Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2019, 08:52 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More DXO PhotoLab goodness!!

I just downloaded a PhotoLab 2.2 update and to my surprise there was a NIK Collection button integrated into the GUI of PhotoLab. Now this looks like progress on DXO's part. I have to do a bit of research now to see how this will all work. It still retains the local adjustments so this is outstanding.

NIK acts as a plugin for PhotoLab

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-05-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more info
06-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I just downloaded a PhotoLab 2.2 update and to my surprise there was a NIK Collection button integrated into the GUI of PhotoLab. Now this looks like progress on DXO's part. I have to do a bit of research now to see how this will all work. It still retains the local adjustments so this is outstanding.
NIK acts as a plugin for PhotoLab

I take it you mean v2.3, which I just installed myself, but yes, there is the said button which lets you export directly into the Nik-Plugins.

Plus, they have just released a new version (v2) of the Nik Collection itself. Installed the 30-day demo and am pretty sure that I will upgrade to the new version. Glad to see DxO seems committed to integrating and developing the Nik plugins further.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 06-06-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo fixed
06-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FYI Nik Collection is included with PhotoLab 2 and it looks like PhotoLab is on sale right now for $99.99 for Essential normally $129.99 and Elite $149.99 normally $199.99; if you wait a month it'll probably be back at regular price.

Edit: I just upgraded to Nik Collection 2 for $59 which INCLUDES PhotoLab 2 Essential.
It looks like Nik Collection 2 stand alone is $149 on sale now for $99

Just an FYI

Last edited by brightseal; 06-05-2019 at 07:26 PM.
06-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
I take it you mean v2.3, which I just installed myself, but yes, there is the said button which lets you export directly into the Nik-Plugins.

Plus, they have just released a new version (v2) of the Nik Collection itself. Installed the 30-day demo and am pretty sure that I will upgrade to the new version. Glad to see DxO seems committed to integrating and developing the Nik-Plugins further.
Yes, the upgrade to Ver. 2.3 is what I was referring to. I've been pretty busy today but I plan to get more into the program tonight. There were quite few new camera bodies added as well as new lens. From what I have read the Ver. 2.3 Elite contains the Nik Collection 2 and there are a good many upgrades to NIK Collection 2.

Not bad for a company that all the "In the know folks" here were saying last year was shutting down soon.

06-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
FYI Nik Collection is included with PhotoLab 2 and it looks like PhotoLab is on sale right now for $99.99 for Essential normally $129.99 and Elite $149.99 normally $199.99; if you wait a month it'll probably be back at regular price. But do you have to buy over again and again every new version of PhotoLab that comes out?

PS: You can still use Nik Collection 2018 as normal but it will no longer be updated or upgraded from here on out.

Edit: Actually, since I already had Nik Collection 2018; received an email offer to upgrade to Nik Collection 2 for $59 which INCLUDES PhotoLab 2 Essential.
It looks like Nik Collection 2 stand alone is going to cost $149
I've been a PhotoLab Elite customer ever since PL was introduced.
06-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been a PhotoLab Elite customer ever since PL was introduced.
My comment was for the guy with the 30 day trial version but tell me something though; do you have to pay for upgrades?
06-05-2019, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
My comment was for the guy with the 30 day trial version but tell me something though; do you have to pay for upgrades?
When PhotoLab was first offered I bought that version and when Ver. 2 was released I bought it at a very reduced price and Ver. 2.3 was a free up grade to Ver. 2. When Ver. 3 is released there will probably be a charge just like going from photoLab to Ver. 2 was. I like their software and so far each up grade has been to my liking. If I decided to forgo an upgrade I won't lose functionality like some "notorious" Raw developer software. Intra versions there is no upgrade charge but inter versions there is an upgrade charge.

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-05-2019 at 07:11 PM.
06-05-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the heads up Larry. I've been holding off getting the Nik Collection because of the lack of linkage but I might jump in now.

I've been using DxO software for some years now and I am quite happy with it. For anyone considering the jump to Photo Lab my tip would be to skip the Essentials edition and get Elite instead. It's well worth the extra.
06-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

From what I have read the Ver. 2.3 Elite contains the Nik Collection 2
Unfortunately that is not true.

They should do that, but they haven't.

But ironically, when you pay for the Nik Collection 2, they give you PhotoLab 2 Essential Edition for free.

"Nik Collection 2 is a formidable suite of plugins offering an impressive range of creative effects and innovative tools (Now including DxO PhotoLab 2 Essential)."

Last edited by rawr; 06-05-2019 at 10:01 PM.
06-06-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Unfortunately that is not true.

They should do that, but they haven't.

But ironically, when you pay for the Nik Collection 2, they give you PhotoLab 2 Essential Edition for free.

"Nik Collection 2 is a formidable suite of plugins offering an impressive range of creative effects and innovative tools (Now including DxO
PhotoLab 2 Essential)."
You are quite correct. Apologies to everyone, after delving a bit deeper PhotoLab 2.3 does not contain nor load any NIK collection 2 software. I read a news article early yesterday morning that quoted DXO as saying it did contain the NIK Collection 2 software but doing a search online for the article its nowhere to be found on the internet today. What DXO actually did was to provide a button link to existing NIK Collection programming if it was found on your computer. So the "easy button" is there if you have a copy of any NIK Collection on your computer.
06-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote

Plus, they have just released a new version (v2) of the Nik Collection itself. Installed the 30-day demo and am pretty sure that I will upgrade to the new version. Glad to see DxO seems committed to integrating and developing the Nik-Plugins further.
A bit of warning if you install a trial of NIK Collection 2 when it installs it will over write any existing copy of even the Google version of NIK collection. According to what I have read if you uninstall NIK2 the uninstall program will re-install your old copy of NIK but some people say to save a copy of your older NIK Collection program and not trust the re-install.
06-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bit of warning if you install a trial of NIK Collection 2 when it installs it will over write any existing copy of even the Google version of NIK collection. According to what I have read if you uninstall NIK2 the uninstall program will re-install your old copy of NIK but some people say to save a copy of your older NIK Collection program and not trust the re-install.

Thanks for the hint, Larrymc. I recall that specific detail from the installation process. It didn't bother me in particular since I obtained Nik Collection 2018 as a paying customer and FAIK could redownload it from my account on DxO's website.

Not that it matters all that much because I knew once I had tried out the export directly from PhotoLab 2.3 Elite into several Nik plugins that I will definitely pick up v2, possibly even within the launch price window till 30 June (upgrade from Nik Collection 2018 will set you back €59.99 here in Germany till then).
06-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A bit of warning if you install a trial of NIK Collection 2 when it installs it will over write any existing copy of even the Google version of NIK collection.
I have the Google Nik Collection installed (it was a free download before DxO acquired it). I haven't bought the DxO Nik Collection 2.

When I click on the "Nik Collection" button (new in DxO PL Elite 2.3) it brings up a box headed "Plugin selector" with a list of the Google Nik Collection programs (e.g. HDR Efex Pro 2). Click on one of those and PL will export the selected image to the chosen Google Nik program, which opens with that image. There is a settings button to choose the export format (I used 16-bit TIFF). Very cool.

I guess that's why installing the DxO Nik Collection overwrites any installed Google Nik collection.

The Google Nik Collection interface is a bit clunky, so I might upgrade to the DxO version anyway, but it's handy to have the free option in the meantime. The direct export button makes it simpler to use.

Last edited by Des; 06-06-2019 at 03:52 PM.
06-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Robin Whalley's tube video may be of use in helping you evaluate whether Nik Collection 2 could be for you or not:

06-28-2019, 08:18 PM   #15
Forum Member

I am trying to purchase Nik Collection 2 at the discounted price of $99US with Photolab essentials edition thrown in. This deal only lasts till June 30. Each time I try on the DXO
website it comes up with the full price (149) and the full price of Photolab. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to enter a code to get the promo price?