Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
After our recent election results and your upload speeds I am now moving to NZ.
(Laughs)

NZ did it properly.

We should have split Telstra into one retail company and an infrastructure one that would've built the NBN.

06-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We should have split Telstra into one retail company and an infrastructure one that would've built the NBN.
In 1975, Fraser should never have broken apart the PMG in the first place. All things considered, little net benefit to the country has come of that.
06-15-2019, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After our recent election results and your upload speeds I am now moving to NZ.
LOL. You're more than welcome mate!
08-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #64

Photos: Gallery
Bruce,
Have you considered Squarespace? It starts at $12USD/month and includes unlimited storage (I have not checked whether they accommodate raw files). Squarespace Pricing - All Pricing Plans ? Squarespace
You might be able to use the "Publish" module in LR to upload your images to the cloud on a regular basis. This is not as "behind the scenes" as the standard back up software, but it keeps you working within LR? Just a thought... (This post was NOT sponsored by Squarespace! :-D )

08-07-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Bruce,
Have you considered Squarespace? It starts at $12USD/month and includes unlimited storage (I have not checked whether they accommodate raw files). Squarespace Pricing - All Pricing Plans ? Squarespace
You might be able to use the "Publish" module in LR to upload your images to the cloud on a regular basis. This is not as "behind the scenes" as the standard back up software, but it keeps you working within LR? Just a thought... (This post was NOT sponsored by Squarespace! :-D )
No thanks for that, I hadn't considered SS. Currently I use Adobe Portfolio and Behance as my 'websites' but they obviously lack a lot of features a real provider gives. If there is a website host that will also allow me to throw up some RAW files then that is attractive. My concern is they won't do RAWs and LR Catalog files etc (same as Flickr's unlimited storage, I have over 4000 images on my account which amounts to only 60gb).

I'm also seeing articles about LR publishing services and how some work and some don't anymore, it's not a great system to rely on basically as services change their stance etc.
08-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #66

Photos: Gallery
If there is a website host that will also allow me to throw up some RAW files then that is attractive.

Another thought is just using a generic host such as www.BlueHost.com as a storage site for your raw files. You could probably set up a secure space to upload the raw files for a reasonable cost. I will be working through this same solution in the near future as well ... so thanks for be a "guinea pig" for the rest of us :-D I am interested in finding out which solution you end up with and how it works for you.

My Flickr account only hosts about 1100 images currently. I also have an Adobe Portfolio site that is my current "website", until I find time and inspiration to create a full blown integrated website with client area, gallery, e-store, cloud storage, blog ... no time for all that right now!
08-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Another thought is just using a generic host such as www.BlueHost.com as a storage site for your raw files. You could probably set up a secure space to upload the raw files for a reasonable cost. I will be working through this same solution in the near future as well ... so thanks for be a "guinea pig" for the rest of us :-D I am interested in finding out which solution you end up with and how it works for you.

My Flickr account only hosts about 1100 images currently. I also have an Adobe Portfolio site that is my current "website", until I find time and inspiration to create a full blown integrated website with client area, gallery, e-store, cloud storage, blog ... no time for all that right now!
Yes I feel we are both in a similar situation.

Right now I am still testing my internet capacity. Just to summarise I am actually not on any Unlimited plan. I am using two mobile/wireless connections, one that is data pooling from my wife and mine mobile phone plans (160gb in total) and the other a 200gb wireless broadband connection.

The speeds I get with the 200gb wireless broadband are decent for downloads (60-80mbp/s) but poor for uploading (2-3mb/s). The speeds I get from our mobile plans are 30mbp/s downloads but a better upload at around 5-10mb/s.

Thus far (for this family of four) we have only been through one complete data cycle of which we had 80gb left over from the collective 360gb in total. But then there was no major uploading of RAWs anywhere, or continuous syncing etc.

Right now I am carrying a left over spare 2.5 inch 500gb ssd with me (effectively making me the cloud). It could be that when going to a cloud solution I will have to increase my wireless broadband from 200gb/month to 500gb (which really should be plenty) but that already means $20/month extra, before even factoring in a cloud service. And then if I do use a website like square space... it all adds up (hence my keenness to just carry a drive around with me and have it regularly synced with my PC all the time, as it is simply cheaper although riskier due to more human error mistakes etc).