Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2019, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

**The Great Cloud Backup Storage Post**

Another Bruce post so please get yer coffee/tea/bowl of cereal

So only now have I really been in a position to consider backing up to the cloud. My area is still on ADSL2+, in fact we're not even with fibre technically speaking till October this year, but my ADSL2+ modem died on the weekend and rather than replace that with something that will be obsolete within a season I just opted for Wireless Broadband 4gPlus and am getting 60-75mb/s dl speeds and 3-10mb/s ul. (Adsl2+ was 5mb dl and 0.8 ul).

"But Bruce! Why bother with cloud? Just back up to an external HDD!"

That's what I've been doing, but that means all the data is under one roof. No family to offload a hdd to or workplace to store, and even if there was it's not idea is it. If I get a fire (I live in a bushfire zone area) or theft... I've lost important clients work. Cloud seems very sensible.

Ok, so now I am looking into options and services. Here's what I have found out thus far;

Google Drive; 200gb = $44/year, 2tb = $125/year

One Drive; 1tb = $99/year (includes Office 365)

Dropbox; 2tb = $184/year (ouch!)

Adobe Creative Cloud; 1tb = $263/yr (includes LR/PS/LR CC/Adobe Portfolio etc).

As someone who already pays $14.29/month for LR/PS/Adobe Portfolio subscription, to go from the 20gb of online storage that they provide on that plan up to 1tb = $21.99/month (an additional $7.70/month, ie $92.40/year).

I also wondered about EASE of backing up clients data. I'm not really that fussed over some of my personal files, they don't CHANGE that much. When I think of 'what new files need backed up' it's ALWAYS images, images made and created in LR/PS.

So I did a little test today. I did a small job for a client last month, 30 RAW images processed in LR. I opened that catalog (I catalog per job, ie create new catalog for a new job/client) and highlighted all the pictures, I then went File>Export as Catalog and then navigated to the Creative Cloud Files folder (and gave the export a sensible name) and clicked 'Ok'.

Voila!... inside the Creative Cloud Files I saw my folder appear, and inside that was the catalog file and duplication of RAW images (in a folder of their own).

Of course I needed to wait awhile for it all to be synced but it seemed to work just fine. From the Adobe Creative Cloud application I could see the progress and choose to pause it if I wanted to.

So I wonder if anyone else is doing this?

I contacted Adobe support, they told me what I was doing was NOT advisable because there is a max file limit of 1gb. They also said that it's intention was for LR CC files.

But I dunno... I really like the idea of using LR and a feature they have in their pulldown menu to also handle the cloud side of backing up...

I could go with another cloud storage provider, but that approach feels more convoluted and manual in getting the right files and catalog dropped into their folders... 🤔

Thoughts people?

06-03-2019, 02:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Backblaze which costs about $8 a month. What I like about it is that it just backs up in the background, even if your computer isn't switched on. The initial backup takes a long time but once that's done it just does its thing without you needing to attend to it.
06-03-2019, 02:51 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I use Backblaze which costs about $8 a month. What I like about it is that it just backs up in the background, even if your computer isn't switched on. The initial backup takes a long time but once that's done it just does its thing without you needing to attend to it.
I also use Backblaze, and I agree that the backup-computer-variant is probably easier, but if you're willing to spend a few minutes, then their b2 cloud storage option is even cheaper (probably, depending on how much data). I pay about $2 per month for about 400 gb of raw file storage cloud backup that I can reach from any browser! So 1tb I guess would be something like $5 per month or 60 per year.

They have various interfaces for different NAS:es etc. that they integrate with, but I don't use that but simply use their b2-command-line tool and run a one-line-command once in a while to backup my entire photo drive to a "bucket" i set up (it syncs changes, not all 400gb each time). But it could probably be automated so it's run every time something changes on that disk if you want to.
06-03-2019, 03:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
I also use Backblaze, and I agree that the backup-computer-variant is probably easier, but if you're willing to spend a few minutes, then their b2 cloud storage option is even cheaper (probably, depending on how much data). I pay about $2 per month for about 400 gb of raw file storage cloud backup that I can reach from any browser! So 1tb I guess would be something like $5 per month or 60 per year.

They have various interfaces for different NAS:es etc. that they integrate with, but I don't use that but simply use their b2-command-line tool and run a one-line-command once in a while to backup my entire photo drive to a "bucket" i set up (it syncs changes, not all 400gb each time). But it could probably be automated so it's run every time something changes on that disk if you want to.
I used Crashplan a few years back, even paid for the seeded program where they send out a HDD for you to copy the contents across to and mail back, just so that it speeds up the initial upload thing. Problem was I underestimated the amount of changes I was making on my PC and how poor my adsl2+ upload speeds were. I never could keep up, never fully synced. And if I really tried to keep it going it just lagged me bad.

Backblaze sounds similar, may I ask you fine gents what kind of upload speeds you experience? I'm only getting about 5mb/s, and this is on data plans where I am not on unlimited (no NBN yet).

I like the idea of backing up more than just the RAW files and LR catalogs from a job, such as some personal (non image) files as well as perhaps more RAWs of the same job but that were initially culled and never made it into LR's library etc. But I fear my data plan and upload speeds must be taken into account, I doubt I can cope with a service like Crashplan or Backblaze currently.

I have just had the thought tho, with LR's feature to 'File>Export as Catalog' and pick a location, I don't have to dump it on the Creative Cloud Files folder, I could dump it on Onedrive, or Googledrive or anything really.

The adobe rep was not very comfortable with me using the Creative Cloud Files being used as catalog backup, he really felt as though I would run into problems (1gb was max file size limit), does that exist for other services too? It's possible one of my composite shots could generate a 1gb tiff file, if what he says is true it might prove troublesome...
Creative Clouds Files was apparently conceived for those using LR CC, something I have never used.

06-03-2019, 04:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After two external hard drive failures (and complete loss of one set of vacation images, about 3,000) I've decided to invest in some sort of backup system. I purchased 2TB of dropbox, but that isn't enough, so I'll probably go to their $20/month "package" which has unlimited storage (figure I wont live long enough to fill it). BUT ALSO, I'm investing in some solid-state external drives. Two sets of four, a red set and blue set. Only plugged in when I'm transferring. The plan: backup everything on the red drives on the first of the month. Then backup on the blue drives on the first of the next month (or maybe after two months) and wipe the red ones clean. One or two months later, backup on the reds and wipe the blues, etc. ALSO: each time I have new files, for example from a vacation, backup these on the desktop computer's hard drive in addition to the external drives that are linked to LR & PS. Then the next time I backup to the blues or reds, the extra batch saved on the computer's drive can be dumped. The SS externals should be reliable a very long time, as they are only activated for a few hours once a month, or once every two months. The 3 or 4TB each drives I plan to use are available for about $100 apiece, which sounds like a heavy investment, but considering that recovery all but 3,000 images from the last external drive failure cost about $2600*.

*$2600 = 10+ years of unlimited storage on dropbox, won't live that long either, I don't think.
06-03-2019, 05:23 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

couldn't one use Flickr as a cloud backup?
06-03-2019, 05:29 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I would not trust flicker, or facebook, or twitter, etc. with my rejects. All social media programs seem to have shown themselves to be untrustworthy with the most minimal of personal information, and once something of yours has escaped one of those sites, where does it go? how do you regain control or possession?

06-03-2019, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using Onedrive for the last few years. Works well.

On top of that, I image my machines with Macrium Reflect onto external hard drives. The advantage of that is that, while most data backup services backup your data, most do not backup your machines operating system(s). As result, if you have a hardware failure, it's a good day or three wasted to set up a new machine to have the setup you like, all the way from e-mail to software, to printer setups, to desktop layout, etc, etc.

With Macrium Reflect, you simply restore the entire setup from your backup and you're back up and running without much delay and with very little brain pain.
06-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I personally back up both locally (portable SSD) and cloud, and for just the reasons you mention Bruce. I'm in a area supposedly prone to hurricanes (it's really not in recent decades) and decided on Google Drive/Photos. So far VERY pleased, especially the ease of locating photos I might not have properly keyworded, or more likely at all. :/

I paid $99/year for 2TB but perhaps that was a grandfathered rate? Not sure.
06-03-2019, 05:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Zenfolio also gives you unlimited storage as part of your plan, plus 2GB of free RAW file storage.

Pricing plans for photography websites.Sell your work at Zenfolio

QuoteQuote:
your account includes unlimited storage for image display files (e.g., JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG) (“Image Files”). For additional fees, you may also store camera raw image files (“Raw Files”).
All accounts with current plans come with 2GB of RAW storage free. Beyond that, costs are:

AUD $.085 / GB / month

Note: There is a maximum size per individual file of 2GB.

https://www.zenfolio.com/au/z/help/support-center#/customer/en/portal/articl...w-file-storage
06-03-2019, 10:36 AM - 4 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Cloud storage for backup is only as good as the solvency of the provider and only as secure as conventional measures to prevent mischief. There is also the issue of upload caps by broadband providers. Despite having an AWS account that would allow for relatively cheap storage, I think I will pass.

Steve
06-03-2019, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just my opinion, but any important text files must be encrypted such that any leak on the cloud will not imperil your secret data.
06-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Just my opinion, but any important text files must be encrypted such that any leak on the cloud will not imperil your secret data.
Both Google and Apple cloud services encrypt your data before it ever leaves your device.
06-03-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
After two external hard drive failures (and complete loss of one set of vacation images, about 3,000) I've decided to invest in some sort of backup system. I purchased 2TB of dropbox, but that isn't enough, so I'll probably go to their $20/month "package" which has unlimited storage (figure I wont live long enough to fill it). BUT ALSO, I'm investing in some solid-state external drives. Two sets of four, a red set and blue set. Only plugged in when I'm transferring. The plan: backup everything on the red drives on the first of the month. Then backup on the blue drives on the first of the next month (or maybe after two months) and wipe the red ones clean. One or two months later, backup on the reds and wipe the blues, etc. ALSO: each time I have new files, for example from a vacation, backup these on the desktop computer's hard drive in addition to the external drives that are linked to LR & PS. Then the next time I backup to the blues or reds, the extra batch saved on the computer's drive can be dumped. The SS externals should be reliable a very long time, as they are only activated for a few hours once a month, or once every two months. The 3 or 4TB each drives I plan to use are available for about $100 apiece, which sounds like a heavy investment, but considering that recovery all but 3,000 images from the last external drive failure cost about $2600*.

*$2600 = 10+ years of unlimited storage on dropbox, won't live that long either, I don't think.
Sorry to hear for your loss :'(

I have to be careful with what I upload as my plans are not unlimited. Mine is really about being selective with the content to be backed up, and rather than 'everything all the time approach' I need to choose carefully. Perhaps you to might want to be selective on your images as well, backup the ones that survived phase one cull?

2TB is not enough, not for everything all the time, I do agree. From my perspective however I was thinking more about storing clients work only and for a period of just 2-4yrs. 1tb = roughly 50 weddings, I doubt I'll even do 2 more this year and more than 5 next year, so I think even 1tb is plenty for me right now (as well as providing some space for personal files as well etc).

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
No, flickr only supports Jpgs, no RAWs.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I would not trust flicker, or facebook, or twitter, etc. with my rejects. All social media programs seem to have shown themselves to be untrustworthy with the most minimal of personal information, and once something of yours has escaped one of those sites, where does it go? how do you regain control or possession?
Well Flickr went through their recent server switch, huge job, down for a couple of days and I don't think any one actually loss data (just screwed up comments/statistics etc). But yeah, they are primary a site for viewing images, not backing up.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've been using Onedrive for the last few years. Works well.

On top of that, I image my machines with Macrium Reflect onto external hard drives. The advantage of that is that, while most data backup services backup your data, most do not backup your machines operating system(s). As result, if you have a hardware failure, it's a good day or three wasted to set up a new machine to have the setup you like, all the way from e-mail to software, to printer setups, to desktop layout, etc, etc.

With Macrium Reflect, you simply restore the entire setup from your backup and you're back up and running without much delay and with very little brain pain.
Yeah, its a good point about imaging the OS, I do that with Acronis, but not nearly enough. I need to fix that.

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I personally back up both locally (portable SSD) and cloud, and for just the reasons you mention Bruce. I'm in a area supposedly prone to hurricanes (it's really not in recent decades) and decided on Google Drive/Photos. So far VERY pleased, especially the ease of locating photos I might not have properly keyworded, or more likely at all. :/

I paid $99/year for 2TB but perhaps that was a grandfathered rate? Not sure.
Good to know.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Zenfolio also gives you unlimited storage as part of your plan, plus 2GB of free RAW file storage.

Pricing plans for photography websites.Sell your work at Zenfolio

All accounts with current plans come with 2GB of RAW storage free. Beyond that, costs are:

AUD $.085 / GB / month

Note: There is a maximum size per individual file of 2GB.

https://www.zenfolio.com/au/z/help/support-center#/customer/en/portal/articl...w-file-storage
Thanks but 2gb for RAW is not nearly enough for my purposes, but thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cloud storage for backup is only as good as the solvency of the provider and only as secure as conventional measures to prevent mischief. There is also the issue of upload caps by broadband providers. Despite having an AWS account that would allow for relatively cheap storage, I think I will pass.

Steve
Well... I mulled it over a lot, I mean I think my data with a major provider like MS, Google, Drop or Adobe is safer and more secure than 2-3 back up drives all under one roof. When you factor in ease of offsite backing up to the cloud (ie not needing to pass hdd to loved ones and the hassle of having to leave your own premises to go collect said HDD should you need it back) I think is worth it.

In fact once on the cloud I doubt I would bother with any other kind of backing up (save perhaps regular imaging of the OS).
06-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote

Well... I mulled it over a lot, I mean I think my data with a major provider like MS, Google, Drop or Adobe is safer and more secure than 2-3 back up drives all under one roof. When you factor in ease of offsite backing up to the cloud (ie not needing to pass hdd to loved ones and the hassle of having to leave your own premises to go collect said HDD should you need it back) I think is worth it.

In fact once on the cloud I doubt I would bother with any other kind of backing up (save perhaps regular imaging of the OS).
I would still keep a local copy, and in fact ALL my photos (other than the one stars) are kept on external drives that can be easily carried to another computer if I wish (and have) and NOT on internal storage. I think it would be something you might regret if your only copy of a photo exists "in the cloud".

I know there are those prosumer shooters who use Adobe LR cloud as their photo repository and might only have a few special images if anything stored locally. I wouldn't even consider that myself.