIMP's preferences. I have never done this, but it's the most obvious thing I can think of.
10-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, sounds like a color profile issue. You need to have your monitor calibrated and then use programs that correctly interpret the colourspace that the file is in (eg. SRGB, AdobeRGB etc.). Do you know if you have X set up for colour mangement? digikam, gimp?
10-07-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Inactive Account

White Balance indeed.

10-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's a jpg file.
QuoteQuote:
Do you know if you have X set up for colour mangement? digikam, gimp?
I don't know, so probably not.
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Gimp has some colour management options. Try messing around with them to see if you can get the colour to go the same as the other programs. BUT then you'll still need to figure out what the "right" colour is.

This matters because when you post your stuff on the web, or get it printed you presumably want it to look the same as what you saw on your screen.
10-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my gimp is usually in black, (leather of course)

Last edited by Taff; 10-07-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
10-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Gimp has some colour management options. Try messing around with them to see if you can get the colour to go the same as the other programs. BUT then you'll still need to figure out what the "right" colour is.

This matters because when you post your stuff on the web, or get it printed you presumably want it to look the same as what you saw on your screen.
What can you do to ensure that screen and print are exactly the same? I got some pictures printed the other day and they were all overly yellow compared to what's on screen. I've never messed around with color spaces before and I don't pretend to know it either.
10-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
my gimp is usually in black, (leather of course)
My favorite movie ever!

BTW, that definitely looks like a WB issue...
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
What can you do to ensure that screen and print are exactly the same? I got some pictures printed the other day and they were all overly yellow compared to what's on screen. I've never messed around with color spaces before and I don't pretend to know it either.
Well, it's easier said than done. First you need to calibrate your monitor. This usually involves buying some sort of hardware that you point at your monitor so it can measure the colour quantitatively. You can so some "calibration" without hardware using just software, but then it depends on your eyes and is subjective. Then you need to make sure you have all the colour management stuff set up properly on your computer (usually in the operating system you select the colour profile you created during the calibration procedure and use that for your monitor). Then when you save files to be sent out for printing (eg. exporting from your favourite software) you make sure that you inlcude some reasonable colour profile, most often sRGB. Then you need to make sure that your printshop is half-on the ball and their printer recognizes the colour profile and ALSO doesn't "tweak" your photo to make it look "better." Then it should work out.

Sometimes you can get colour profiles for printers themselves. I believe this helps you properly predict what the print will look like by simulating the effect on your monitor. I don't think you are supposed to export the files with this profile however. Try searching the web on this subject. It's a little complicated.
10-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is a sample of what I'm talking about. The top picture is out of the camera. The bottom picture is what was developed. Now is that just a crappy development studio or did a bad color space have something to do with it?

I had printed this photo for a local contest and the outcome made me not submit.
Attached Images