Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photo Editing Software

Hi Group, I'm looking for some new photo editing software. I started with Jasco Paintshop Pro and Windows 3.11 then Corel's Paintshop Pro X which is giving me trouble on my new laptop which is running the latest version of Windows 10. I'm looking at Paintshop Pro 2019, Adobe's Photoshop and Lightroom Classic, I have Adobe's Photoshop 7 which seems to run fine, and Skylum's Luminar 3. Was maybe looking for something a little more modern and fairly easy to use that would run on a 64 bit system. I also have a desktop that runs Linux so I have ti use Gimp on it. It's kind of limited compared what is available for Windows and Mac's. Thanks, Jim

06-14-2019, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

The Lightroom and Photoshop combo is really hard to beat. DxO Photolab is excellent if your camera is supported.
06-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am using Skylum's Luminar Flex, which is Luminar 3 without the cataloging/library overhead - absolutely love it...
06-14-2019, 07:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldseabee Quote
Skylum's Luminar 3
I am a long time Photoshop/Lightroom user and I am tired of the Adobe games. So I have started playing around with Luminar 3 for my RAW processing and I really like it a lot. I also bought One1 software for RAW processing and like it even more than Luminar.

One1 is billed as a replacement for PS/LR but I have to check it out to make sure. The only drawback is the full capability of Photoshop is missing from Luminar. For that I had purchase Affinity Photo (AF) when it first came out but I have not used it much. I have seen a few online ads showing what it can do and it seems to match Photoshop. So by the end of the year I am going to completely eliminate PS/LR and use a Luminar/One1/AF combo to get my work done.

You have Lumnar 3 already. Give it a try. It is a very capable and powerful software. If you want to explore other options, check out One1 and Affinity Photo. They both have trial periods for you to check them out. Affinity was only $50 and One1 was $70. Buying all theses softwares and owning them for good cost as much as one year of PS/LR subscription. And you do not have to deal with log in issues and the problems it presents with PS/LR.

06-14-2019, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Affinity Photo.
06-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've got Paint Shop Pro 2019 on my Win 10 64bit box, runs good. RAW processor is Ehhhh but if you get the PSP and After Shot bundle it's pretty good.
06-14-2019, 08:05 AM - 3 Likes   #7
pid
Pentaxian

CaptureOne 12.1 and Affinity Photo

06-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using On1 Photoraw 2019 for about the last 2 month. I find it to be a more than adequate replacement for lightroom and photoshop. I have used photoshop since the mid 90's and lightroom since 2014.
06-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Affinity Photo.
It's the one that is sticking out. It's affordable and very powerful. And there is a good support forum to ask any question form beginners to professionals.

RAW converter: Pick any one of the current ones. They are all good and equally have their trade-offs. Pick the one that you find the easiest to work with.

My go-to combo is Capture One Pro + Affinity Photo.

If I want to squeeze out every bit of image quality in RAW development, I use DCU or Silkypix DS.
06-14-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

As sbh said, lots of good raw converters, my preference is Darktable.
06-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
Forum Member

Echoing Roadboat24, I've been really enjoying Darktable on Linux. The Windows version seemed a little buggy, but the experience is pretty smooth on Linux.

It's hard to beat free.
06-14-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I am using Skylum's Luminar Flex, which is Luminar 3 without the cataloging/library overhead - absolutely love it...
I didn't even realize they had released Flex. Thanks.
06-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm also running photoshop 7 It still works well for most things.

besides that I also use Krita and Lightzone, both of which are free.

Lightzone is my replacement for lightroom, it's a decent raw converter for *.dng files, has file management, and has a batch converter. It works with a zone based system which is quite different from the photoshop way of doing things (no layers or compositing, or such, it's not really a graphic design software so much as a straight photo editing software).

Krita I just use for noodling about doing photoshop painty & vectory type stuff (I'm still just playing with it still, but it's quite powerful).

I did have the full suite for Adobe and Microsoft products for work for a few years, but after I left I didn't renew the subscription as I simply don't use most of the functionality they offer (I used to use lightzone for large batch conversions even when I had lightroom as I found it crashed less).
06-15-2019, 05:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I use both Photos and Affinity Photo on my two Mac computers. The combination works well for me. I can use Affinity Photo with as an add in for Photos or I could use it as a stand alone program. For me using Photos as the primary software program with Affinity as an add in for more advanced editing works well.
I have not considered photoshop or Lightroom since I do not like that Adobe is forcing users to go to a cloud based service. I prefer having the photo editing program on my computer without having to pay yet another monthly subscription fee.
06-15-2019, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have not considered photoshop or Lightroom since I do not like that Adobe is forcing users to go to a cloud based service. I prefer having the photo editing program on my computer without having to pay yet another monthly subscription fee
You are not forced to use the Adobe cloud. I use the Adobe Photographers plan which includes Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. Both must be installed on your computer. Registering for cloud service is not required.

I think for £10 per month it is terrific value.